my Pyrating firelock in progress

Chain-Shot Charley

This is my Baby so far - a custom, scratch built Walnut stock Club Butt "canoe gun"...1st coat of finish was applied after these pics this evening.

Been doing this gun for a while & hopefully will be done in time for some events.This poor thing I am sure is not very PC for F & I war,but $ situation dictated I finish it & use it anyways until I can get 1 that is.

I think it should be OK for Pyracy ,considering it's compatible in size with Blunderbusses?

beforefinish.jpg

beforefinish4.jpg

beforefinish1.jpg

beforefinish3.jpg

I am hoping when I got the funds to add a Pistol to this to complete the look of a Pyrate. :rolleyes:

NICE!

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Yes, nice. Now how about some info on how you did it?

Did you start with an existing gun and use it's lock & barrel just making the stock from scratch? or did you buy or make the parts yourself? If bought, where did you get them?

Also, where did you get the idea/pattern for the shape of the stock?

I was thinking of taking something like the PA Pellet flintlock from Traditions and making a stock for it to try to have a GAOP carbine, but was not sure if something like that would work or not.

again, nice work.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Oh no! That's all wrong!

But I don't mean to be unkind; send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you. ;)

Seriously though, nice work.

L&R QA lock?

Who made the barrel?

How long and of what caliber is it? .62?

That club butt could be handy in a canoe...especially if you lose a paddle! :rolleyes:

Well to answer some questions:

The barrel started out as a Track of the Wolf 30" barrel .62 cal.

L & R Queen Anne lock from ToW as well,along with brass RR pipes & an English fowler trigger.

Customized stock design from a combo of early stock gun pics off the net, Leonard Day guns,& John Bucks gun designs/shapes.

Original stock was almost done when disaster struck.While trimming side with a bandsaw all H*** broke loose & was sawed Vert & Horiz. axis!!!

Cut out newly tweaked stock from Walnut,sawed barrel down to 20",& here is the result!!

I LOVE the Club Butt shape....:rolleyes: & when I saw Mr.Bucks site I had to do this stock design.

Ohh & QM James :I cannot send it,I am a Pyrate & "we" have no permanent address - S a v v y?

Here is todays pic with Danish oil finish.I still need to make a Trigger guard,& it's done!

Finishon.jpg

Edited by Chain-Shot Charley

Very nicely done ...it would still work for F & I there was such a wide variety of civilian weapons in the hands of colonists from Spanish miquelets and Dutch or French club butts, fowlers, carbines, German Jaegers, Pennsylvania long rifles and muskets of all ilk from virtually every country in Europe and even from local gunsmiths in the colonies. Too many folks try to narrow the weapons that were used to a few military or popular "current production" in the years of the conflict. The common man if he had a gun that would shoot, he used what he had at hand. Perhaps if he had money or goods to spare to obtain a newer weapon perhaps he would or make due with what he already possessed.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason the trigger doesn't look as long here as it does on the other site. I have a rough sand-cast brass early style trigger guard in my parts box, but I'm not sure if it's trigger bow is deep enough to accomodate your trigger. If you are interested in it, give me a measurment and I'll check it against what I have, if it'll work you can have it just so I can see it completed. That is a sweeeet piece. Need a carbine ring on the side to complete the package too! Boar hunting on Hispanloa anyone???

Bo

Beautiful!

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.