Bring out your passementerie buttons......

Bos'n Cross

17363_252397062782_636997782_4396785_1616451_n.jpg

What cheer ladies and gents.........Now let us examine my first go at passemeterie buttons.........lets all just agree that the first two were not at all pretty....made quite a few mistakes with time, pulling too hard...too many "spines" etc. bbuuttttt...for some reason on number 3 my mind had a revolation and aaalllll became clear to me.............im quite happy with that last one lol.....one other thing i learned is that doing these makes me feel ill afterward. It may be that im concentrating on one little circle for so long....but even now after finishing it 10 minutes ago i feel queasy..........(anyone else had this problem ?? sterling? mike??) this DID'NT happen when i did all the dorsets so i find it strange.........oh well...ill just take a break and then focus on turning the fabric underneath them into a short weskit! Thanks for lookin...

17363_252397027782_636997782_4396783_2655556_n.jpg17363_252397007782_636997782_4396782_3387983_n.jpg

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Wow!

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

hmmmmm.. that is very concerning that you are dizzy after such focus.....

you look young when i see your photos---

have you recently had an inner ear infection? a cold? a sinus infection?

is there a history of high blood pressure in your family? at what age were the family members diagnosed?

are you possibly dehydrated? up too late last night?

new stresses in your olife as of late?

do you wear glasses/ contacts? when was the last eye examination you had? is it time for a prescription change?

i am not assuming the worst, but.... this bears investigation--unless you have recently had inner ear infection/ cold/ sinus issues.....

perhaps see if you can cause the same to happen again.. do another button--but at a different time of day-- see if you can have the same thing happen....

are you nearing your 40's ? perhaps it is timefor reading magnifying glasses...? { if you try a pair and get dizzy, it aint time}---

feel free to PM me.... ( been RN for 27 years}

lady constance

well-- to test your theory,you must now make 5 of these buttons in a glorious maroon for my pirate coat!!

or try something new like metal casting lacers for the coat!!!BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA!!

working for me i can gaaurentee accurate diagnosis and cure LOL!!!!!{rotflmao!!!!!!}

are yah thinking about the fort de chatres in illinois this june? or how about the sancta maria event in ohio?

now,i really have to getback to another set of stays i am working on...you lucky men who dont have to make them!!!{and farbic choice is killing me!! indecesion is killing this project!!!}

well-- to test your theory,you must now make 5 of these buttons in a glorious maroon for my pirate coat!!

or try something new like metal casting lacers for the coat!!!BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA!!

working for me i can gaaurentee accurate diagnosis and cure LOL!!!!!{rotflmao!!!!!!}

are yah thinking about the fort de chatres in illinois this june? or how about the sancta maria event in ohio?

now,i really have to getback to another set of stays i am working on...you lucky men who dont have to make them!!!{and farbic choice is killing me!! indecesion is killing this project!!!}

*Cough* stays....*COUGH*....sewing stays.....*dies*.............. Im very glad to be a man...and not have to make them...sooorryy llaaddiieess..........

As for the two events, i at least want to get out to the mid west for SOMETHING....mike would want santa maria...........and i would like to get a fir trade era kit(or finish soldiers coat) for fort de chatres....i rreeaallyyy want to go to pikes river or paynetowne though......

Thanks again for the medical suggestions..iv made a few more without sickness so im sure it was just the cold YYYAAAYYYYYY! <3.........i dont know it if can make anything for you though........im technically the property of Captain Sterling(brought fair and square for 40 bucks)........he'll beat me something awful if i makes stuff for others.......*looks round in fear*...........

-Israel Cross-

Crew of the Archangel

Oy! I be one Lady who don't wear th' stays as often as I am suppose to. I fancy th' attire ye gents wear! Often right comfortable when I need to be a bit more flexible. Granted, flexibility is somewhat sacrificed with stays but not completely. Well, unless yo'r Cheeky, Skittles an' some other ladies when "Shout!" is bein' played. Hehehe...

BTW, Constance... I decided t' use ticken an' muslin for my stays. Th' vast majority of th' time, no one will see m' stays and I need that extra support anyways since they will be lasting a LONG time (like a few years at least).

Now... question to th' lot of ye... does it have t' be JUST wood beads? What's 'bout wool fabric bunched in a ball? I'm just ponderin' now if I want t' use this type o' button on m' gold jacquard justaucorps.

Again, Cross... I'm right impressed with yo'r effort. Bravo.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

lady barbosa i dont see why that wwoouulldddnnt work.....though you do seem to neeedd a hole in zee middle, otherwise the choice of material seems inconsequential...... and thanks mr.roberts...funny enough i dont really like the style too much either BBUUTTT they were very popular at the time...so ill sacrifice..........ooohh the price we pay to be pc..........

-Israel Cross-

Crew of the Archangel

I only had about 5 wooden beads to try to make Passementerie buttons so I placed an order for a thousand beads ...the cheapest way I found to get what I need( a couple hundred between myself, Salty & Hamish) When they arrive I may have some to spare if folks would be interested... :P

well done, mr cross

they are a nice colour as well.

salty

i see the making of buttons in my near future

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

ah

fond memories of good times..... B) rotten flu.

but still good times, only six tries to get the hang of them B)

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

17363_252397007782_636997782_4396782_3387983_n.jpg

Nice fabric, Mr. Cross ~ JoAnn's? I think we may have the same ~ found yards of it in clearance late 2008 ~ you would think I would have done something with it by now.

Very nice job on the buttons!

Indeed lady diamond! I found mine in the same place on clearance......iv had it a half a year before figuring out what to do with it (short waistcoat in this case)....when i see good linen on sale i buy first...figure out later!

-Israel Cross-

Crew of the Archangel

Excellent work, Mr. Cross, excellent indeed! Just wondering what the diameter on these types of buttons are, generally speaking? :unsure:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 1 year later...

Ahoy! I had to resurrect this topic...

I'm thinking of making some of these buttons and curious to know if there is a recommended site still in operation that is a step by step guide on making these fine buttons.

Thank ye,

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 months later...

My daytime alias is working alterations and I've scored MASSES of old plastic shank'd coat buttons of various sizes from the '70s. They all look like they've been imprinted with a sort of woven design and colored to resemble a leather. I mean to cover them in just these sorts of ways! Thanks, Cross!!!

PS: If anybody wants some, PM me with a desired size and number, there's BOXES of these things at work!

If you're gonna swing, swing for the fences...if you're going after Jaws, bring along the tartar sauce.