Sleeved Westkit

Jack Roberts

Well I've started to work on a wool sleeved waistcoat. For those times where I might need some extra warmth.

I figured I'd post my progress on here so everyone could enjoy.

Part of the reason for starting this thread,I wanted to show whats on the inside. The guts you never get to see. :blink: Here is the front inside out showing the pockets and interlining.

DSCN2761.JPG

DSCN2759.JPG

Now it's turned out and pressed waiting for buttonholes and prick stitching. I still have to finish the sleeves and sew pocket flaps.

DSCN2762.JPG

Close up the pocket.

DSCN2767.JPG

DSCN2768.JPG

DSCN2765.JPG

Edited by Jack Roberts

Nice work Mr. Roberts. I'm curious why the back is split so far up?

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Tis split up the back in order to be laced for adjusting to size... remember this is a waistcoat not an outer garment.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Aye...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the info Mr. Roberts and Capt. S.

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

and will the captain also provide the pattern to those who can pay for it?

my husband is drooling already and my machine wants to race!!!

and flat out, jealous-- i CAN do that--

just need a decent pattern!!!

question---

is this really sailors jacket just lengthened at the bottom......

and whe were french slit pockets from? Gaop? HOPE SO THEY ARE FUN AND EASY!!

captain-- may i have a pattern?

and how about a mantua pattern to... of course , the fees apply-- :)

This may be an obvious question, but do you sew eyelets for the lacing in the back?

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Thanks! The tip about using an awl is a good idea too. Wouldn't have thought of that. I'm basically brand new to sewing, but I'm trying to learn, piece by piece, in the very little spare time I have nowadays. Someday a period kit... someday... For now, my farby Hollywood duds will have to do.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

No worries Capt'n McCool. Tis exactly how I started down the dark path of PC garb.... ;)

Heck I still have me boots. :P Don't worry about the farby. If PC clothing is what your after, you'll get there eventually. It took me nearly 3 years to get there and I'm still working on it.

Edited by Jack Roberts

Mr. Roberts, any pics of the finished product?