Stockings... does better than average exist?????

Jas. Hook

My attempt at purchasing stockings has been less than successful and fit is marginal. huh.gif

Who makes a better than average stockings that come above the knee?

Ones that will be satisfactory with breeches as well as with longer slops, wool, silk or whatever.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most sulters and vendors have the usual, similiar stock of stockings. But, I have noticed that not one stocking is the same.

The stockings I purchased at Colonial Williamsburg has lasted the longest. I had them for over 8 yrs now and they are still going strong.

I bought a blue pair from Jas. Townsend and Sons and that works rather well. I have yet to purchase and try their silk stockings though.

Some others... I don't recall where they were from... one jsut happened to appear in my possessions and no one's claimed them yet. Another wore out after wearing it twice. And a new pair of white stockings... I think I obtained those at RF2 from a vendor. I wouldn't be surprized if they were from Wm Booth Draper. Hazel is great about obtaining quality items.

Where did you obtain yo'r stockings from, Hook, if I may ask?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I recently bought some finer cotton ones that seem to be holding up better than those stupid linsey-woolsey ones. I don't think I'll ever buy another pair of those - the elastic gives way too quickly.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Depends on what you want. For historical clothing, I personally prefer the linsey-woolsey stockings I get from Hamilton Dry Goods.

I do not believe a period stocking has any elastic in it, but am open to correction.

Mission: you're supposed to use garters. I cannot highly enough recommend elk hide for garters. It has a natural suppleness and elasticity that makes it superlative for the job.

For the non-historical, Sockdreams has a great variety that work. Also, you could try kilt hose.

Just my tuppence.

I found linen wool blend stockings for hubby on ebay for $15. It was awesome.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I found linen wool blend stockings for hubby on ebay for $15. It was awesome.

Those are most probably the same stocking to which I referred, from Hamilton Dry goods, as they have an eBay presence.

Taylor-Rose also has some nice stockings.

I actually really like the linsey woolsey socks. I find they look a ton better than the cotton socks, and they aren't as much of a "too hot to wear" annoyance as most of the wool socks out there. I agree they do stretch out a bit and don't stay up that great on their own, but that is what leather garters are... It's amazing how many re-enactors don't actually own or use those. :unsure:

Michael_banner.jpg

I have yet to purchase and try their silk stockings though.

Where did you obtain yo'r stockings from, Hook, if I may ask? ~Lady B

Lady B. -

(With a sweep and bow) M'lady, I find that you, swathed in anything less than silk to be an affront to nature.

Your servant

Jas. Hook

Both pairs were purchased from faireware designer in Nevada who has quality designs but the otk socks are lacking.

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

I've had a pair of ivory silk stockings from Smoke and Fire for going on three seasons now. I bought a few more new pair two weeks ago from them, and I also bought a pair of silk from Weeping Heart Trading Co down at PiP. I've heard that their woolie socks are lovely too, though I have never tried them.

I do have a pair of clocked cotton stockings (no idea where they actually came from) that are nice, but require garters as they will not stay up any other way.

Banner.jpg

I have several pairs of all wool stockings they came 96th District Storehouse their site in a natural colour ...I dyed one pair green and one medium blue and left two pairs natural ...That was 5 years ago and all are still going strong but I think somebody "borrowed" a pair of the naturals (bloody pirates) :unsure: and yes you'd need garters!

Hmmm... shall have to look into the linsey-woolsey stockings. I've had the wool stockings, of course, these were super old wool stockings and they were very thick, very hot, and not all that comfortable.

The cottons I've worn most.

I don't have a pair of stockings that do not need garters. Frankly, if stockings don't need garters... I won't wear them... unless I have nothing else to wear.

So, I take it ye really like yo'r silk stockings, Kate?

Hook... Ye charm greatly; flattery gets ye everywhere. :unsure:

~Lady B

"Frankly, if stockings don't need garters... I won't wear them... unless I have nothing else to wear."

A lady in ner' but stockings ....:unsure: could start a fashion trend :unsure: :unsure: ;)

Is it just me or does that form a lovely mental image that is hard to shake (depending on the lass so attired!!!! :unsure::o:o)

Edited by callenish gunner

Depends on what you want. For historical clothing, I personally prefer the linsey-woolsey stockings I get from Hamilton Dry Goods.

I do not believe a period stocking has any elastic in it, but am open to correction.

Mission: you're supposed to use garters. I cannot highly enough recommend elk hide for garters. It has a natural suppleness and elasticity that makes it superlative for the job.

For the non-historical, Sockdreams has a great variety that work. Also, you could try kilt hose.

Just my tuppence.

Ok, I am the first to admit I try for historical, but I am no slave to (historical) fashion. If you can't see the elastic, I don't have a problem with it. I wear an insulin pump, which you can't see either. I also have to be really cautious about my feet (being diabetic) so I also wear gel soles in my shoes to protect them. Since I would be foolish to give up such things for the sake of accuracy, I'll never be truly PC which I feel gives me license. :unsure: Personally, I'm ok with that. I figure it's fine so long as I don't try to join a crew that insists on strict interpretation. (Which I would never do out of respect for my personal beliefs and their rules.)

I do own garters.

Mission_Garters_Mission.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't wear them above the knee where they'd need to be to hold up the stupid linsey woolsey socks up when I'm wearing my breeches (I actually did get two pair of my L-W socks from Hamilton DG, so they may not have elastic in them which could be why I don't like them.) I got my new socks from Greg at Weeping Heart and I assumed they had elastic because they stay up so well, but maybe they don't either. Alas, fashion is not my bailiwick (Ask anyone who sees me day-to-day. :unsure: ), so I don't even know if the socks I have contain elastic or not.

To be honest, if I didn't have Michael and Kate looking out for me, advising me not to wear red shirts and such, I'd be a dead loss as far as the period clothing goes. I'm primarily interested in researching period surgeons and translating and explaining what I've learned. Well...that and hanging out with people who play pirates and telling tales about such. So, in the end socks that look pretty good and stay up are what is important to me. While I may not have much fashion sense, I do know I look pretty silly in all those pics I like to post on the web with bare knees. :unsure:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

"Frankly, if stockings don't need garters... I won't wear them... unless I have nothing else to wear."

A lady in ner' but stockings ....blink.gif could start a fashion trend cool.gifcool.gifwink.gif

Is it just me or does that form a lovely mental image that is hard to shake (depending on the lass so attired!!!! ohmy.gif:unsure::unsure:)

Callenish, ye tongue doth hang out like a limp sail. I'll join ye at baying at the Moon. rolleyes.gif

Jas. Hook

A lady in ner' but stockings ....blink.gif could start a fashion trend cool.gifcool.gifwink.gif

Is it just me or does that form a lovely mental image that is hard to shake (depending on the lass so attired!!!! ohmy.gif:unsure::blink:)

Callenish, ye tongue doth hang out like a limp sail. I'll join ye at baying at the Moon. rolleyes.gif

Jas. Hook

Oh, fer Davy's sake, ye two! :unsure:

Shocked! :unsure: Shocked I am! :o

I look better in th' clothes then out of them.

I mean, Callenish,... I HAVE to wear garters with m' stockings or at least a ribbon. The types that don't require garters do NOT work for me. No proper stockings, no way. I've learned m' lesson.

:::Pats Mission's back::: Tis ok, Mission.

Yeah, I have the same issue with garters not being above the knee. I tried several times but each time failed.

Bare knees... silly? NAW! ;)

~Lady B

Just for the record, I'm not feeling sorry for myself nor trying to make anyone else feel bad for me. I sort of like having spent my whole life as a diabetic - it makes me special. (This is why I got to ride the special bus. :blink: ) I'm just explaining why I feel no compunction about not attempting absolute accuracy. I'm ok with elastic, if, in fact, I have it in my socks.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Unfortunately, I can't wear them above the knee where they'd need to be to hold up the stupid linsey woolsey socks up when I'm wearing my breeches

You've got the garters in the right place: above the calves, below the knee. It's okay for the stockings to come up several inches above the garter. I wear mine inside my breeches, but if memory serves, during GAoP they would commonly be worn outside, around the bottom of the breeches. The latter I find is easier on the circulation and also helps keep the stockings in place.

I have found those black leather garters to be uncomfortable for their stiffness. PM me if you want a source for elk garters. I'm not claiming they're HC, but they're damn comfy! And yes, I've got insoles, liner socks, L&R lasted shoes, and a whole slough of non-HC accouterments too; so please don't take me for preaching, rather just sharing the information as best I have.

So you wear your garters inside your breeches, above the knee? I'd definitely need new ones for that. The ones I own are too small in diameter. I don't think the cuffs of my breeches are big enough to allow garters, though.

I don't really have a big problem with the black garters. I do notice that the socks eventually slip from the garters if I'm active, though.

Something else I noticed at Paynetown is that the L-W socks start getting all prickly after I've been wearing them for a while. I actually took them off there because it was really starting to bother me. (It was quite hot there, so that may have had something to do with it.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

For the "itchy wool" problems I suggest that washing your stockings in a lanolin shampoo lanolin wash

Once the lanolin has been removed from wool it can leech the oils from your skin and cause what a lot of folks think is an allergic reaction replacing the lanolin and other oils from the fibers can alleviate the symptoms of the itchiness.

You might try a product called "ShoeGoo" shoe goo to run a bead of a flexible poly on the inside of your garters to keep them in place on your stockings longer

Edited by callenish gunner

So you wear your garters inside your breeches, above the knee? I'd definitely need new ones for that.

No, I wear the garters above the calf, below the knee. It's the top of the socks (which come up over the knee) that I wear inside the breeches (although, yes, this way the breeches often come over the garters too). As I said, however, I believe it is more appropriate to the GAoP to wear the top of your stockings outside and over your breeches.

Take a look at this thread over at Black John's The Pirate Brethren site: Garters

That your socks slip through your garters makes me think you do not have your garters tight enough. You could also try roughing up the inside a bit more, to add some "grab."

I forgot to mention too, if you know a lady (or gent... no need to be sexists) who likes you a lot there are several good patterns, and "formulas" for knit stockings roaming around....

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I've been buying linsey woolsey and cotton ones from 96 District Storehouse for years. They are long enough to roll down and make comfortable kilt-hose when I'm wearing my kilts (non-pirate, casual clothing for me). Plus, I've found them comfortable too.

I wear the woolsey ones A LOT both in pirate kit and as kilt hose (socks), in fact that are some of my FAVORITE kilt hose and worn as that more often than the ones BOUGHT as kilt hose esp. in the summer heat.

Their number is:

864-366-9600

I am close enough for it to be a morning or afternoon trip (about 45-60 minutes, depending on route, traffic, and deer) to their storefront . . .

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg