New Pistol Case

Matty Bottles

So my friend Brian, aka 12-Pound Richard, whom many of you met at PiP last year (or not), made me a pistol box based on the design of the lovely and talented Mary Diamond’s pistol box.

med_gallery_949_222_1041319.jpg

Here is Brian (in the ticken and military hat) in his natural environment.

Wow! What a nice-looking box!

med_gallery_949_222_493042.jpg

It isn’t discolored. I just had something on the lens.

Why, it opens, too!

med_gallery_949_222_249895.jpg

But what’s under the linen?

Gosh! Them’s pistols!

med_gallery_949_222_454235.jpg

But how do they stay in there so comfortable?

med_gallery_949_222_465968.jpg

Ingenious! That’s the talented Mary Diamond’s design! She is also lovely.

Dovetails? Who needs dovetails?

med_gallery_949_222_429309.jpg

This sucker is rabbited and nailed, like smaller boxes of the period. Even the nails are right.

Okay, but what about the hinges?

med_gallery_949_222_546952.jpg

Oh, sniped hinges! And in brass, too! *ooh* *aah*

And when I travel in the People’s Republic of Illinois, I can lock this sucker so that the Man doesn’t harass me!

med_gallery_949_222_63854.jpg

That darn Man!

So this is a pretty cool project. It’s winter time, which means that Brian stays inside and makes things out of wood. He’s working on a nice table he might bring to RF6 to show off. Thanks Brian!

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

No problem. since he doesn't check his email, he has designated me his contact point. I believe you have my email, so send me a message.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Michael, it's the natural culmination of winter time boredom, a steady supply of lumber, and too many power tools.

Also, carpentry skills.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Tis a very lovely box, Bottles. Right nice. :) Oh, and JUST Illinois? Hehehe...

:::looks at the picture::: wait... are ye gents GAMBLING? :blink:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Tis a very lovely box, Bottles. Right nice. :) Oh, and JUST Illinois? Hehehe...

~Lady B

Honestly, I've never locked my pistol case anywhere else, which so only includes Wisconsin and Iowa.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Ye swing over here t' Iowa? MATTY BOTTLES! Shame on ye! Comin' over here and ye don't stop in t' say hello! :)

I'm with ye right there, Cross. I'll be standing in line right after ye... as soon as I come into enough money for such a box. Hmmm... maybe see about making other boxes and chest. Ehh, we shall see. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

So my friend Brian, aka 12-Pound Richard, whom many of you met at PiP last year (or not), made me a pistol box based on the design of the lovely and talented Mary Diamond’s pistol box.

You are too kind ~ and imitation is the highest form of flattery. I am glad to see my idea has inspired ~ I must say the same of Brian's work! As I learn more about woodworking, I appreciate the detail and skill he shows in design and construction. Very nicely done!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

So my friend Brian, aka 12-Pound Richard, whom many of you met at PiP last year (or not), made me a pistol box based on the design of the lovely and talented Mary Diamond's pistol box.

You are too kind ~ and imitation is the highest form of flattery. I am glad to see my idea has inspired ~ I must say the same of Brian's work! As I learn more about woodworking, I appreciate the detail and skill he shows in design and construction. Very nicely done!

MD, a good idea is a good idea... and credit should be given when credit is due... i for one have copied lots of people's ideas and methods, and have thanked them for sharing their inginuety ( sp ?)