Surgeon's Journal Web Page 2009

Mission

It's done!

Surgeon's Journal 2009

Now new and improved with pictures and added insight (cough)! Get a shot of rum and enjoy it! (Personally, I'm going to get a shot of rum and enjoy not having to do any more it!)

Oh, and for those of you who are feeling nostalgic (and can really hold your rum) here are the other two.

Surgeon's Journal 2008

Surgeon's Journal 2007

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I give Robyn some points there. For such a cutsey dog, she didn't give it too cutsey a name. There may be good in her. Although had I known that I could have used that old chestnut joke response to "Does ginger bite?" (So it's probably better this way. Poof! And you're all good.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Great reading for a lazy Sunday at home. Thank so much Mission! It was almost like being there.

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Thanks all! One great thing about making those web pages is re-living the event again. (...and again and again and again and... I must say I become very familiar with everyone's photo albums after the 30th search through them all to find that one picture that I vaguely recall seeing of such-and-so. Ok, that part does start to suck a little after the first dozen such recollections of pictures. (Where the heck is it?!))

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh, yes, and lest I forget, Thanks SO MUCH to Brig for copy editing this. She told me in a recent email that she has to drink rum to be able to do it.

(Although if the last few pages have glaring typos, it's because I published the thing before she had a chance to look at them. I just wanted to be DONE with it!)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Well done, mate. 'Tis a good thing that surgeons kept journals.

Thanks.

It's actually quite odd that this happened to be so. I chose to be a surgeon character because it seemed like an under-represented job on the board here and it involved specialty, science and specific research that only a few brave souls on the Pub had gotten into.

However, I created the first journal because William Red Wake's wife Maeve O'Treasaigh, who was in Hawaii or some such while William was at PiP in 2007, started a topic called "Play by play at PiP" and I took the idea and ran with it. When I started serious research into surgeons post-PiP '07, I realized I was following in the footsteps of my forbears. (And I do so enjoy writing on a certain level.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

As always WONDERFUL!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Reading your Journal was a refreshing hour spent and I got booted offline before I could post this response yesterday. Your hard work and dedication to try to recount the events of PIP in the rather comical, rum soaked, veiled recollections of an omnipresent observer to all sorts of goings on of this lot is impressive. I laud your efforts for the pleasure it has given myself and others of the events and the people that have made impressions on you during your wanderings.

Thanks again! Please do share this with people. While it is definitely meant to recall everything and give those who were there some warm fuzzies and a few laughs, it is also meant to entice new people to come experience PiP.

And I am not leaving this pinned at the top as it's not THAT important. So to whoever did that, I'm unpinning it. :o (Probably Stynky...he does that to things he wants to go back and read. SAVE IT TO YOUR FAVORITES, PAL!)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mission, that is some good reading. Thanks. I actually sent it to some coworkers who wanted to know how the trip was.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum