iPhone, Blackberry & Smart Phone Problems

iPirate

when I'm out and about I like to check in with the pub on my iphone. Unfortunately, this site seems to do this auto-dectect thing and defaults to a "lo-fi" format when it senses I'm using a mobile device. Many websites do this but they usually provide an option to switch to the full version of the site. I can find no such option when viewing the pub on my iphone. The end result is I get absolutely no graphics and many features return the error, "can't do this with a lo-fi theme".

The funny thing is, when I pull up the pub on my LG phone, it doesn't do the auto-detect for mobile and gives me the full site.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

LG did a great job ripping off the iPhone didn't they! LOL

Sorry, that's probably not very funny to Apple and iPhone users. . .

I would think your iPhone would give you the option to switch/pick how you wanted to view things. But then again I've developed for Apple before and they tend to take decisions deemed technical away and make them for you.

Anyway I'm not sure what can be done - but I'll look to see if there's something I can do on this end.

to clarify a bit, other websites don't give me this problem, most load as a normal website. The ones that do load as a "mobile" site usually give me the option to view it regular.

So it's not an option on the iphone itself (iTouch, actually, same thing), it's something specific to this site.

I appreciate you saying that - thank you.

The topic is pinned for now, which means it's a known issue (reminding me that it's) needing to be addressed.

Also it gives me a place to update/report it's status, give other people a place to chime in on/complain about it - let me know if it changes, goes away, remains the same or acts different.

Thanks j8ksdad for the link - that looks like a fix.

I still have several large - more important code and ui organizational projects I need to do before I can get this done.

Feel free to bump me in a few days or over the week-end if it's not fixed.

Hubby was kind enough to upgrade me to an iPhone when our old plan was up ~ I don't mind not having the graphics, but I couldn't seem to find a way to log in and get my PMs... anyone with any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as I am still trying to figure it out on the run...

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Hey Stynky,

It works the same as before for me. No change. However, I don't mind the low-fi version on my phone.

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Hey Stynky,

It works the same as before for me. No change. However, I don't mind the low-fi version on my phone.

yah, same here, nothing has changed. It's a catch 22 for me. My work firewall blocks most image hosts such as photobucket so I can't see most of the pics people post here.

and then on my iPhone, I get no graphics at all...

so I have to wait until I get home on my own computer to see any pics.

Not a problem. . . or at least I hope it won't be.

Let me catch up on a few more things and take a closer look at jk8s link to code. If it does what we think - maybe we can get something implemented soon rather than later.

• 4 months later...

For all the iphone and other mobile device users: what would you like to see/ or change if you could, while using the pub from your phone?

For me, so far everything is much better but photo gallery at the top is showing the pics vertically. So you have to scroll down a bit to get to the first topic. Not a big deal but I would rather see the topics first.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

yah, same here, nothing has changed. It's a catch 22 for me. My work firewall blocks most image hosts such as photobucket so I can't see most of the pics people post here.

and then on my iPhone, I get no graphics at all...

so I have to wait until I get home on my own computer to see any pics.

For all the iphone and other mobile device users: what would you like to see/ or change if you could, while using the pub from your phone?

For me, so far everything is much better but photo gallery at the top is showing the pics vertically. So you have to scroll down a bit to get to the first topic. Not a big deal but I would rather see the topics first

Lilly if I understand you correctly, the horizontal row of recently uploaded images that displays at the top of the forum, is showing up as a long vertical column on your iphone that you have to then scroll through before you can get to any topics.

Is that right?

Just a note to everyone who thought I had abandoned the iphone/smart phone issues, the Pub has now been updated to support iphone and smart phones. Though it seems to be working better, it sounds like we're still having some troubles.

Please test it and give me your feedback here.

That's correct darlin' It's not a big deal though. I think the pics are just too large to fit side by side.

One difference, I can update my status but I can't see the "update recent status" bar.

Edited by Haunting Lily Alexander

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I'm not sure what I can do immediately - I mean look how many months it took before I finally got the Pub to display semi-correct on iphones. . .

But really before I do anything, I need to know how we're looking on smart phones - is there anyone out that can report?

• 2 months later...

Once again the Pub has had another software upgrade. How are our iphones and mobile devices users seeing things these days - everyone good?

That's correct darlin' It's not a big deal though. I think the pics are just too large to fit side by side.

One difference, I can update my status but I can't see the "update recent status" bar.

Lilly, are 'Recent Gallery Images' still displaying vertically?

I don't have any pictures on the main screen. Things in the threads look as usual. All the log in, messenger and profile stuff is on the next screen over. Use the double arrow button at the top to get there. I can send screen captures if you're interested Stinky.

I'm viewing and posting on an iPhone os 4

Also, I like not having the images. They take up bandwidth and I'm not really interested in them.

I don't have any pictures on the main screen. Things in the threads look as usual. All the log in, messenger and profile stuff is on the next screen over. Use the double arrow button at the top to get there. I can send screen captures if you're interested Stinky.

I'm viewing and posting on an iPhone os 4

Also, I like not having the images. They take up bandwidth and I'm not really interested in them.

Lilly, are 'Recent Gallery Images' still displaying vertically?

I'm not seeing the pics anymore either. But that's ok with me as well.

Awesome - that's what I wanted to hear. I'm going to consider this bug squashed then and unpin it.

• 4 weeks later...