IMPORTANT INFORMATION - FTPF 2010

Spike

Greetings Dearest Pyrat Friends and Family,

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post as I have grown to care so much about those in our Pyrat family and have put so much blood, sweat, Love and tears into the Fort Taylor Pirate Festival. The Friends of Fort Taylor have unanimously voted to cancel the contract between the Bone Island Buccaneers and the FOFT for the Fort Taylor Pirate Fest. We will no longer be managing and working the Festival. I do not have a reason for the cancellation as I only found out by a two sentence letter that was sent to our office.

Today I spoke with the CEO of the Friends of Fort Taylor, Dan DeDeo, and he informed that the FTPF may not be held in 2010. He stated, "it (FTPF) is up in the air whether we will have the event in 2010." He also stated there are no RFP's for a contract, nor a FOFT plan to host the event. As i get additional information I will pass it on via this thread.

I would like to thank all of those that have supported the FTPF during the last four years of our involvement. We have won a Fl State award for the event and had many many great times and smiles. The FTPF gained international exposure, national TV exposure through various different shows. And our best accomplishment, made the Pyrat wishes come true for two terminal young adults through the Make a Wish Foundation. But the best memories for the Bone Island Buccaneers and myself are those that were created with the great reenactors across the country that make up this great Pyrat family. We all thank you very much.

If there is a FTPF 2010 then you can be sure you will see the Bone Island Buccaneers there. Fair Winds and Full Holds to all of ye, and we shall tip a tankard together when next we meet!

Sincerely,

Captain Spike

Bone Island Buccaneers.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shocked does nae even begin to cover it.....

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

:blink: ?????????? :blink:

:o:( :angry:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

A tankard to you Sir,

for your troubles...that is dismal news. I've not heard anything but compliments on the FTFP. Here's hoping..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

A tankard to you Sir,

for your troubles...that is dismal news. I've not heard anything but compliments on the FTFP. Here's hoping..

Thank you so much Red Cat. A toast back at ye. And I will hope along with you too.

As a clarification to all, Pirates in Paradise is still on.

What has been cancelled or put into question is the Fort Taylor portion of the event. That is indeed sad, as it was a great part of the larger festival. But PiP itself is still on.

In fact, I am just redesigning the site as we speak for Pirates in Paradise and updating the schedule of all the activities per Festival Director Julie (who's on her way to Haiti with relief supplies on the Wolf). PiP will still have all the non-fort activities as always including Walk the Plank, the costume contest, sails, pub crawls, parade, speakers, historic tours, the trial of Anne and Mary, etc.

I didn't want anyone to start spreading misinformation that runs counter to the truth as some equate the fort festival as being Pirates in Paradise, and that is not the case. PiP is still scheduled for Nov. 26 through Dec. 5. And for you old timers, you remember when we didn't have the fort to work with at all.

Some of the events at the fort will undoubtedly shift back into town at various locales, as they used to be, if the fort ultimately decides not to have us back. It would indeed be their loss if they did.

And kudos to Spike and all his crewe and tireless volunteers for putting the fort event on. They deserve a big round of huzzahs from all of us for their hard work and efforts these four years past.

-- Hurricane

PiP Sponsor and Webmaster of piratesinparadise.com

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Damn!!! I hope this can be worked out... While I have only been involved for two years, PiP has become one of my favourite events. Thanks for the heads up mate, and here's to everything you have done in the past and hope the future can be preserved by some means!

Well Met Mickey, we appreciate all of the thanks and support we have received from our friends and family over the course of the event's history.

We are pyrates (and pyrate hunters), we adjust well. If not at the fort then some other place on Bone Island. I have faith it will happen.

And I will look forward to a BIG HUG when next we meet on Bone Island.

I am saddened to hear of this decision - and of how little information they gave you, Spike. It would seem that after all that has passed, they could at least indicate why this conclusion was reached.

Thank you Jesse. We are all saddened by this decision. And yes, there was no information given. This is the first time in the history of the event we were not invited to the FOFT meeting regarding the Fort Taylor Pirate Fest, so I am completely out of the loop on the decisions. With the changes in the park management, as well as the new board members of the Friends of Fort Taylor, things are operating very differently and we were not given the courtesy of attending the meeting. I want to thank you for the support and memories you have given to the FTPF. Perhaps they have an alternative, but I am not aware of it. I am saddened about this decision after all the years of hard work we have put in to this event.

That's really crappy that you weren't even invited to the meeting where the event was discussed. I guess the winds have changed indeed there. The least they could have done was ask you to attend so you could understand the reasons.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

In 2005 I was told that there was no way that pirates could camp and work out of the fort or the park. Numerous people said that a full scale pirate reenactment camp would never fly with park officials. One phone call later and we were all camping in the fort and have seen a steady growth over many years, so I choose to remain optimistic. While this looks bad, and might be bad, it's February. Steady on.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

As a clarification to all, Pirates in Paradise is still on.

What has been cancelled or put into question is the Fort Taylor portion of the event. That is indeed sad, as it was a great part of the larger festival. But PiP itself is still on....................

Thanks for the clarification. I believe that those who have attended previously know that FTPF is only a part of the overall PIP Festival. Too bad we didn't get a chance to see you at the 2009 PIP/FTPF event Hurricane. See you at PIP in 2010.

In 2005 I was told that there was no way that pirates could camp and work out of the fort or the park. Numerous people said that a full scale pirate reenactment camp would never fly with park officials. One phone call later and we were all camping in the fort and have seen a steady growth over many years, so I choose to remain optimistic. While this looks bad, and might be bad, it's February. Steady on.

Cheers to your optimism William and we hope that the event does take place in 2010. I wish I had some more information. It certainly is "bad" enough for the Bone Island Buccaneers but we are proud of our past involvement in the event. Thanks for your long term support and we shall share a tankard in 2010. Muah!

That's really crappy that you weren't even invited to the meeting where the event was discussed. I guess the winds have changed indeed there. The least they could have done was ask you to attend so you could understand the reasons.

-- Hurricane

Hurricane, I want to personally thank you also for the hard work and support you have given the FTPF. I hope that the event will continue. Yes, the winds have changed in Key West, that is for sure. I would have liked to be able to be involved in the decision process, as we have in years past, but that was not the case. Thanks again and we really missed you in 2009. Fair Winds and we shall meet again for gtog!

Thanks there Captain. I'm sorry I couldn't have spent more time at PiP, but as you know, real life can really get in the way sometimes. I'm sure we will run into each other before PiP around the state and I look forward to hoisting a tankard with you and toast to old times and good times to come. You're one helluva pirate and dare I say, a real gentleman too (I hope that's not an insult in these waters. :blink:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

wow... I think a lot of us have always considered the Fort Taylor part of the festival, to be the main part of the PiP festival.

If there is no Fort part, then there is no period encampment or a place for our Family to gather the way we know and love.

No offense to anyone, but I don't go to the festival for the Plank Walking (as much fun as it is), or for the Wench contest...

I go to camp and spend time with my family and shoot kick ass Pirate Battles! Love the canons and gun powder.

I can dress like a pirate and go run a muck anywhere.. This is disappointing.

Let's not put the cart before the horse here. I agree with William, let's hope for the best and let the powers that be do what needs to be done first...once they say tis over then we can bury the beast, but not yet...keep yer chins up.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/