Muffs!!!

Jack Roberts

With all this cold weather gear I'm making here is yet another item that I just completed.

A Hand Muff. I obtained some rabbit pelts from my parents and just put this together this afternoon.

It's not for me but I modeled it for you. Now I need to shower the fur off me.

DSCN2834.JPG

DSCN2840.JPG

Nice work! Is the inside lined in fur? Or a fabric? It's hard to tell from those photos...

On an unrelated note? What is with you and cold weather gear all of a sudden? Is Florida going through a mini and localized iced age or something? :D Or are you just going to be traveling north more in the future?

Michael_banner.jpg

OH JACK ROBERRRRTS!!!! HI AGAIN ITS ME ROBBIE I WONDER IF GUNNER IS RIGHT WILL IT KEEP YOU WARM I THINK I MIGHT TRY TO MAKE ONE HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG A HAIR YOU NEED FOR MAKING ONE YOU HAVE SHORT HAIR AND REGULAR HAIR AND LONG HAIR RABBITS TO MAKE ONE OUT OF ARE THERE BALD RABBITS YOU COULD MAKE A BARE ONE OUT OF BUT THAT WOULDNT MAKE MUCH SENSE EVEN TO SIMPLE OLD ME OHHH AND THEN THE COLORS LOTS OF CHOICES WHY I BET YOU COULD EVEN FIND THE RIGHT COLOR TO MATCH A LADIES HAIR ON HER HEAD WOULDN'T THAT BE SOMETHING I BET IT WOULD BE PRETTY BUT DUTCH SAID THAT SOME WOMEN DIE THEIR HAIR NOW THAT WOULD BE CONFUSING WOULD THEY DIE THE RABBIT TOO AND WHAT IF ITS TOO SMALL IT WOULD BE TIGHT BUT THEN I GUESS IT WOULD WEAR OUT A LITTLE AND STRETCH AND WHAT ABOUT DWARF RABBITS YOU WOULD NNED MORE THAN ONE TO KEEP YOU WARM I DONT KNOW I THINK I MIGHT NOT GET IT RIGHT IVE SEEN PICTURES OF ONE BUT IVE NEVER PUT MY HANDS IN ONE MAYBE I SHOULD JUST STAY AWAY FROM THEM

oh boy- that one will get sensored. the only thing he let out was his trip to the local mall for research. he asked a woman at the fur shop if he could see hers and she smacked him. was my fault though. I told him they probably had some he could see and handle to get an idea for his... obviously didn't go so well.

Actually ROBBIE, there are a lot of muffs that have no hair on them... satiny smooth when you ease your hand into them and you can have a muff dyed to match every outfit you wear. I personally don't think they're quite as warm as one that is lovely and furry and more like the pelt as nature created ....nothing quite like a natural sable haired Russian muff ...some folks swear by French Fox muffs ...but for lots of folks they will always stick with a good ol' British woolie muff, but they have a tendency to stink like wet dog if they get dripping wet .....:D;) ;)

WHAT???? THEY DO!!! ;) ;)

Edited by callenish gunner

Jack-

I have this absolutely gorgeous grey fox pelt (affectionately named Alfred, Alfie for short) that I have been considering turning into a muff. I only have a few reservations. Alfred is a full pelt which includes face, tail, paws and I hate to tear him apart like that. Also, in working in the flat pet shop that I worked in (we dealt in hides and full pelts from a variety of animals from rattlesnake to calf to bears), I would do custom pieces with the furs....and I just hate sewing the fur. You're right, it gets everywhere...and it floats around....and gets everywhere else too.

I also thought about doing just a fur lined muff and using a nice thick cream colored wool or silk(with maybe some embroidery) on the outside and edge with silk ribbon. I've seen fashion plates with things like this on it.

Banner.jpg

B) B) B)Don't be ridiculous ...why would anyone want silk ribbon on their muff??? A face or some paws I could understand and definitely some tail...

Very nice work Jack!!!

The equine has been flogged post mortum

OHHH ITS OK TO SHARE THEM TOO??? I LIKE SHARING BUT IF ITS MADE FOR MISS BRIG THEN HOW DOES IT FIT MR ROBERTS HAND BECAUSE IF ITS HERS THAN HE SHOULD ASK BEFORE HE GOES STICKING HIS HANDS IN IT HE COULD STRETCH IT ALL OUT WHY I WAS TELLING HAMISH ALL ABOUT WHATS YOURS IS YOURS AND WHERE IT BELONGS AT PIP THIS YEAR I'D HATE FOR HIM TO GROW UP AND GET IT ALL WRONG AND TRY TO PUT SOMETHING THATS HIS WHERE IT DOESNT BELONG ESPECIALLY IF IT BELONGS TO SOMEONE ELSE BUT IF ITS YOURS YOU CAN PLAY WITH IT THAT WAY IF IT BREAKS ITS YOUR FAULT. YOU SEE ITS LIKE THIS YOUR FINGER IS DESIGNED TO FIT IN YOUR NOSE, NOT YOUR FRIENDS SO I WAS TELLING HAMISH YOU CAN PICK YOUR FRIENDS AND YOU CAN PICK YOUR NOSE BUT YOU CANT PICK YOUR FRIENDS NOSE AND YOU CAN PICK YOUR FRIENDS AND PICK YOUR NOSE BUT YOU CANT WIPE YOUR FRIENDS ON THE COUCH AND YOU CAN PICK YOUR FRIENDS AND YOU CAN PICK YOUR NOSE BUT YOU CANT FLICK YOUR FRIENDS ACROSS THE ROOM AND I WAS THINKING THAT IT WAS A GOOD THING THAT MADDOGGE DIDN'T DIVE OFF THE BOAT WITH A MUFF WHY HE MAY HAVE LOST IT AND THEN I WOULD HAVE HAD TO GO DIVING FOR THAT TOO BUT WHAT IF MISS BRIG DIDNT WANT TO SHARE WITH MISTER JACK ITS HERS AFTER ALL AND SHE DOESNT HAVE TO SHARE I BET HE WOULD BE UPSET BUT ITS NICE WHEN SOMEONE SHARES SOMETHING THAT EVERY ONE WANTS WHY I BET THAT LADY THAT ALWAYS CHASES AFTER THE CAPTAIN WOULD SHARE HERS IF I ASKED SHES MY FRIEND

Edited by COUSIN ROBBIE

????? um mister callenish, what do you know that i dont? i thought that chickens gave the pox now your telling me someones muff has the pox???? how did that happen??? ohh i feel so sad people going around with sick muffs like that why it could start to wilt and wither and sag then dribble fur all over the place then it would'nt be any good to anyone

That's right little ROBBIE ....some people's muffs should never be touched! You don't know when the last time they were cleaned B)

B);)B)

And I'm sure ROBBIE you don't want the DREAD SURGEON MISSION coming after you with that "thing-a-ma-jig full of mercury to give you a course

Jack,

the post mortum beaten equine aside..... it is a lovely bit of handiwork. and if it is that cold in Fl to need said muff, try up here in PA a lovely 10 degrees and dropping.

but it is lovely, thanks for posting the pictures.

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Jack, your warm furry muff project has made me think i should do something with the beaver I have locked up in the storage shed for the past few years ....before it dries up and is useless B) I may have a few foxes locked up there as well ....mmmm better a good muff than let them go to rot & ruin

OMW

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Rabbit fur? Conies? Pretty cool. Is there evidence that sailors made these? (Just curious.)

And I think a fox muff with the head positioned such that it looked like it was swallowing your arm would be hilarious. Inaccurate, but hilarious.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Probably not sailors but the fine lady that it's going to could have bought it with this sailors money... oh wait Capt'n never pays us. B) So never mind.....

I was reading up on the usage of furs during the Colonial periods. Because the people had close contact with the Indians, fur was more readily available and cheaper. So I would deduce that even a common woman could have had some fur available for use.

As a side note. If you look at the first picture you can see were the fur was caught up in the threads. I've gone through and pulled that out. The seam isn't as visible now.

Kate..... You referenced fur lined muffs... I was looking for something like that for our period. If you have copies of plates you could email me that would be awsome!! I have 2 pelts of gray and 2 of white but they're not big enough to make the entire muff out of fur. A wool, fur lined muff would be an awesome way to use the rest.

Right neat idea there, Roberts. I think ye've started somethin'. I've several pelts m'self and been wondering what t' do with them. Now what did ye use for "stuffing" of the muff? Cotton batting? Wool? somethin' else?

And ye think ye all be cold?!? Tis been no more than 9 above here with windchils durin' th' day of below zero and at night MUCH colder - below zero with windchills around 26 below or more. Brrrr!!!!

Jack, if ye come t' Reenactor Fest... yo'r gonna need that warm weather gear! Guaranteed!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!