IMPORTANT INFORMATION - FTPF 2010

Spike

a bit premature.

The understatement of the month...why are so many burying this event? When none of you have heard from the reps of the Fort itself??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The festivals will continue in one form or another so everyone should HOLD FAST and wait until official announcements are made. Making statements of preferences for the type event WE have built up over the past 4+ years has changed the event to what WE wanted in the event. By doing so it has been forced to be two separate events under one heading. Yes there is PIP and there is the Fort Taylor Pyrate Festival running concurrently on the same island My choice is the fort festival and it is not for marketability it is for those who want to attend... Yes better marketing could be done for the FTPF with street banners or arrangements for the trams to announce or swing into the park but that would need to be worked out by the Friends of the Fort ... Folks need to wait and see what the Friends of the Fort have to say.

If PIP and the Fort Taylor Pyrate Festival are going to continue in harmony perhaps WE need to address which one we mean in our posts. The reenactors who want the period encampment and the battles of the scale we saw in '09 should hold fast and see how this storm plays out ...WE may find out it is a TEMPEST IN A TEACUP!!!

Edited by callenish gunner

kinda missed the need for the understated animosity in this reply....i see nothing wrong with stating (publicly) likes and dislikes for an event...specifically so the "powers that be" understand what works and dosent work and why some would attend and others would not....otherwise how is growth to be expected?

if i missed something please point it out.

thanks,

me

You haven't missed anything. You actually live outside the issue I was discussing and the point I was making, and you should be grateful for it. I am not attempting to police opinion where opinion can serve, but to stave off the arguments of the old hurts that often go nowhere at all. The points that you and others are making about the festival as it is now, are relevant and necessary to growth from here forward.

PIP as a whole has been around a long time and has known its share of successes and hurts. Some of the worst mistakes, some innocent and some accidental or unforeseen, happened as a natural part of the process over the years, but most of them are a part of the festival's past. While it is true that there is some bad blood among a few still, most of us all get along with everyone and have placed the past firmly behind us. Just as we should, choosing instead to focus on what we are rather than what we are not. Fun over fret.

My point was aimed at anyone touching on the old arguments of the past, long since resolved or irrelevant, or placing the blame on the failure of one aspect of the festival at the threshold of the whole.

For example, if the FTPF were to end (and I know that it hasn't and won't) the reasons for such a change would and could only be laid at the doorstep of the fort itself. If the fort chose not to host the FTPF, then PIP should not be blamed. It may simply be forces outside our control and the control of the park services. If the fort as an entity could no longer host us, we should count our lucky stars that we were ever given such a place to live and work and be ourselves unchecked, for we have known a great freedom of expression at the park.

Again, those who needed to be reminded to be fair, were. If you didn't get it, be glad that you don't. It means that you haven't had to endure the same old arguments going back for years and years over matters that happened and cannot be changed.

And please don't apply a tone of animosity when reading any of my posts. Tired resignation at times, sure. Irony maybe. Some frustration laced with here-we-go-again topped with a lighthearted why-oh-why, but I happen to get along very well with even the crustiest of curmudgeons.

Except Stynky...the bastard...

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Well said, William. Well said. I for one hope that it all works out. And if it doesn't, that the encampment finds a new home elsewhere there. Change is never welcomed, but always inevitable, especially in Key West.

So let's all see where the dice rolls. We're all an arm's length away from KW. Few of us here live in the Keys and can even get answers. Let's let those in Key West bring the answers as they get them. Time will take care of this, one way or another.

For me, I hope Fayma chimes in eventually, since she's on their board.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

a bit premature.

The understatement of the month...why are so many burying this event? When none of you have heard from the reps of the Fort itself??

Might I second, third and fourth that sentiment :) Wait until the fort speaks and then decide if you need you get your stockings in a knot.... sheesh....

and before someone says 'why aren't they saying anything' - Believe it or not, we are not priority 1... heck they have Civil War days coming up this weekend so they have a lot more to do right now than worry about us. Be patient...go back to your previously scheduled pirating plans and check back for a response in a few days... patience all... patience.

Unless you like working yourself up into a lather for what may be no purpose at all, whatsoever... in which case... go ahead, just don't rile others up with you for no good reason...

Where's the morning Yoga when we need it... breathe in.....breathe out.....

Tie yourself in a knot and then spend the next couple days recovering from it... :blink: by then perhaps there will be more information to base an opinion on :)

Diosa

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I sit here a little slackjawed at the posting from Spike. All of you who have been involved from the very beginning should be proud of how it grown from the beginning. It would be a very sad day if 'the powers that be' saw the end of Ft. Taylor's involvement with PIP.

I hope that matters and minds will change in the near future and that they need to ride out the storm...so to speak.

In looking back at the beginning of the year, several events are having a hard time of it and fearing to go by the wayside, such as Pyratecon.... http://www.pyratecon.com/pyratecon-2010-is-in-jeopardy.php.

All we can do is sit back and wait for those in power to realize that this is great event.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

For me, I hope Fayma chimes in eventually, since she's on their board.

This is pretty much why I haven't said anything; I don't feel like we really know anything definite. 10 will get you 1 that Fayma hasn't said anything because there is nothing to say yet. Much of it is probably still up in the air - it is only February. A lot may still happen.

However, it is nice to have something to talk about. The pub has been kind of slow lately.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

ROTDLMAO... Yeah Mission...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I am saddened that the FoFT & the fort felt the need to break the contract with the BIB's. Please remember that the BIB's were not the only reason the festival has been thriving. I am also confident that the fort management & the FoFT know that having the encampment & battles on the grounds brings visitors & revenue to the fort. Also note that Spike mentioned that the BIB's, although not the hosts, will still be at the event.

Stop focusing on the negative and look at all the positives of what has been and will be accomplished at this event by ALL of us. Besides MUCH can happen in a year.

Did they have closets on a ship? I know, opening a whole new can of worms akin to bucket boots. :blink:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

The Bone Island Buccaneers have always looked to the Arch Angel crewe as role models........

:blink: ......pfffffftfttttt....crap i just blew my drink thru my nose..... :lol:

Now THAT is what I call a role model. I have seen Not Mad Dog do that, but I think it was at the Pint Guzzling event. :lol:)

I am saddened that the FoFT & the fort felt the need to break the contract with the BIB's. Please remember that the BIB's were not the only reason the festival has been thriving. I am also confident that the fort management & the FoFT know that having the encampment & battles on the grounds brings visitors & revenue to the fort. Also note that Spike mentioned that the BIB's, although not the hosts, will still be at the event.

Stop focusing on the negative and look at all the positives of what has been and will be accomplished at this event by ALL of us. Besides MUCH can happen in a year.

Great advice dear Silkie. While it is sad that the contract has been cancelled this event will surely go on. Everyone deserves a round for the hard work that they put into this event. I think the FoFT will see the value and continue to hold the FTPF.

Edited by Spike

Much like Mission I have remained quiet on this thread, waiting to hear some facts and particulars. That and it's hard to type while simultaneously being slack-jawed, holding my breath and taking a large noggin of (medicinal) rhum, trying all the while to keep my fingers crossed...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

As I commented last year at PiP...things change constantly in Key West. The place is the embodiment of transformation on steroids.

I forget who said it, but I've always liked a quote that I will try an paraphrase from recollection about one of my favorite places on earth:

"Key West is the udder of America where the cream and the crud collect."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

...That and it's hard to type while simultaneously being slack-jawed, holding my breath and taking a large noggin of (medicinal) rhum, trying all the while to keep my fingers crossed...

Captain Jim...Nice trick, that....will you show me how it is done?!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Sure, first you lxcn lsjhdf(while turning blue) and then you v;oasbddfo and anoiihfd. Then use spellcheck before you pass out from lack of oxy.....

Wake up, repeat.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...