"foul weather gear" fabric ??

silas thatcher

Frenchie habit that, wearing wooden shoes. British 'clogs' are wood sole leather upper, in fact I've got refs to later (7yrs War)British naval contractors getting a bollocking for supplying wooden soled shoes rather than the leather soles specified.

I've made a linen oiled coat. made the coat first, dunked it in boiled linseed oil until it was all well soaked through then hung it up in an airy shed to dry. it was a good summer(By UK standards anyway) and it took about a month to 'cure', kept the rain off a treat.....stank though. Finally died after 8yrs of good service being patched and repaired but like an eejit I forgot about the linseed oil cloth thing and didn't open it out after reproofing but left it folded (I think I got distracted) for a day or so and it caught fire.... Fresh linseed oil'll do that to cloth if you ball it up too much, it's an oxidizer see, heigh ho never got round to making another.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

British 'clogs' are wood sole leather upper, in fact I've got refs to later (7yrs War)British naval contractors getting a bollocking for supplying wooden soled shoes rather than the leather soles specified.

Grymm,

I'd be interested in seeing those references if you can email me at provincialnavy@yahoo.com . A pair of british style clogs has been on my project list for awhile (but not for naval stuff). Seeing the references might inspire me to bump them up my project list a bit.

-Adam C.

The legging picture looses some detail here, but it looks like the leggings are separated from the socks. I'm really interested in the hat though. I've had one here for years, just replaced it last year for the Chesapeake schooner race this past oct, but it lasted through years of crab and oyster season and more sailboat races that i can shake a stick at.

@doubledutch- which museum in Gloucester did your hat up at?

I bought a finished oilcloth watch coat from tent smiths along time ago. If memory serves they offered two types one was open fronted and the other was a pull over. As a testimonial I can tell you that I have used mine for a long time and have just put on the first patch this year. My equipment gets VERY HARD USE, the only change I had to make was the addition of a deep hood because turkey season can be wet. The sleeves are also large enough to stuff the butt end of my fusil passed the lock inside the sleeve should the weather be foul enough to warrent it.

Untill we meet again may you have fair winds and following seas.

Y.M.H.S.

C-

possibly wool, maybe tarred or oil treated canvas. There's actually a website that sells a very nice boatcloak, I may add it to the list of things I hope to purchase but I can't seem to find it.

Grayhound -

How about the Jas. Townsend link in hardtack's earlier post????????

Jas Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 2 years later...

aha! i knew this was a topic somewhere...

hey folks, i ran across some prints that were done by a french artist named Du Monceau i think around 1730-40, maybe a bit later. Take a look at the two drawings below. While not cold weather gear per se, these are novascotian fishermen who know a hell of a lot about it.

licod41b.jpg

Lets look at the fellow in the middle. Other than what looks like wooden shoes or square toed leather- is he wearing leg coverings of some sort?

licod51b.jpg

Now here is the one i'm drooling over.

First, yes they are standing in barrels. According to the accompanied text to keep them clean and allows them to keep their balance onboard. OK,OK, on to the clothing....

the guy in the middle obviously has an apron over his clothing so we lose a lot of detail. How about his hat though- the beginnings of the gloucester fisherman's hat? Does anyone have any info on the history of them. I have a hat blank just waiting for a revelation. Onto the fellow on the right... a solid front and permanent hooded capote of some sort?

I was doing some clothing research and I finally figured out where these pics came from, H.-L. Duhamel du Monceau's, Traité général des pesches, 1772.

http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/lifelines/liroh07e.shtml

www.civilization.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/lifelines/licog18e.shtml

Unfortunately not GAOP, but still cool stuff.

It appears that the barrels, or half-barrels are securely tied down also. A good idea when both hands are occupied on a rocking ship !!!

Occupied with sharp knives no less!

There is an earlier woodcut of some Newfoundland fishing types, which has been posted on here somewhere, in which one of them at least is definitely wearing a garment similar to, if not actually, a capote.

Knowing the picture I know it is quite similar to this (the third man there has a cloak like that.)

AN00353778_001_l.jpg

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif