Canadian Tall ship sinks off Brazil coast-all saved!

Gunpowder Gertie

Ahoy all- just saw this:

I hope tis in the right section!

Fortunately it looks like all were saved. Alas, one less tallship in the world!

here's the scuttlebutt:

OTTAWA — A Canadian tall ship hosting high school students has sunk off the coast of Brazil, the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed Friday morning, with media reports suggesting all 64 aboard had been rescued.

Brazilian search-and-rescue teams were searching for the passengers and crew the aboard West Island College Class Afloat ship, the SV Concordia, read a statement from Foreign Affairs.

"Canadian diplomatic personnel are currently liaising with respective Brazilian government partners to monitor and assist with the situation," said the statement.

West Island College Class Afloat is a Lunenburg, N.S., based alternative educational program that offers high school and university-aged students courses aboard a sailing ship.

The SV Concordia is a 57.5-metre sailing ship that was built in 1992.

© Copyright © Canwest News Service

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

I'm glad all were rescued and safe..That said, if their insurance is in order (which I doubt), they'll make out better in the long run. All Tallships travelling thru the Welland Canal between lakes Ontario and Erie have to do a 'fairlead inspection', which can take days to schedule, at your own expense, to see if your ground tackle and fairleads are 'in order'..Why??..Because several years ago, Concordia wiped out one of the locks doing extensive damage, and closing the lock for a period. This lock is the primary route for goods and services to the Great Lakes ports. All effected by the program's 'interesting' policies.....Now it's a headache for all of us due to the great folks at S/V Concordia...Just my 02 cents worth. I do hate to see things happen to any Tallship, but....They need to be safe for those who sail them...

It is a shame..glad they all got off safely and yes agreed on insurance, it's paramout because people will assume

1) You know what you are doing.

2) You have taken the necessary steps to cover accidents etc. (See #1...)

Consider the cruise ship fire where several groups of employees spoke different langueges making emergency communication a joke.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...