The March 4th -7th 2010,Sack of St. Augustine Captain Searle's Rai

Sgt Johnson

In 1668 Capt. Robert Searle and his privateers sailed from Jamaica to loot the silver ingots held in the royal coffers at St. Augustine. Under cover of night, they slipped into the harbor and attacked the sleeping town. We are always looking for new recruits to portray townspeople, garrison soldiers, Native Americans, and buccaneers! Our focus is on an accurate historical impression, using correct materials, styles, and equipment. You need not be a historian, actor, or military enthusiast to participate.

WARNING ORDER

The 12th annual, historicalre-enactment of The Sack of St. Augustine: Capt. Robert Searle's Raid of1668 will take place on March 4th-7th 2010, in St. Augustine, Florida

PLEASE NOTE:

· This Event is ahistorical re-enactment. Historically accurate garb and gear are requiredto participate in this Event.

· English buccaneers andSpanish soldados - musketeers are needed! Matchlock, snaphaunce,doglock, and miquelet muskets will be accepted.

· Native Americanre-enactors, doing Timucua, Apalachee, and Guale, are especially welcome!

· If you are a sutler andinterested in selling at this Event,

please contact me asap at jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com.

For further information, please e-mail us at jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com or call 904-534-6168, or see or website at http://www.searles-buccaneers.com.

Please come join us!

Jeff Johnson

--Quartermaster / Information Officer, Searle's Buccaneers(c. 1668)

--Sergeantof Musket, Capt. John Tilden'sCompanie, Prince Rupert's Regiment of Foote (c. 1645) [members, Sealed Knot UK]

--Sergeant of Musket /Quartermaster Gordon's Musketeers, Strathbogie Regiment (c. 1639 and 1644)

--Sergeant / Quartermaster,Drake's Men (c. 1586)

904-534-6168

E-mail: jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com

Edited by Sgt Johnson

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be able to attend the entire event, alas (I have to take the whole following week off of work as a friend is coming over from Ireland, so all my PTO is already earmarked) but I should be there Friday night until Sunday Afternoon.

I won't be able to attend the entire event, alas (I have to take the whole following week off of work as a friend is coming over from Ireland, so all my PTO is already earmarked) but I should be there Friday night until Sunday Afternoon.

We look forward to seeing you again!

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

One question why do they do this raid reenactment in March instead of May?

We do it in March to avoid another reenactment our group puts on the first weekend in June... Drakes Raid on St Augustine...1586. Having 2 major events on back to back weekends is way to much to handle, and it would also effect attendance for both.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

OK... I gots th' money fer the airfare.... so on Monday, I will (well... should) be booking a flight from San Fransisco to Jacksonville....

Now if I have to bum a ride from Jacksonville down to St. Augustine, what is the best time fer me to arrive.... and if I'm going back on Monday... once again, what is the best time...

Kinda need some help with some of these minor details.....

OK... I gots th' money fer the airfare.... so on Monday, I will (well... should) be booking a flight from San Fransisco to Jacksonville....

Now if I have to bum a ride from Jacksonville down to St. Augustine, what is the best time fer me to arrive.... and if I'm going back on Monday... once again, what is the best time...

Kinda need some help with some of these minor details.....

I sent you PM Pat. If you can get to JAX, we can get you to and from the airport.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

Boy, this is getting interesting...

On Monday, March 1st, I will be going to a Pizza Show in Los Vegas NV. and then fly outta L.V. Thursday afternoon, to Searle's Raid, Then Fly back outta Jacksonville to San Fransico (it's $80 cheaper than flying into Sacramento) and taking BART to Dublin...

I should be purchising my airline tickets today or tomarrow, then I will know the exact (well as exact as airlines fly any more) arrival and departure times.....

I looked up how much over sized baggage would cost, and to fly with my doglock would be $175 extra both ways!, So I checked with the Post Office, and they can ship the doglock for about $40 ... But because I will be working in Vegas first, I will have to mail my garb and buccaneer stuff ahead of time also...

(I'll PM Sgt. Johnson for a shipping address in a day or so...)

Fun fun Fun... But atleast I will get to go to Searle's Raid....

Boy, this is getting interesting...

On Monday, March 1st, I will be going to a Pizza Show in Los Vegas NV. and then fly outta L.V. Thursday afternoon, to Searle's Raid, Then Fly back outta Jacksonville to San Fransico (it's $80 cheaper than flying into Sacramento) and taking BART to Dublin...

I should be purchising my airline tickets today or tomarrow, then I will know the exact (well as exact as airlines fly any more) arrival and departure times.....

I looked up how much over sized baggage would cost, and to fly with my doglock would be $175 extra both ways!, So I checked with the Post Office, and they can ship the doglock for about $40 ... But because I will be working in Vegas first, I will have to mail my garb and buccaneer stuff ahead of time also...

(I'll PM Sgt. Johnson for a shipping address in a day or so...)

Fun fun Fun... But atleast I will get to go to Searle's Raid....

We will be glad to have you sir! You will be a fine addation to the privateer forces. HUZZAH!

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Are there going to be any Sutlers at Searle's ?

I broke my clay pipe after PiP this year, and the only one I have isn't any more period than my cigarettes..... :rolleyes:

Also, what is the ground and weather like this time of year? If there is a chance of rain, I'll bring my oiled groundcloth..Otherwise I can save shipping weight by not bringing it...

The weather can be anything that time of year. Last year it was sunny but a bit brisk in the morning and nights. The ground at the location they're going to be at this year depends on whether you're on the high side or the low side. Low side, get a canoe, if it really rains. :)

Last year (if I recall) we had a great sutler, because Michael got to enjoy some gunpowder in his coffee one morning. (muhahaha)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

The weather can be anything that time of year. Last year it was sunny but a bit brisk in the morning and nights. The ground at the location they're going to be at this year depends on whether you're on the high side or the low side. Low side, get a canoe, if it really rains. :)

Last year (if I recall) we had a great sutler, because Michael got to enjoy some gunpowder in his coffee one morning. (muhahaha)

-- Hurricane

Last year as far as I was concerned, it was perfect re-enacting weather... Warm enough to be nice (but a tad cool in the night) and not so hot as to be oppressive.

As for the gunpowder in my coffee.... After the initial shock and almost breaking into tears like the baby I am (when it comes to coffee), that was some of the best tasting black powder I ever tasted... :rolleyes:

The sutlers from last year while few, were good and had some decent stuff. I think I bought stuff from all three vendors in attendance. Some flints from Art and Janet, some other musket cleaning accessories from the tented vendor, and my second pair of shoes from the guy there selling the Loyalist shoes (who made not have been set up to "officially" vend, but had the stuff there for sale). I was really tempted on some of the wools the one vendor had, but it wasn't in the budget.

Art and Janet will be there again, and they always seem to have pipes in stock, I think the tented vendor had them as well, so you should be covered there Patrick.

Michael_banner.jpg

Patrick ,there is usually john of st augustine textile a mighty fine suttler and a few more

the ground usually will drain off quickly if we get a fair rain but we try to setup on the higher ground and if your in a hammock you won't have to fend off the fiddler CRABs in the morning climbing up the tent walls, your right on the river

as of now its in the low 30s to high 50s just wait another week or so to get a better weather report , either way its a great event

Oh, man. I forgot about the crabs... don't want to get those ever again. :) Just don't sleep near Jill or Diosa and you won't have to worry about getting them either. :rolleyes:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Oh, man. I forgot about the crabs... don't want to get those ever again. :) Just don't sleep near Jill or Diosa and you won't have to worry about getting them either. :D

-- Hurricane

LOL....I shall refrain from any comment on that one Hurricane. Patrick, there wil be sutlers on had that carry pipes. John Williams (in the big tent) and Art n Janet . Ivan Henry aka Mooseworth will be there with some of his firearms, and I have been talking with old Sutler Jon. Hopefully he can make it if work permits.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

Despite the fact that I will not be able to attend an event in my own backyard this weekend - I *AM* still planning on coming to St. Auggie for this. After all, I pestered the hell outta poor Kate to come - I might never be able to show my face at another pyrate event if I don't come too!

Despite the fact that I will not be able to attend an event in my own backyard this weekend - I *AM* still planning on coming to St. Auggie for this. After all, I pestered the hell outta poor Kate to come - I might never be able to show my face at another pyrate event if I don't come too!

And honestly....it was just waiting on my boss to approve the time or not.

Banner.jpg