IMPORTANT INFORMATION - FTPF 2010

Spike

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! I am still gonna keep my swords crossed and hope that all goes well in the end.

I Love the optimism. Thanks Morgan, I Love ya and we always remember the FTPF memories you captured for us. Keep them swords crossed and yer powder dry.

Let's not put the cart before the horse here. I agree with William, let's hope for the best and let the powers that be do what needs to be done first...once they say tis over then we can bury the beast, but not yet...keep yer chins up.

Aye Captain, chin up. I cannot say for sure what the status of the FTPF event is, only the status of the event contract. I will hope for the best. My intention here is to only communicate what the CEO of the Friends has stated to us and that we are not contracted for 2010. I know that many attendees must plan far in advance and as event organizer also know that plans require time and information. Therefore, when I received notice, I wanted to notify all involved of the change.

Captain Sterling, you have my greatest respect and admiration. And the BIB wish to thank the Arch Angel crewe for their participation. The event would never be the same without your crewe and everything they have done for the FTPF. With Mad Dog's leadership and insight we had our best Pirate battle ever in 2009. Lily's help at camp was invaluable and the whole crewe went above and beyond the call of duty. The Bone Island Buccaneers have always looked to the Arch Angel crewe as role models and peers and we enjoy every minute we spend with your crewe at all the events we have attended together. Thanks for your continued support, friendship and optimism.

I think when the dust has settled the event will continue for a long time to come; if the event provides positive efforts toward the growth of the fort and the maintenance of the fort. The efforts that have been put forth by members of this community have caused this event to grow!

Lets us all hope that this gets worked out in the end, theres alot of time for change before pip.......would be a real shame not to be in the fort though, i really do love this event, it made my year, i should hope it will do the same next time..........best of luck to ya spike, i hope the seas get calmer around bone island <3

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Is'nt Fayma on the Board? Do we have a voice or Spokes person to promote some discussion with the Forts Board?

Communication is key....

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

wow... I think a lot of us have always considered the Fort Taylor part of the festival, to be the main part of the PiP festival.

If there is no Fort part, then there is no period encampment or a place for our Family to gather the way we know and love.

No offense to anyone, but I don't go to the festival for the Plank Walking (as much fun as it is), or for the Wench contest...

I go to camp and spend time with my family and shoot kick ass Pirate Battles! Love the canons and gun powder.

I can dress like a pirate and go run a muck anywhere.. This is disappointing.

i would have to agree......i dont think i been away from the fort very much in the past 3 years....maybe a night er 2....but that was generally it.....

sorry folks...if the powers to be end up no Fort....then no PiP fer me :lol:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

:lol: ......pfffffftfttttt....crap i just blew my drink thru my nose..... :lol:

Figures :lol:

Can dress ye up but cannot take ye any where... all this work embroidering yer green coat and all yer gonna do is get snot on it...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Let's all wait to what the Fort says ...so far this is all speculation with little facts to base assumptions on ...

Without the encampment in the park it limits how much the attendance will suffer since I know I can't afford hotel rates for 5 or 6 nights in KW ...I attended before the fort was in the mix ...it was a small disjointed event with no reenactment but some street theater and no battles or educational value... daytime were spent wandering around the shops on Duval and most nights were just drunken pub crawls without direction and interaction between pyrates from across the country was very limited ... the first time I met Patrick was when we were searching for some other folks from California who we knew were staying in the same hotel but we didn't know their actual mundane names .. Patrick was sitting in his room working on his kit with the door open and we asked if he knew them. There was no central location for gathering or coordinating of schedules.

So keep the faith, crew, things will get sorted out soon!!!

Figures :lol:

Can dress ye up but cannot take ye any where... all this work embroidering yer green coat and all yer gonna do is get snot on it...

At least St Pattie's day is coming up :lol:

Aye it sounds like bad news, but let's not jump to conclusions too soon... Things have a way of working themselves out given some time... We don't know all the details yet.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Maddogge's a Scot, tis the other half of the crewe that be Irish...me, well I am rather stuck in the middle...but then we all know God gave Virginia to Virginians because He loves us best...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

no reenactment but some street theater and no battles or educational value... daytime were spent wandering around the shops on Duval and most nights were just drunken pub crawls without direction and interaction between pyrates from across the country was very limited ... There was no central location for gathering or coordinating of schedules.

So keep the faith, crew, things will get sorted out soon!!!

As a slight correction, there has always been at least some element of encampments at the festival - they were spread through the historic seaport near the sailing ships. Second, there were always battles - ableit no on the scale of the past four years. Many were ship to ship battles. The historic seaport was the gathering place and there were firm schedules. And finally, there has always been education components to the festival - there are speakers, history walks, guest authors.

Pirates in Paradise isn't for hard core re-enactors. I never was designed that way and never will be. It is a cultural, historical and arts festival with a pirate theme. As such, it welcomes pirates of all walks of life, from re-enactors and street entertainers to polyester pirates and Steam Punk pirates. For us chameleons out there who can do it all, PiP is still worth a trip because it celebrates what Key West is all about - diversity and acceptance.

I do agree attendance will dip substantially. If sitting around the camp and living la vida pirata is your thing and there's no fort, PiP won't be of interest to you sans Fort Taylor Invasion. But for those that aren't re-enactors on this pub (and I think this pub still allows members who aren't re-enactors), PiP is still a blast to go to. It was before the fort and it will continue to be after, if things don't change.

Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Hurricane, where were those camps and did people actually live in them? I don't remember them from the time I met you down there. Seems to me everybody was in hotels.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

:blink: ......pfffffftfttttt....crap i just blew my drink thru my nose..... :blink:

Figures :rolleyes:

why do ya think tis green... :rolleyes:

Ah there was some actual thought behind this purchase.... ;)

Right then back to the thread and beating a dead horse....oh wait, this particular horse isn't dead yet....hmmmm

Crewe of the Archangel

There were just a few. They were tucked in behind the Schooner Wharf. I had a couple of my crew in one of them. The vendors were spread around there too. Not to say it was anything like it has been at the fort, mind you, not even close. And most of us were in hotels.

But there have always been elements present since it's been in Key West, albeit on a much, much smaller scale. Don't get me wrong - loved the fort and the festival there. Spent three years there. But I was there for four years without it as well. And not trying to compare them, either.

I enjoyed each at a different level. And I'm sorry that some didn't get out to hear the great guest speakers, authors and artists over the years. Or experience the nights we had at the Mel Fisher Museum or the Custom's House art show, featuring pirate and nautical artwork. It has always had more to offer than just camping at the fort with friends.

Frankly, I can get space in any park in Florida (Sebastian Inlet State Park would be the best, by the way) and set up an encampment for pirates, if that's what folks want to do. Gunfire may be the only issue with that, but it is right on the beach and the river. We've talked about it in our own crewe for the last four years, doing something like that.

Or better yet, I've always wanted to do a festival at this place: http://www.buccaneerbay.8k.com/. Anyone ever been there? I know it's a Loyalist Arms project.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Everybody cut it out.

I have hosted numerous events for different fandoms over the years, and one of my greatest pet peeves is the loud detractor who faithfully announces that they aren't coming. I do regular shindigs for the Utah Browncoats for the Firefly fandom and there is one woman who pipes in to question, scrutinize, disregard and eventually announce with great enthusiasm her complete lack of enthusiasm in attending any given event.

She does this every single time. She goes on for pages about all the things she hates about a given event and why she won't be attending, rather than just keep her very public opinions to herself.

Worse than her are those who attend events, but with a very open disdain for parts of said events every single time. Please stop nitpicking those parts of PIP that you wouldn't attend whether or not there is a Fort Taylor Pirate Festival. We all know what each of us as individuals prefer by now and which parts of PIP any given one of us might attend or not. We get it. Stop picking the scabs and leave the tanbark tussles to other hobbyists.

Showing your support for the FTPF by tearing down any other part of PIP is counterproductive and no favor to all of the events as a whole.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Or better yet, I've always wanted to do a festival at this place: http://www.buccaneerbay.8k.com/. Anyone ever been there? I know it's a Loyalist Arms project.

-- Hurricane

tho i have seen this as well...and had thought seriosly about atending......

are you REALLY trying to bait and switch...KEYWEST...with....NOVA SCOTIA....!?!?!?!?

:blink:

Isn't Nova Scotia Canada's Key West d'Dogge? It looks like an island. It's kind of south (well, of most of Canada). :blink:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Agreed!!! Well put William!!

A - let's wait and see a little while what happens. Winds change by the day in Key West. If anyone recalls, the festival locations, rules, etc etc were changing by the day last year leading up to the fest. A month or so out if/where/how there would be camping was up in the air and changed at hourly intervals. Heck, when we could set up changed down to the day of the festival, if you recall. Give it a few....

B - Bashing anyone or any part of anything gets us nowhere. There are a lot of little components that make the FTPF and PIP the great combined event it is. Some of us only like parts of it, others like different parts, and then there are some who like a little of everything. It all works together, whether you use all the pieces or not. Heck there were days there I was a pirate during the day and in the evening in heels and a gown singing swing music... it's quite the interesting combination of events that happens in this festival, and I think that's one of the things that makes it so awesome!

Everyone kick back and take a breath, let the dust settle on this part of things and let's see what happens next, but give it some time... remember... we're on island time :)

Everybody cut it out.

I have hosted numerous events for different fandoms over the years, and one of my greatest pet peeves is the loud detractor who faithfully announces that they aren't coming. I do regular shindigs for the Utah Browncoats for the Firefly fandom and there is one woman who pipes in to question, scrutinize, disregard and eventually announce with great enthusiasm her complete lack of enthusiasm in attending any given event.

She does this every single time. She goes on for pages about all the things she hates about a given event and why she won't be attending, rather than just keep her very public opinions to herself.

Worse than her are those who attend events, but with a very open disdain for parts of said events every single time. Please stop nitpicking those parts of PIP that you wouldn't attend whether or not there is a Fort Taylor Pirate Festival. We all know what each of us as individuals prefer by now and which parts of PIP any given one of us might attend or not. We get it. Stop picking the scabs and leave the tanbark tussles to other hobbyists.

Showing your support for the FTPF by tearing down any other part of PIP is counterproductive and no favor to all of the events as a whole.

Edited by Diosa De Cancion

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Everybody cut it out.

kinda missed the need for the understated animosity in this reply....i see nothing wrong with stating (publicly) likes and dislikes for an event...specifically so the "powers that be" understand what works and dosent work and why some would attend and others would not....otherwise how is growth to be expected?

if i missed something please point it out.

thanks,

me

That is interesting news. I had a great time at my first trip last year. I did however notice that although ideal for the encampment participants, the Fort is not an ideal location from a marketing point of view. It's away from the masses of tourists and in my opinion would take a big effort and a lot of donated time and resources to get people from downtown Key West to the fort and back.

Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. It always sucks being rejected, but generally things work out for the better. I foresee a new location that's more tourist friendly that will aid in bringing many more non-participants to the encampment festival.

Thanks Fayma, Spike, et al for all the hard work. It's appreciated.

ihtcbanner.jpg

I agree, M.A. d'Dogge - there is nothing inherently wrong with stating likes and dislikes. And I also agree that if PiP becomes just about the events Downtown and on Duval - I am less interested, because I do not want to have to spend a mint on a hotel room. What makes PiP such a cool event to me is the encampment - seeing everyone there, learning myself and appreciating the effort and hard work people put into being authentic (And I don't really consider myself a reenactor, since I don't do anything other than sit around in costume and then drink all night. And occasionally let Matty stab me in the back or roll black powder for people. And fire big canons. Wait....AM I a reenactor!? Naaah. I still don't think so. Anyway - this parenthetical aside has already gone on farrrr too long).

That said - I also agree that to state already that you are not coming or that PiP is now going to be nothing other than Walk the Plank and pub crawls is also a bit premature. I am hopeful that something else can be put together so that there can be an encampment elsewhere - and if there is, that is where I will be once again. I hope to see you there as well!

Edited by RedJessi