August 13th,14th &15th, 2010 - Pirates of Paynetown

historyfanatic

poplogo2010pirates.gif

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

Ahoy Friends!

It's that time again!! Time to get registered for the 2010 Pirates of Paynetown weekend on Lake Monroe near Bloomington, Indiana. If you've been here before, then you know what fun this event is! If you've never attended, then you don't know what you're missing!! This is the best historical event of it's kind in the Midwest! Come experience a colonial-era North American "seaport" complete with a beach, cannon battery, shaded camping areas, a 10,000 acre lake, plus great reenactor amenities including flushing restrooms (with running water), showers, free ice, free firewood, and friendly staff. It's the most fun you'll ever have in period clothing!

Here's the catch though... Space is EXTREMELY limited!! We strongly encourage you to share camps/tents as much as possible and REGISTER EARLY. The deadline for pre-registration is June 1st. You MUST be pre-registered to attend. Walk-ons the weekend of the event will we turned away. Furthermore, the event always fills up long before the deadline is reached. As usual, registration fees are $5 per individual over the age of 16.

redcoat_petition_small.gif

We are looking for more British regulars this year!! Please tell all your Redcoated friends! If we can achieve a realistic number of Redcoats this year (approximately 20-30) to defend the town, then the British will prevail on Sunday's battle. If not, then the pirates will take the town again! For those of you with cannons: Bear in mind that unless your cannon is mounted on a boat, you will be defending the town. (In other words, you are not pirates if you have a garrison piece...) Be sure to cantact Nathan regarding cannon powder allotments.

NEW THIS YEAR: We will be officially opening up the grove at the end of the peninsula for "solitary" types to camp. In most Midwestern living history events, this would be known as a "longhunter camp". We'll call it a "Smuggler's Hideout"! This is a densely shared area with lots of good places to throw down a bedroll or sling a hammock. We also intend to have a floating dock to allow more space for small period boats. Also, DNR will be providing us with some additional overflow space across the road for a few more camps. Vendors, demonstrators and military will have first-dibs on the town area. Pirate camps will be first-come, first-served and when the town is full, late-comers will be camped across the road. (Don't worry it's not far away.) Lastly, as the event has grown we have seen a need to encourage historical authenticity. This is a fun event and certainly the Indiana locale is not very authentic to high-seas piracy, however, we still wish to keep an aura of history around the event. For this reason we have decided to provide a list of guidelines of what is expected historically-speaking. This is outlined on the website under a button labeled "FOR PARTICIPANTS". Please read it and police your camp accordingly.

We will be looking forward to seeing you at this year's Pirates of Paynetown! Please remember to tell your non-reenactor friends and family about this event! DNR would like to see more visitors coming through the gate this year!!

Your Most Humble Servants,

Nathanael Logsdon and Jennifer Wright

Event Coordinators - Pirates of Paynetown

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

YAY!

Shall spread th' word. :ph34r: And hopefully... HOPEFULLY... I'll be able to make it this year.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Kate,

We plan on doing something... I'll let you know when we have it set in stone.

Lady Barbossa,

Didn't you actually register last year? I remember I kept looking for you, but I can't remember if you ever appeared or not...

Nathan

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.ladywashington.org

WOULD NOT MISS IT FOR THE WORLD!!

fabulous event....

cant pass up the fabulous PEOPLE we met and saw and had fun with....

this year we shall tie the tots to the sleeping bags, then tie to the trees ! so i can attend the party .. i am soooooo done with not attending the late night parties!!!!!

Lady Barbossa,

Didn't you actually register last year? I remember I kept looking for you, but I can't remember if you ever appeared or not...

Nay... I didn't register. I had everything all filled out but didn't send a thing in. Nope, I wasn't able to make it. I was most unhappy.

This year is up in the air also. I SOOOOO want to go but not sure if I can get there.

~Lady B

• 3 months later...

Registration is filling up fast and the deadline is June 1st. If you want to attend this event, you need to send your registration in asap! If you are not registered, you may not camp or participate in any of the battles. Please got to www.piratesofpaynetown.org to register.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. I guess I'm not attending PoP. Tis too far out yet for me and things can happen in 3 months time. So, not attending. If registration wasn't so far from the actual date, I might attend. But.... just can't say 100% for sure that I'm attending.

Maybe next year, mates.

~Lady B

The reason that the deadline is three months out is that I have to have a list of registered participants to send to my insurance company and the state site. (This is so that you're covered in the case of an accident. It also allows you to get into the park for free.) Furthermore, I run this event and another living history weekend one month before this one almost singlehandedly. If I still have registrations coming in while I'm trying to run the other event, it gets very confusing.

There are a lot of other events that have 3-month deadlines. These events are usually very popular and have limited space. Trying to fit a lot of people comfortably in a small area is a logisitical nightmare. Having a lot of time to lay things out helps!

Lastly, I don't get paid to run this event. (In fact, I spend a lot of money out of pocket!) I run a business and take care of my son. I need all the time I can get to pull off something of this magnitude on a purely volunteer basis.

I hope this clears up any confusion regarding the deadline.

Thanks!

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

• 2 months later...

Howdy folks! Just a reminder that Pirates of Paynetown is this weekend! If you're looking for something really fun to do this weekend, please come out any enjoy the event! We've got a lot of folks registered and it looks like it's going to be another great year! Remember, most of the site is well shaded, we do have flushing restrooms and showers available, free ice, and the lake breeze more than makes up for any heat index. There's also 15,000 acres of lake to cool off in. Just remember to bring sunscreen!

See you there!!

www.piratesofpaynetown.org for more information.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

So I thought I would share the photos from this past weekend at the Pirates in Paynetown event... And maybe a short bit of a AAR/recap.

Link to Kate Souris' photos

So it was a hot weekend, probably the second most uncomfortable of my re-enacting career (second to this past June's outing at Fort De Chartres), but outside of the temperatures, it was a blast. A lot of boating got done, but not as much sailing as I would have liked. It just seemed as if whenever the breeze picked up enough, there was too much going on landside to get out, or it was just not a good time... And when there were opportunities for sailing, the breeze just wasn't good for it. So, most of the boating (for me) was rowing.

The Saturday battle more or less got rained out, as after the first few exchanges of canons, swivel guns, and musket firings, the sky opened up, and for the safety of those out in the boats, we all raced ashore and finished the battle up as quickly as possible. Sunday's battle was one of the more enjoyable battles I have been in this season though.

There were a lot of great folks out, some new friends, and many I had met before. Attendance was comparable to last year, but perhaps a few less (hard times and all). Saturday night got strange, but in a fun way, when most of the encampment went out swimming on the nearby beach. Many changed into modern swimming gear for this, but a goodly amount of us, just went out in our period clothing. It was a really fun and interesting experience seeing a bunch of re-enactors in such a state. It's hard to fully explain the experience, but it is a memory that will stick with me for a very long time, as it was so unique.

Anyways, that is the short version. A great time was had, and I for one certainly can not wait for next year!

Michael_banner.jpg

So I thought I would share the photos from this past weekend at the Pirates in Paynetown event... And maybe a short bit of a AAR/recap.

Link to Kate Souris' photos

So it was a hot weekend, probably the second most uncomfortable of my re-enacting career (second to this past June's outing at Fort De Chartres), but outside of the temperatures, it was a blast. A lot of boating got done, but not as much sailing as I would have liked. It just seemed as if whenever the breeze picked up enough, there was too much going on landside to get out, or it was just not a good time... And when there were opportunities for sailing, the breeze just wasn't good for it. So, most of the boating (for me) was rowing.

The Saturday battle more or less got rained out, as after the first few exchanges of canons, swivel guns, and musket firings, the sky opened up, and for the safety of those out in the boats, we all raced ashore and finished the battle up as quickly as possible. Sunday's battle was one of the more enjoyable battles I have been in this season though.

There were a lot of great folks out, some new friends, and many I had met before. Attendance was comparable to last year, but perhaps a few less (hard times and all). Saturday night got strange, but in a fun way, when most of the encampment went out swimming on the nearby beach. Many changed into modern swimming gear for this, but a goodly amount of us, just went out in our period clothing. It was a really fun and interesting experience seeing a bunch of re-enactors in such a state. It's hard to fully explain the experience, but it is a memory that will stick with me for a very long time, as it was so unique.

Anyways, that is the short version. A great time was had, and I for one certainly can not wait for next year!

Attendance was down a bit. Nate said that one an entire British unit got the flu. Too bad, I usually spend an evening or two playing music with them. It was still a well-attended event.

Common Stock was fun to watch. They were the entertainers.

It was really hot all day Friday and Sunday afternoon but Saturday was manageable.

It seemed like there were fewer pirate trappings around camp than in previous years but more boats.

I really enjoyed the Sunday battle. I think it worked better than any of the others. Having boat to boat fighting works better than shooting at cannons with small arms.

If we are lucky the current El Nino event that caused record summer heat will have ended by next year and temperatures will be back to normal.

Mark

here's a link to my pics... http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo45/ysail2/pirates%20of%20paynetown%202010/?start=all

hot ?? not as hot as fort de chartres !! fdc was just outright miserable... paynetown was very tolerable... something to do with the constant lake breeze and availability to jump in and drench yourself !! also the shade was ALOT better...

i made a wing to attach to the fly... didn't work out as wonderful as i wished, but did provide alot of extra shade...i think i may eventually get a bigger fly...

i enjoyed myself.... i don'tthink there was as many as last year... nathan had alot of last minute cancellations... saw alot of people again, met new ones... had a great time

If we are lucky the current El Nino event that caused record summer heat will have ended by next year and temperatures will be back to normal.

Weather will not differ me from attending an event. I've been to some VERY hot ones and survived... BARELY. It's having no means (money, transportation, time, etc) to attend an event. :rolleyes: I miss the good ol' days when I had a good job that paid well to allow me to attend events PLUS live decently. :rolleyes:

BTW, those are some pretty good photos. :) Always enjoy seeing what there is each year.

~Lady B

Unfortunately, Terry 'Blunderbuss' Blaine and I were not able to make it to Paynetown until late Sunday. We still had fun talking to you Michael --- and others!

And Terry was already buying wood supplies yesterday to start on his sailboat.

Does anyone know who the ropemaker at the event was? John somebody. Is there any contact information?

-Tar Bucket Bill

Ah, so you've met Sam then?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here are my photos from the event. You know, I can remember a time when I used to hate take photographs...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Paynetown. It's like a baptism with no drinking limit.

45041_124412360939959_115863025128226_126287_167488_n.jpg

The power of rum drinks compels you! Be healed!

All we need now is a proper preacher...

l_1b4ee8e1a2e4d48ed2df5620a0e00aa7.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG