April 9th, 10th, & 11th 2010 | 6th Annual Fells Point Privateer Da

1stMate Matt

Ah a new toy! Cannot wait to see it, Matt does wonderful work...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly what it all boils down to is that we, whether in the living history camp, are a stage entertainer, or a member of the Devil's Dozen, are invited guests of the City of Baltimore and therefore we really do need to behave according to their rules whether we care for them or not. If we can't do that we not only run the risk of bad press aimed directly at us and rightfully so because we caused it, but we also run the risk of losing an event. By abiding by the rules, we come off as the more mature force and perhaps in the future, be granted more privileges because we have shown ourselves to be trust worthy and responsible.

Huzzah to Capt. Sterling!

Mates Mates!

,us pirates arrrr guests of Privateers and ye know how nervious that lots gets with us pirates. A privateer is nothing more than a closet pirate and we make them nervious we does.

Oh Really?? Pray, do tell...

Now Captain ye be the exception sir! The one Privateer( Pirate hunter !)I think it wise to always know yeer location when yer in familiar waters uhhh hum.

Edited by Talderoy

Smart ars...ahem... man! ;)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

To the Pirate Community ~

As the Devil’s Dozen Induction Ceremony and Privateer Day draw ever closer, we are preparing to honor our Devil’s Dozen and show our appreciation to all who are attending.

It is our goal to provide the best hospitality possible. In that vein, we want to inform you of some recent developments which, despite our best efforts, are the case for this event.

After hours of research, permissions and likelihoods, the Captain of the HMS Bounty has determined that there can be no passage to Annapolis on Sunday. Many thanks go out to Kathy Gilbert from Pirates of the Treasure Coast. Kathy works directly with the ship and although a sail to Annapolis on Sunday seemed workable, she can not override the Captains word, nor should she. We’re grateful that the Bounty will be joining us for the event and has invited our Pirates to come aboard for the sea battle and photo shoots. It is possible that the Bounty will remain at the pier during the sea battle and be a defender of the land. We’re waiting to hear whether or not she will be on the water. In either case, our Pirates are invited aboard for the sea battle.

We have an alternative and exciting Sunday plan. We are providing our Pirates with admission to an event taking place within a short light rail ride away. Pirates invade RenCon! Please check out their website and plan to join in the invasion. www.Renconvention.com

IMPORTANT

We all want to wear our dearly beloved props, weapons and such that are so important to Pirate attire. Fells Point Privateer Day, however, is a no weapon event. This raises our dander, much like many others for which wearing weaponry is a very important factor in our attire. After our dander settled and we came to terms with these conditions, we realized that we are coming together to recognize 13 of the most outstanding individuals in the Pirate Community. Set in the most charming seaport town of Fells Point, too much time, effort and funds have been graciously donated to let the weapons issue spoil the fun and memories that we’re about to share. There will be weapons allowed in specified areas for photos.

We want to be forthcoming and if the no weapons policy has created a problem for anyone, please know that we understand and apologize for any inconvenience. As much as we respect our Pirates, we also respect the Captain of the HMS Bounty’s decisions and the concerns of the Baltimore City Police Department.

It is our intention to make sure that all involved have a good time while with us at Fells Point. We look forward to your visit, see you next week!

Sincerely,

Pirates Magazine Crew

This is only a partial quote but I think this statement can stand alone.

By abiding by the rules, we come off as the more mature force and perhaps in the future, be granted more privileges because we have shown ourselves to be trust worthy and responsible.

The Archangel crew saw it happen this year at PiP. There was a new park manager and he seemed very unwilling to cooperate. After he saw how responsible the reenactors (in general) were he became more understanding and seems to be enthusiastic about next years event. It takes time. Additionally, other than the Holiday parade and the occasional skit we are encouraged not to carry swords and firearms in the city of Key West.

I love my crew(Press gang) and the leaders at the helm. My home port of the Pyracy Pub just the same.

Well said!

This is going to be a great time. There are some bumps that we would all love to get rid of, but in the end its worth working around said bumps and having a blast. There hasnt been a gathering like this. So many from all over are coming. Some I have yet to meet and some I havnt seen in years. This to me is what pyrate con was always suposed to be about. I just feel lucky that it is in my home port.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I love my crew(Press gang) and the leaders at the helm. My home port of the Pyracy Pub just the same.

Well said!

This is going to be a great time. There are some bumps that we would all love to get rid of, but in the end its worth working around said bumps and having a blast. There hasnt been a gathering like this. So many from all over are coming. Some I have yet to meet and some I havnt seen in years. This to me is what pyrate con was always suposed to be about. I just feel lucky that it is in my home port.

NO pyrate CON here mate!!! Only top pirates gathering to salute and celebrate thar own. I'm looking forward to hangin with such wonderful pirates from all over the know pirate world!

( PLUS STYNKY OWES ME MONEY AN I HEAR HE WILL BE THAR!!!!!!)

Aye, as naked as I will feel without my weapons, I will lay them down for the sake of this fine event. If we may have them in certain areas for photos and such, I can live with that. Just the honor of being in the company of all of you fine friends will make it all worthwhile to me. :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

First a bit of history on the event. This started 8 years ago, by two pirates. The Crimson Corsair and the Blender Wench, both MDRF patrons, as a pre-Rennfaire season get together. It was a pub crawl of about 35 pirates. The following year, it had grown to about 100. THe first year we ( meself and Bloody Bill Marley, too young to drink legally, but that's another story) attended , it had grown to over 350 pirates trapsing around Fells Point Sat night.

It got the attention of the local Community Developement Organization ( remember that) and they inturn were willing to sponsor a Sat event, Privateer Day, in conjuction with the afore mentioned Pub Crawl. THe Fells Point Privteer Day was born, and has grown , like Topsy, each year. It is primarily an event sponsored by the local businesses to promote awareness of the fine establishments located in historic Fells Point. YEs, privateering is the theme, but make no mistake, if the local business do not see an advantage in sponsoring this event, it could wither on the vine, as many other CDO type events have of late. We ( THe Brigands) make it a point to adopt one or two sponsors and work them into our interactions with patrons during the day. And by sponsors, I don;t mean Capt Saltys ice cream cones, set up for the day on the Braodway Square. I mean the real sponsors , who front the $$$ so we can all play in thier playground. Just a thought.

Weapons. Seems a sore point with some. Baltimore has had its share of problems that large citys do. Maybe more. THe Fells Point siye is open streets, no barricade,no fences and no entry fees. We have to respect the wishes ( and laws) of the City of Baltimore, and no edged weapons or firearms is the word, then thats it. THink of it as a shi to ship action, where the Quartermaster has decreed no noise, and don't show a glim of steel. Belaying pins, trunchions and the like would be the order of the day, unless your involved with the LH camp or stage acts. Besides, the REAL fun is on Sat night, during the pub crawl, and the bars are so crowded, that swords and 'locks are just a hinderance. Better to bring your quarter deck voices, the better to sing out salty ballads with. Nothin better then takin over a pub filled with nonsusspecting 'danes and college students, and roaring out the olde songs, having a wee tip, and moving on.

Heres to a successful event , with a good time had by all!

Note: all the above is IMHO only and does not reflect the opinion of FPMS, The Brigands or any other group.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Ahoy! There is a possibility that the wife and I may make a last minute decision and fly up for this. My question - is there any spare room in the encampment for us? By that, I mean:

1. Is there room for two more PCers in the Encampment

2. If so, does anyone attending own a spare tent we could use, as we would be flying in.

3. If not, does anyone have spare space for a privateer and his port wench?

Thanks!

ihtcbanner.jpg

It would seem that the Lord proprietors of Maryland have set a trap for those whom they have invited to attend with out their arms. (or that could bees just bees scuttlebutt or not we will wait and sees)

I for one will let the Order of the Leviathan and the Devil’s Dozen pave the way to see if they will ever bees ready for blood and thunder till then I’s will steer well clear of fells point and Baltimore’s inner harbor as I does not care for hemp neck ties or iron gibbet swings, thank yea for letting us knows that we are not welcome to come as ourselves as it were till then I will set me sail for more hospitable waters and ports of call like Charleston as is no metropolitan port of call say yea high faulting privateers with their letter of mark from the lords proprietors poppycock and peacock feathers they thumb their noses at southern hospitality and say they know how to have a good time, ha I think not It’s sets a poor president that they call for those that purports to the leaders and they bees willing to take the silver and blades but them would support such are not trusted to carry theirs as a the free men they arrrs

It would seem that the Lord proprietors of Maryland have set a trap for those whom they have invited to attend with out their arms. (or that could bees just bees scuttlebutt or not we will wait and sees)

I for one will let the Order of the Leviathan and the Devil's Dozen pave the way to see if they will ever bees ready for blood and thunder till then I's will steer well clear of fells point and Baltimore's inner harbor as I does not care for hemp neck ties or iron gibbet swings, thank yea for letting us knows that we are not welcome to come as ourselves as it were till then I will set me sail for more hospitable waters and ports of call like Charleston as is no metropolitan port of call say yea high faulting privateers with their letter of mark from the lords proprietors poppycock and peacock feathers they thumb their noses at southern hospitality and say they know how to have a good time, ha I think not It's sets a poor president that they call for those that purports to the leaders and they bees willing to take the silver and blades but them would support such are not trusted to carry theirs as a the free men they arrrs

Ye make good points here mate ye surly do, we will make the best of it! In this case we trade weapons for ships. We have both the Pride of Baltimore and the Bounty on dock and sea. This be an event of honor and celebration of top pirates in our community and for that I'll put down my weapons. I will however consider your recommendation of Charleston for next Years honoring the Devil's Dozen into the Order of Leviathan.

I for one will let the Order of the Leviathan and the Devil's Dozen pave the way to see if they will ever bees ready for blood and thunder till then I's will steer well clear of fells point and Baltimore's inner harbor as I does not care for hemp neck ties or iron gibbet swings, thank yea for letting us knows that we are not welcome to come as ourselves as it were till then I will set me sail for more hospitable waters and ports of call like Charleston as is no metropolitan port of call say yea high faulting privateers with their letter of mark from the lords proprietors poppycock and peacock feathers they thumb their noses at southern hospitality and say they know how to have a good time, ha I think not It's sets a poor president that they call for those that purports to the leaders and they bees willing to take the silver and blades but them would support such are not trusted to carry theirs as a the free men they arrrs

Ye make good points here mate ye surly do, we will make the best of it! In this case we trade weapons for ships. We have both the Pride of Baltimore and the Bounty on dock and sea. This be an event of honor and celebration of top pirates in our community and for that I'll put down my weapons. I will however consider your recommendation of Charleston for next Years honoring the Devil's Dozen into the Order of Leviathan.

I think that Charleston, SC would be an excellent choice for next year's Devil's Dozen event. It is certainly a city rich in pirate and maritime history!

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I think that Charleston, SC would be an excellent choice for next year's Devil's Dozen event. It is certainly a city rich in pirate and maritime history!

......As fer meself, I vote fer Beaufort, NC. A very pirate friendly town, and a Blackbeard connection also !!!

>>>>> Cascabel

Yea want a Blackbeard connection least yea forgets Blackbeard pressured Charleston by advancing his fleet of heavily-armed ships into the harbor. The Queen Anne's Revenge, his flagship, carried 40 guns of her own. If he chose he could have sack the city, his crew now numbered well over 300 men. But he held the port hostage, in a blockade till his demands were met.

There were 18 tall ships from around the world in the harbor for 2009 including the Pride of Baltimore, you want pyrate friendly we carried or weapons in town and pubs as well as freeing the mates taken by the red coats at the powder magazine in a street battle, it's not an uncommon site to see people in garb at any time in Charleston.

The fleet was in and we meet true sailors from France, Netherlands, Germany, U.K., Spain, Las Canaries, Bermuda, Nova Scotia, Uruguay, Russia & Romania and drank sang and swap stories all weekend.

The new Captain of the Charles Town Few bees the Eric Lavender of Island Paradise Balloon Art Charleston Pirate Tours 843-343-8297 Eric@IslandParadiseBalloonArt.com should yea need a mate with knowledge of the local waters and city officals ;-}

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/573321564ZWdaLG

Edited by Bright

As the organizers of this weekend's events, I feel it is appropriate and timely for us to not only clarify some issues, but enlighten you all a bit about what to expect this weekend.

First, we'd like to thank all our performers, crews, volunteers and supporters who have been working with us over the past 6 years to help grow this festival from its infancy into what we believe is a great regional if not east coast event honoring all things privateer, pirate, and the like. We could not have done this without your enduring support.

Based on the information in some of the postings, it is evident that some folks on this forum obviously do not realize what a task it is to put on a festival of this size and nature; grow it all while at the same time ensuring both fun for the public as well as the safety of those participating. Their is a great liability on the part of our organization put on the line- both financially as well as our reputation- in carrying out this event. While thousands of you will come out Friday night through Sunday morning and partake in all things pirate; you will eventually leave, go back to your homes, your jobs, your lives, and we need to deal with the post-event issues, both good and bad.

We are trying to organize an event that appeals to the public at large- that includes not only pirates who may be in their 20s or 30s, but folks with children, and even older people who have an interest in maritime history and privateers. That, plus the fact that Saturday's event occurs in public (city owned) properties of the city of Baltimore, lead us to take many precautions for the safety of everyone involved.

Those of you close to the event, know and understand what a coup it was to secure the HMS Bounty for this year's event. 6 months ago we could only have dreamed about it; as I write this they are sailing their way up the Chesapeake, about to land in Fell's Point in a few short hours. This, plus bringing in Vince Lozano, Treva Etienne, an expanded Living History camp with even more reenactors, Chesapeake Roller Derby, more music, more vendors, more everything; is nothing short of amazing in an economy where events are being discontinued, and here in Baltimore, events are moving up to Timonium due to greatly increased city event fees.

Thus, we ask you to be understanding and empathetic, and to try to put yourselves in the shoes of us- the organizers of this event- and realize how lucky we are that an event such as Privateer Day even occurs right here in Baltimore, and that we can have activities such as cannon and weapons demonstrations but that there are many, many safety and security guidelines we need to follow, permits must be issued, and that it only takes one incident, one person, one thoughtless act, to bring this event to a swift and early demise. I know I don't want that, and I hope you do not either.

So I ask you, stop complaining about not being able to carry your weapons in public (if you really think about it, is that such a good idea in the first place), leave them at home, come on out and have an awesome time, as we all know it will be.

Thanks for letting me put in my $.02

Mad Jack Cash

Fell's Point Main Street

In a general response to several posts:

There is no public camping in Fell's Point.

book a room at one of our local hotels:

Admiral Fell Inn

Celie's Waterfront Inn

Henderson's Wharf

Weapons. Seems a sore point with some. Baltimore has had its share of problems that large citys do. Maybe more. THe Fells Point siye is open streets, no barricade,no fences and no entry fees. We have to respect the wishes ( and laws) of the City of Baltimore, and no edged weapons or firearms is the word, then thats it. THink of it as a shi to ship action, where the Quartermaster has decreed no noise, and don't show a glim of steel. Belaying pins, trunchions and the like would be the order of the day, unless your involved with the LH camp or stage acts. Besides, the REAL fun is on Sat night, during the pub crawl, and the bars are so crowded, that swords and 'locks are just a hinderance. Better to bring your quarter deck voices, the better to sing out salty ballads with. Nothin better then takin over a pub filled with nonsusspecting 'danes and college students, and roaring out the olde songs, having a wee tip, and moving on.

Heres to a successful event , with a good time had by all!

Note: all the above is IMHO only and does not reflect the opinion of FPMS, The Brigands or any other group.

Get active and get informed. The cost of your silence is too high. You misunderstand my grumblings you have done well and worked hard to get recognized and noticed. That bee me real fear that others will say that only those that have permits from the city may carry. Look what they did at this gathering. I understand fully how madding try to put such together can bees. But individuals must be held to account for their action. The broad brush of political correctness if a foul thing. Ayes the organizers need to consider safety at their events from vendors selling food and items to the public. Oh my a period camp with no gates or fees what happens when they trip over a tent stake and bust their head on another; oh no more period camps all ropes and lines must bee taped off and all stakes have rubber covers. I have been in many a city that has laws on the books that do not allow the carrying of many weapons or discharging them in their city limits. But they understand when there be participants from around the world and across the nation that will bee there, a period of grace as it were, just as the citizens of old accepted the pyrates and the gold in their communities in the past. However this did not prevent the authorities from acting on those whom present a true danger to be dealt with the full weight the laws of the land. Better some times to beg forgiveness than to get permission but if organizers have put out a public notice that they not bees allowed then I see no need to go or support such events as they diminish much my education and inter action with the public as it is very hard to show a flash in the pan with a belaying pin as that bees part of the ship were it should bee. As ayes have been denied lock stock and barrel savvy. Beside that mate ayes has a Presidential pardon even with me working pistol on the desk talk about red tape ;-}

http://www.insurevents.com/groupvendor.htm

2evguuh.jpg

Edited by Bright