Spartacus - Blood and Sand

Lady Alyx

I don't know if someone has posted this already, if they have please delete my post. I don't know if some of you already knew about this from going to Comic Con. It seems they had a panel there with some of the folks that are producing it or acting in it (saw some clips on youtube). Anyway I was checking Acuweather.com for the CA weather for our 5 day rainstorms and there was an ad on the side about this new show. Well I went to the Stars website specifically for this new show..and they had Episode 1 posted...I watched it and WOW IT IS FANTASTIC. Done in the style of The 300, but much much better, and I liked The 300 and own the DVD. I cannot wait for episode 2.

Anyone seen any of it?

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

I don't know if someone has posted this already, if they have please delete my post. I don't know if some of you already knew about this from going to Comic Con. It seems they had a panel there with some of the folks that are producing it or acting in it (saw some clips on youtube). Anyway I was checking Acuweather.com for the CA weather for our 5 day rainstorms and there was an ad on the side about this new show. Well I went to the Stars website specifically for this new show..and they had Episode 1 posted...I watched it and WOW IT IS FANTASTIC. Done in the style of The 300, but much much better, and I liked The 300 and own the DVD. I cannot wait for episode 2.

Anyone seen any of it?

Wow.....Just saw it last night on STARZ.The slowmo blood is a little korny, but what a series. I too can't wait for the next episode. I think I'll watch again tonight just cause it's that good, and Spartacus was my first Historic Hero....Too bad they didn't show more of TriReem they were taken to Cadua aboard,I mean below decks.....I give it 2 snaps up!

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

• 3 weeks later...

I have watched up to Epi 3 and wow...I am hooked! There are folks

on the Starz message boards ripping it because of the nudity, sex and

language ...what did they expect for the Roman era.... I love it

and enjoy the show for what it is a..trully fun romp!

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

I have watched up to Epi 3 and wow...I am hooked! There are folks

on the Starz message boards ripping it because of the nudity, sex and

language ...what did they expect for the Roman era.... I love it

and enjoy the show for what it is a..trully fun romp!

Well, if they don't want to know how it really was....They shouldn't watch it...Or at least read the rating legend at the beginning of the show...I get so tired of people whining about nudity,especially when they sit and watch every inch of it literally, and then complain about how disgusting it was...I really like watching shows that depict life the way it really was. Infact this is probably tame, if truth be told....

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

I took all of these reviews into account and was dying to watch the series. We just finished a unit on Ancient Rome and I thought selected scenes might be well blended into our curriculum. I am a huge 300 and Gladiator fan, and loved the even earlier Ben Hur and the original Spartacus.

BUT, this show was gawdawful. Poor acting and miserable dialogue led to a very disappointing show. We had to turn it off halfway through the first episode. The only redeeming quality was the '300 style' action sequences . . . .

thumbs_down.gif

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

For the subject of gladiators, a good book is Fik Meijer's "Gladiators: History's Most Deadly Sport" And ye know, they weren't over muscled "Mr Universe Contestant" types...they had a bit of fat to them, as, believe it or not, an added defense. Puts something a little extra between the steel and the vitals. To get a very good idea of how the sport really looked, do a Youtube search for "Ars Dimicandi"

A good books for the Spart-Man himself would be "The Spartacus War", by Barry Strauss

Not getting Starz, I've not watched the series itself, therefore cannot comment on it. Just being fair...

Damn, thats sharp!