sewing the bodiced gown SKIRTS.....

lady constance

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.....

well things are going fabulously well......

Cap'n Sterling- you know that middle line the goes down the mantua skirt { FOR THAT 1660's BODICED GOWN??? }

great for basing measurements off of...

AND AND AND AND......

I BET BET BET bet that is a cutting line.....

1.)BECAUSE IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH EASIER TO WORK WITH SKIRTS THAT ARE ONLY HALF THAT VOLUME TO PLEAT, then stitch them together...........

2)after it is allll finished no one can tell it ws sewn in peices and put together...

3) easier to cut that triangle train pieceso that it matches both sides of the skirt perfectly

doe sanyone want to deduse HOW i figured this out???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

AND norah waugh says nothing, and gives NO advice about kitty cats loving and having to lay one your skirts as you pleat and stitch and such.....loading the squirt guns now....

picture upcoming

skirtpics002.jpg

this where i re did all the pleats and i refuse to stick the one with kitty layingall over it--- thatis rewarding squishys BAD behaviour...

off to pleat the other side....

and a piece of cardboard cut to depth of wanted pleats make this go FAST,,, ABOUT 10 MINUTES FOR PLEATING 100 INCHES of gown

ummmm serious length problems....

seriously LONG!!! {and i dont think even a three inch hem will make much difference!!!!}

this skirt was made to have a length of 72 inches{not hemmed}-- and the waugh gown gave lengths of 108" measurements to tip of skirt triangle... thelady who wore the gown was very tall, OR had mega cage skirts OR did nothing but stand and pose wearing the dress.....

skirtpic002.jpg

skirtpic004.jpg

Looks great. Coming along right nice there, Constance. :)

Hehehe, looks like yo'r cat has a fascination with fabric just like mine. :rolleyes:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

ummmm serious length problems....

seriously LONG!!! {and i dont think even a three inch hem will make much difference!!!!}

this skirt was made to have a length of 72 inches{not hemmed}-- and the waugh gown gave lengths of 108" measurements to tip of skirt triangle... thelady who wore the gown was very tall, OR had mega cage skirts OR did nothing but stand and pose wearing the dress.....

Or long trained skirts were the fashion of the time... They would have walked slowly to show off their trains.... Or sometimes bustled them up. Having never worn a skirt, I couldn't tell you for sure, but watching my wife wear one, it is possible to get used to having all that fabric trail behind you.

Michael_banner.jpg

As a female who loves long and trained skirts... You get used to it. Also the extra length actually makes it easier to move because you can "pick it up" (in many different ways) and still look elegant (or have little boys carry it for you! lol) without showing underskirt unless you intend to do so. I've seen some engravings where the over-skirt is lined with beautiful patterned fabric...<br><br>*shrug* <br><br><br>

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Lady B -- yes my cats have an absoolute fascincation with the sewing machine AND fabric...both items are like catnip or kitty cocaine!! it is as if the machine speaks "purr"

without a body form, trying to get a person to volunteer to stand there and let me pin and try to fgiure out where the buttons and bands need to go to hold up and define the shape.....need to find a way to do this....

and Lady Brower--i would love to find a coordinating material and line the edges...i would love to find a silk and border the edge of thr skirt with about 5 inches of it...looking for a pinkwith gold/ stripe kind of design--or a paisely}

and i better start seriously looking at back bustles historically....i do plan on being able to see the underskirts..{my golden colored silk ones}

and Micheal-- pink linen dragging behind me is not going to stay pink very long!!!

and Micheal-- pink linen dragging behind me is not going to stay pink very long!!!

And hence the difference between period high fashion indoor court wear... and the actual stuff period women wore that was much shorter and more functional. Wife has only ever worn her Mantua with the train to an indoor ball, an evening at an indoor bar, and once for a short outdoor photo shoot in Hampton. Any other time she is re-enacting, she will be found in her much more sensible knee to ankle length gowns. Fancy gowns have their time and place, unfortunately, it is not often at your average re-enactment.

Michael_banner.jpg

I have a question.

I have a beautiful black velvet skirt in which I sewed gorgeous red satin inside for a lining. The skirt is very long, even in the front (I bought the thing from someone else). I'd really like to shorten it, but it would mean cutting into the trim that is on the edges. Having walked around the Ojai fair one year with it, the satin/skirt dragging all over the ground and getting super dirty and then the tripping on the the long front caused some problems.

What would you do to correct this situation?

Depending on the skirt, you can adjust from the top. Or you can cut off the trim, adjust the length and re-attached the trim....

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Depending on the detail of the way the waist is fitted into the waist band it may very well be easier to take the waistband off and shorten and reattach the skirts to the waistband than remove trim from the hem and lining and create a lot more work from working from the detail at the lower hem. Without seeing the garment it is hard to give you a hard and fast advice.

Connie, I'd agree with Michael that court gown weren't very practical for the average woman (many had attendants that followed them around just making sure their skirts were either lifted or kept from snagging and then arranged when they stopped or sat). Press gang some of those "extra kids" you have around to be your attendants! :rolleyes: Bustling would be one approach or just shorten them :o ...what was I thinking???

Edited by callenish gunner

well--- i am tossing all that work down the hopper...

it just was not hanging and drpaing like i think it should... so i flame tested it... the warp threads are LINEN, BUT THE weft threads are ployester............so much for cheap linen.. even if it says donegal and irish linen.......

any body want it and the extra yard of fabric for playing with??????????? firsst one who sens me a PM with your address ITS YOURS!! pleats and all..........

not gonna beat myself up .. i got expereince doing more pleats{ dont think i need it , but i will take speed and accuracy increase--}

know that i will NOT ever make that long of a train ever too impractical for my use

the only linen i have is either black or white........

I don't think you should just toss away what you've already done, Connie. Even though you think your fabric is a blend of some sort, it's still good practice....like a mock up. I've found that doing a mock up first and getting the pattern right on other fabric (in my case, I use whatever I find on sale or on the $1 rack at walmart that is about the right weight)before I cut into the good fabric. Especially with a new pattern. Just a thought.

Banner.jpg

well it dye aint much help for a fabric with polyester--the natural fabric dyes well, but the polyester wont....

ohh wait you mean for my white linen!!such a goof!!!

Kate, the pattern is in my head...what captain sterling posted....

i feel so horriboe for wasting everyones time........

not a peep from me til i get a set of stays done ,,,,,,,,,,,,