Great Lakes Tallship Challenge 2010

the Royaliste

Avast, ya scurvey dogs! Thru heavy weather and rough financial seas, it be that time once again.. Privateer Royaliste will be sailing the great Lakes summer 2010..Ther's 27 Tallships on my email header, so there could be a lot of participation this time around....Ports and scheduling are still being ironed out, but we'll be leaving New York and arriving Chicago in late August... Pride of Baltimore II, Niagra, Lynx, Royaliste, LaRevanante; that be a fine lot 'o gunships in the mix!...more later, mates...

OOooooo.... Keep us posted, Oh fabulous Captain. :D I'm sure those of us able to will flock to Chicago and other ports. Especially donning our piratical finest! :D

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I believe we'll be coming to Green Bay, altho' all we have is verbal at this point; no 'contract'..As for Duluth, it'll be select few ships, mostly the usual;Picton Castle, Niagra, and such....We've been invited to South Haven, MI for the week between Green Bay and Chicago...We'll see, matey...

Remember folks, Royaliste Does show favoritism; costumed pirates move to the front of any line...just catch me or a crewman's ear!......

Edited by the Royaliste

Remember folks, Royaliste Does show favoritism; costumed pirates move to the front of any line...just catch me or a crewman's ear!......

Hmmm... favoritism when all decked out in our attire, eh? ::ponders with a smile:: Oh, none t' worry, good Captain... I'll be makin' m' presense known. ;) I doubt ye'll miss me. ;) I just pray that I can FINALLY make an attempt t' stand upon th' deck of th' fine Royaliste. :)

~Lady B

Yar-Beeee-Gar!....Actually, it's takin' the powers that be forever to decide actual port schedules, and who's sailin' where....That said, I'll be a-lookin' for some small hamlet to berth the ship for three or four weeks between larger ports mid July thru mid August...If anyone has sway with their local officials, it be a way to have a pirate ship around for less than the festivals have to cough up!.....Anyhoo, August really looks bangarang!....

As for 'passin' thru detroit', we like that sail when it ain't stormin'..we just can't find a decent spotto overnight, or we would...usually, we push thru to Algonac, and spend a little time....

Edited by the Royaliste

• 2 weeks later...

Well,mateys...There's been a change in the winds, and it's not a favorable one..... An ugly rumour from an extremely reliable source (LaRev, the only other 'true' pirates on the Great Lakes) has reached me eardrums....The power's that be (ASTA) have lost all focus of what 'the people' want, and in their current focus on 'capitalizing on large decks', have cancelled all the privately owned, small (read 'Classy') vessels in favor of large, mostly steel, foreign vessels; already with govt sponsorship, for the most part..We are 'officially' waiting for the last port meeting later this month, but as sure as I'm a pirate (I swear by me tattoo, as Kirk Douglas said in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), we're not doing it. So, you won't be steppin' foot on my decks unless you live somewhere on the Hudson, or anywhere else on our way outta the area....We,ve been staged on the East Coast specifically awaiting this former event, so it basically suck's more than the Maelstrom....Do what ya wish, but I for one am recommending a boycott for any true mariner's, or pirate reenactor types.....Adios, and fair winds..............

Awww... No! This can't be true! T'was hopin' t' finally set foot on th' Royaliste! Grrr.... Aye, I'll boycott alright! I just won't attend!

~Lady B

Awww... No! This can't be true! T'was hopin' t' finally set foot on th' Royaliste! Grrr.... Aye, I'll boycott alright! I just won't attend!~Lady B

Aye!..I'm all for passin' along the Black Spot to ASTA..That said, nothing to do with them, but the skipper of LaRevenante and me onesies are tryin' like bloody bloomin' heck to pull some non ASTA ports that will also not see us otherwise (yes, every time we do this there are smaller ports along the way that we do on the cheep since the big boys were already paying ) into finding sponsors so we can still pull this rabbit outta the hat!...So to heck with the big boys, and the pirates may still be on 'e waters, mateys....( and Chicago has made a lowball offer after recinding the first round).....So, if'n we can make expenses etc. work....There's still a chance for a couple 'o black flags on the horizon....

post-237-12680966299987_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another 'Change in the Wind', says I!....I just confirmed the privateering vessel, Royaliste, along with LaRevenante, will be sailing and doing battle on the Great Lakes 2010 for the ports of Chicago, South Haven, MI and Green Bay, WI...More port stops to come, but these are firm. Port meetings are still in progress at the time of this posting, but we'll be battling it out at most venues, including several with our old cohorts aboard the Privateer Lynx....This will be a season for some mighty fine Battle sails, so..pick your ports, space is limited, but the gunpowder isn't, my friends!.....More news to follow, but this in itself is 'finest kind', back on the water, underway, fair weather or foul.......

• 1 month later...

Here's a fresh update to the posted schedule above.... Royaliste will be attending the Michigan Schooner Festival in Traverse City, MI, September 12-15. The organizers are pre-booking sailaways for the ships attending,and...Of course we'll be doing Battle Sails! They have an armed sloop participating, but it looks like some easy pickens from the breech of our four pounders, says I!.....From There, we'll be headed to Mobile by way of the rivers..(Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Tennessee- Tombigway) Yaaargh! Pirates in the middle of the USA!

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be pacing ourselves on the river trip southbound..timing travel with weather is always challenging. It looks like we can re-step the rig on Kentucky Lake, so that'll take a day or two..From Chicago to Mobile is a little over a thousand miles, and by fall, getting 50 miles a day starts getting tough...