First Completed Bicorne

Yellowbeard

Here is my attempt at a late revolutionary period bicorne, not GAoP by any means but I want to show it off to someone! The blank is from the Empire Costumes in france. I cut down the brim extensively, it measures about 8 inches tall on the fan and 6 1/2 in the front. After a lot of trial and error I also realized that the brims on hats from this period were not cut in a circle but more of an elongated oval, it might seem obvious but it was a revelation to me! I way overdid it with the starch on the brim and it got really wrinkly, but I like it as it has sort of an aged look. And I need to practice my hand stitching big time. The binding, cockade, loop and button were all purchased at JoAnns for about 15 bucks so the total cost for the hat (including shipping) was around 75 dollars. I plan on getting some more blanks and trying different styles as this was a hoot to do.

img0560x.th.jpg

img0559h.th.jpg

Wow! Mighty impressive, Yellowbeard! I'm at a loss for words because it's so grand! :::applauds:::

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Thanks! It really was a snap to do- the whole process took a total of 3 hours, and most of that was stitching the binding on. I was going to add lacings on the starboard side and the fan but from my research it didn't look period correct.

Here is a picture of it on my massive gourd. The picture is a little fisheyed, but gives the general idea;

img0565bz.th.jpg

Edited by Yellowbeard

you crack me up!!

cant say i ever heard nautical terms of port or starboard, fore or aft in applying it to a hat!!!

i can think of one occasion hearing my husband shout " port ! port !port side!!!" so the kid he was sailing with would not let the boat go down/ under/flip.................

thanks for the smile!! and chuckle!

you crack me up!!

cant say i ever heard nautical terms of port or starboard, fore or aft in applying it to a hat!!!

i can think of one occasion hearing my husband shout " port ! port !port side!!!" so the kid he was sailing with would not let the boat go down/ under/flip.................

thanks for the smile!! and chuckle!

Actually, quite common to refer to wearing a bicorne the way Yellowbeard is as 'amidships', and wearing it the other way as 'fore and aft.'