Haitian earthquake

Sjöröveren

Given our common interest in past events in the Caribbean, I want to encourage all of us to do whatever they can to help with disaster relief for the Haitian earthquake. This may be more devastating that the famous Port Royal earthquake of 1692! They're saying that there may be as many as half a million dead, in a country that was already the poorest in the Western Hemisphere.

Please consider a donation to the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army or other relief organization that you feel could help!

Even 2 folks living on disability are sending our donations ....a city of almost 2.5 -3 million people and the city is virtually totally destroyed with little to no infrastructure functioning. Simple things that we take for granted are going to be crucial beginning in the next 24 hours; water, food, shelter and basic sanitation. With the number of dead and injured and little in the way nearly enough of anything in country what the rest of the world does will determine how many more will die from the repercussions of their own social and economic desperation. What any of us would spend for a burger and a Coke could feed a family there for a week, or provide medication to save a dozen lives.

Edited by callenish gunner

Check with local churches as well. Majority of them have missions in Haiti and I'm sure they would greatly welcome help of some sort.

My thoughts and prayers go to those in Haiti.

I know when I heard about the Earthquake last night (while at a meeting to form a Disaster Committee for the county I live in, ironic), immediately what came to mind was Port Royal's devastation 300 years ago.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

For those interesting in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Doctors Without Borders was already on the ground in Haiti and presently have the best infrastructure in spite of losing several members of their staff and two whole hospitals.

All of the contacts below were copied from:

Rachel Maddow Show at MSNBC

On the web site all of the below have links to their respective web sites.

The most needed and the most transferable and transmutable type of help is money. Send cash. There is no infrastructure to sort through tons of "stuff" sent in randomly by well-meaning folks wanting to donate "stuff." Give money and let the experts buy what is needed and ship it off.

Action Against Hunger, 877-777-1420

American Red Cross, 800-733-2767

American Jewish World Service, 212-792-2900

AmeriCares, 800-486-4357

Beyond Borders, 866-424-8403

CARE, 800-521-2273

CarmaFoundation

Catholic Relief Services, 800-736-3467

Childcare Worldwide, 800-553-2328

Concern Worldwide, 212-557-8000

Cross International, 800-391-8545

Direct Relief International, 805-964-4767

Doctors Without Borders, 888-392-0392

Feed My Starving Children, 763-504-2919

Food for the Poor, 800-427-9104

Friends of WFP, 866-929-1694

Haiti Children, 877-424-8454

Haiti Marycare, 203-675-4770

Haitian Health Foundation, 860-886-4357

Hope for Haiti, 239-434-7183

International Medical Corps, 800-481-4462

International Rescue Committee, 877-733-8433

International Relief Teams, 619-284-7979

Lutheran World Relief, 800-597-5972

Medical Teams International, 800-959-4325

Meds and Food for Kids, 314-420-1634

Mennonite Central Committee, 888-563-4676

Mercy Corps, 888-256-1900

Operation Blessing, 800-730-2537

Operation USA, 800-678-7255

Oxfam, 800-776-9326

Partners in Health, 617-432-5298

Project HOPE, 800-544-4073

Rural Haiti Project, 347-405-5552

The Salvation Army, 800-725-2769

Samaritan's Purse, 828-262-1980

Save the Children, 800-728-3843

UN Central Emergency Response Fund

UNICEF, 800-367-5437

World Concern, 800-755-5022

World Hope International, 888-466-4673

World Relief, 800-535-5433

World Vision, 888-511-6548

Yele Haiti, 212-352-0552

Wyclef Jean's grassroots org

Text Yele to 501 501 to donate $5 via your cellphone

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Well I think Jim covered it, godspeed to those people.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

The most needed and the most transferable and transmutable type of help is money. Send cash. There is no infrastructure to sort through tons of "stuff" sent in randomly by well-meaning folks wanting to donate "stuff." Give money and let the experts buy what is needed and ship it off.

And give cash again in the coming weeks. Cash will help employ Haitians in the rebuilding of their country, and help them bring a sense of structure back into their lives.

As usual catastrophes like this bring out the best and worst in people ......scammers and a$holes like Limbaugh & Robertson using these events to twist it to their own disgusting agendas. The worst part of leeches like these men is that they have the power to persuade the gullible that this is God's will or a left-wing conspiracy to give Obama political clout to the light or dark blacks of the world. I don't think I have ever been more offended by even hearing the words of men like this. Folks who will try to scam cash from true humanitarians who are trying to ease the suffering and save lives as best they can. If it was within my power these wastes of human beings would be made to suffer the hell that the people of Haiti are going through. :( :( :(

Edited by callenish gunner

Usually where I work they set up a company matching program for the big disasters. I waited for that since my monies will be doubled. So they finally set that up so today they got 100 dineros from me. It's so terrible over there been watching since day 1.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

SCHOONER WOLF LEADING FLOTILLA TO HAITI WITH RELIEF SUPPLIES

Florida, USA - The number is now a dozen boats, and it's growing daily. Led by the 74 foot schooner Wolf out of Key West, a flotilla of yachts is preparing to bring much needed aid and emergency supplies to the more remote coastal and outlying areas of earthquake-stricken Haiti, going where the large ships and major responders can't easily reach. Their goal for the voyage is simply to give help where it's needed most, and you can join in this admirable endeavor.

Organized by the non-profit group OceansWatch, the boats will be loaded with as much as they can safely carry, and are scheduled to set sail on February 8th. A second flotilla is gathering in Jamaica, and there are more yachts throughout the Caribbean either planning to set sail or already en route to bring humanitarian aid to the people of Haiti, hundreds of thousands of whom are struggling daily to find food, water and shelter.

How can you help? If you have a seaworthy boat in Florida or the Caribbean, are available to crew on another boat, or if you have supplies of food, shelter, medicines, tools, tarps, water containers, shipping containers, or any other appropriate items which you would like to donate, please send an email to sequoia@oceanswatch.org with the details.

If it's not possible for you to take part in the flotilla directly, you can help provide funding for the acquisition of supplies by making a charitable donation. Oceans Watch pledges that 100% of funds donated will go directly to purchase aid supplies to be delivered by yachts heading for Haiti. You may donate by PayPal or Credit Card here, or by check or money order sent to:

Haiti Relief

OceansWatch North America

PO Box 616

Norwalk, CT 06856 USA

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

While I applaud the generosity and effort of the flotilla, I would strongly caution private excursions to the island at this time. While the intent may be well placed it should be remembered that you are sailing to an island without a working government. You may end up entering the country illegally as there may be no working customs office. Doing so may cost your captains their tickets.

Has there been any coordination with officials in Haiti, either US or Haitian? I could not find any referenced in the OceansWatch or Seven Seas Cruising Association web sites.

Be aware that you are sailing into a country in which a state of emergency has been declared. If not cleared ahead of time you may be turned back by the US Coast Guard or US Navy, both of which are now on patrol in Haitian waters.

Be prepared to deal with disease. Cholera should be breaking out about now.

You will be sailing to a population growing desperate, some desperate enough to take your ship and leave with it.

Also, professional aid organizations are wary about just showing up in a parking lot with relief aid for fear of creating a mob scene, hence the famous "bottleneck"; the population is so densely packed in the city that it is hard to penetrate and disperse aid widely and evenly, if at all. You may have better luck in the outlying areas but don't count on it.

Good luck to you and those who will join you but be aware of the dangers on land and sea.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

My sympathies to those people...

And I applaud all those who have donated...

My money will be going to relief funds to help folks here in the states, like the folks STILL suffering after Katrina...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

My friend Maggie (Magdala) was born in Haitti. She has family there and has heard nothing. Please pray for them.

Almost forgot to mention that Maggie's family has been located and although not all is well they are alive and unhurt! Thanks for all the prayers.