Where has all the Lace gone?

MadL

Bloody 'Ell!! I got no e-bots and thought no one was reply'n! (got that fixed now!)

Lots of good info indeed!! And aye, I have searched e-bay but t' no avail, yet. And I have been search'n wedding gown places as well...still hard t' find a piece 10"~12" long (I don't care how wide, I have a knife 'n thread ;) )Also hard t' find lace what not be all 'flowery' 'n lady like, need some patterns like in that Picasa link. I have also found some nice full lace shawls, but much too pricy t' cut up, also found some lace women's head coverings what might work except they be TOO feminine in pattern t' me taste.

I do however have a place I am heading t' Saturday what says they have lace - we will see.

Anyway, me hunt continues. Me current cravat just has a 6" long lace tagged on th' end, and it has flowers at that; I want t' find more like in th' painting....I wonder where th' movies find all their lace? (geesh, and me with a girlfriend who works right across th' street from Fox Studio's costume shop....and STILL I get no answers! :angry: )

What has our world come to? Bloody Rayon, Plastic, and other Crap!!!

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

yah it has come to bloody rayon poly viscose..........

sir, have you considered tatting or crocheting? even knitting?

tatting , i think wou dget you very CLOSE-- patterns for such things still exist....

pay attention to old ladies knitting... got o craft fairs and speak with the OLDEST maidens....they might know some patterns that would produce the desired things you are looking for....

and i will keep looking at thrift stores around here for you... i have had fabulous luck finding quite a few things that could be chopped -- they are quite floral { what a lady would use}

shall i post what i have found?

There is a lady who makes lace, mainly via bobbin, who attends some Rev War events in the midwest. I'll ask Hazel Dickfoss who this is. But her handy work is amazing!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Lady Constance; if they be too 'flowery' then I meself would prefer t' keep seeking. but a fine leaf pattern would be acceptable indeed.

I saw some good write ups on history of lace but in my haste did not take care t' note them for return (a bit too much on me plate all at once I suppose).

Aye, perhaps me next trade should be in knitting, or this tatting ye speak about...not doing so well these days with computers and smart homes, this is for sure!

tatting

19th century at best, not GAoP

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Now, now Lady C...I only take displeasure in my own errors ... was just jotting down some info for them that might be interested in the historic side of things...no displeasure directed at any one...

Now for what it is worth, there are a number of how tos online regarding needlelace and bobbin...why not cut out the middle man (tatting) and go right to the item we all crave? Due to the huge difficulty in finding a proper replica, anyone learning and producing said replica might just be in high demand.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Jump'n Jeremiah Sirens!! I took a look at some o' them thus-call'd Tutertorials ye mention - GEESH! One must need a fortune just t' get started!

Pillows

Bobbins

Miles upon miles o' thread

Patterns

Needles

and then the photos o' product under progress alone twas enough t' boggle th' wee mind o' a rum soaked pirate! I saw what look'd like a monstrous web o' thread streaming from a DOZEN or more apparatuses what made a entire ship's riggin look like mere child's play!!

...too bad too, as I recall me own younger brother once used to make bobbins for his SOCA (?) group many yarn ago, sold them under th' name o' WildWood I do recall...but he dropped outta such folly long ago, said the group got too political and spent too much time a bickering amoungst one another...don't know if he actually made lace or just th' bobbins though; I think I will write him see'n as how he now lives landlocked in Utah and I have not heard from him nigh 3 or more year at the least...

No word yet from me no-good fer nuth'n whelp brother, and I still think at this time that that bobbin make tis out o' me current day reach, but while searching some on that needle lace I ran across this link in a tutorial to a free online E-Book (full 44meg zip available near the bottom)

Encyclopedia of Needlework by Thérèse de Dillmont

www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20776

Not too sure what all I be look'n at but the tutorial mistress sez it be very good stuff....sorry bout th' "free" and all, I know how that spoils th' fun fer so many pirates :lol:

• 10 months later...

med_gallery_11212_412_72548.jpg

This is lace I resently bought on a market here in my town...

If I look at what is shown here on this thread, I think I didn't to bad on buing the two narrower strips...;)

the wide one with the squares is most like to modern...;)

Edited by Korisios
gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice lace, Korisios.

I'm pondering if Whitework would mimic to some extent the lace like that on the cravats?

What be yo'r thoughts on whitework?

~Lady B

51DO3kjKwUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fantastic book on 18thC whitework, bit pricey at the moment though. See if your library can get it for you and photocopy the Islamic fundamentalist (shi-ite) out of it.

Embroidered with White: The 18th Century Fashion for Dresden Lace and Other Whiteworked Accessories

Heather Toomer (A search for Ms Toomer should also turn up her other books on antique lace, Antique Lace: Identifying Types and Techniques and European Laces: An Introduction, you could pester your library for these too =o)

ISBN-10: 0954273028

ISBN-13: 9780954273026

Korisios, that 18th Century Embroidery Techniques book is on it's way to you as we speak..type aaaah you get the idea.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Some nice lace, Korisios.

I'm pondering if Whitework would mimic to some extent the lace like that on the cravats?

What be yo'r thoughts on whitework?

~Lady B

Hi Lady (and others)

I just red in the book "18th Century Emboidery Techniques from Gail Marsh", that indeed whitework is a period correct substitution for the much more expencive lace...

It appeared moslty to be used for (I quote the book here) handkerchiefs, aprons and cravats...

there you go..;)

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. Plus some of those styles that Sterling povided, that with the right type of fabric, whitework could possibly mimic the period lace. That's my thoughts.

Hmmm... another book to ponder about getting. You are evil Grymm. :)

~Lady B