Chesapeake bay crossing

Dutchman

Folks who attended the Hampton Blackbeard Fest last year will remember the red coats that graced us with their presence. They spread out a bit and are now called, I believe, The Naval MAritime Historical Society. Anyhow, I talked to xxxx last week and this is their latest venture. Go guys go!!!! edit* names have been removed till further notice.

NORFOLK 4 FEB 2010 - A group of active duty and retired US Navy sailors is planning to cross Chesapeake Bay from Cape Henry to Cape Charles, a distance of 14 miles over open water, in an open boat powered by oar and sail alone. The event is scheduled for May 15 2010 and will be used to raise awareness for environmental issues in the Chesapeake Bay.

The group will depart Lynnhaven Inlet at 7 am on Saturday May 15, accompanied by members of the Virginia Pilots Association. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is planning a send off, where they hope to raise contributions for their efforts promoting environmental awareness. Vice Admiral xxxx, Deputy Commander of xxxx xxxxxx has tentatively agreed to attend the send off. "It's great to see sailors doing things like this in their spare time using their seamanship skills to improve our community and have some fun in the process."

The boat being used for this groundbreaking trip is a 26-foot long Monomoy Pulling Boat, which is propelled by oars and a single sail and has no engine. The boat was built in 1954 and carried aboard several US Navy and US Coast Guard ships where it was used in at least one at-sea rescue in 1956. It was retired for training duties in 1981, and its condition slowly began to decline. That is until it was discovered in a trash pile on Naval Base Norfolk and restored by a group of concerned sailors the same sailors who will take part in the bay crossing. "There's no question that this sends a fantastic message" said a spokesman for the Military Sealift Command, which is now the official custodian of the boat "and we are extraordinarily proud of our sailors for taking this initiative."

The crew will make their way to Kiptopeke State Park on the Eastern Shore after crossing the bay, where they will camp overnight. They will return to Lynnhaven Inlet the next day, repeating the trip in case anyone missed it.

Thanks for posting this. What a great tribute to the Monomoy Pulling Boat itself. I believe Mystic Seaport Museum has plans for this boat and has one in the collection. A great way to raise awareness and to bring active Navy Personnel, Separated Personnel and the public together.

it seems the pulling boat is still active navy and is officially a life boat and is used for coxwain and lifeboat training. I've seen video of that boat go- the Explorer is best suited where she is for this venture. If the schedule permits, I'm going to try to get to the send off.

Sorry for the edited names - the Navy is sensitive about press releases and apparently I sent Dutch a draft (oops). Final copies when its officially put out.

The event looks to be great fun. If anyone out there would like to join us - including other boats - please let me know. This is still in the preparation stages and growing like a weed.

• 3 months later...