What do you call the door at the back of the main deck?

Daniel

On tall ships in the movies, there's always a door at the back of the main deck, in the bulkhead that forms the break of the quarterdeck, that leads back either directly into the captain's cabin or into other compartments. What is the name for that door?

I know that doors are traditionally called "hatches" on ships, but calling the door at the back of the main deck the "aft hatch" would probably risk confusion with the cargo hatches cut into the deck itself.

Hatches are through a deck and companionways are through a bulkhead. Then the combinations and complications begin! For instance, access to the fo'c'sl in a vessel too small for a true Fore Castle, bulkhead and all, you would have a forward "scuttle". A raised hatchway with a sliding hatch cover and either doors or drop-in splash boards.

To get direct to the question, "The companionway to the Great Cabin or Capt.'s Cabin". Anything built upon the deck is called deck furniture. Each part, of course has a specific name yet there are overlaps and combinations. "The Lore of Ships" is an amazing book in that it covers all the different aspects of vessels, construction, propulsion armament and defence from log canoes to the USN Long Beach Nuclear Missle Cruiser!

Hatches are through a deck and companionways are through a bulkhead. Then the combinations and complications begin! For instance, access to the fo'c'sl in a vessel too small for a true Fore Castle, bulkhead and all, you would have a forward "scuttle". A raised hatchway with a sliding hatch cover and either doors or drop-in splash boards.

To get direct to the question, "The companionway to the Great Cabin or Capt.'s Cabin". Anything built upon the deck is called deck furniture. Each part, of course has a specific name yet there are overlaps and combinations. "The Lore of Ships" is an amazing book in that it covers all the different aspects of vessels, construction, propulsion armament and defence from log canoes to the USN Long Beach Nuclear Missle Cruiser!

Thank you for the tip. It seems I was confused. I thought the companionway was the ladder or stairway that led from one deck to another. What is the correct name for the ladder or stairway, then?

The Steps down the companionway would be the "Companionway Ladder". It's the passage itself for instance, on a smaller vessel where the aft bulkhead wouldn't be raised that much, the passage would be built up and have a sliding "hatch" on top. The hatch would give headroom to access the ladder below. Almost wish I knew how to draw on this 'pewter, here.

I keep getting the image of the sliding foc's'le doors on the opening credits of the origial Popeye Cartoons. They'd slide open and closed with each different group of names. I always tried to find my Dad's. He was an "inkman" and story writer for Fleischer Bros. from 1931 until about 35. Then he became a writer for "Duffy's Tavern" Radio Program. He was very funny.

He was an "inkman" and story writer for Fleischer Bros. from 1931 until about 35. Then he became a writer for "Duffy's Tavern" Radio Program. He was very funny.

"Hello, Duffy's Tavern, where the elite meet to eat. Archie the manager speakin'. Duffy ain't here — oh, hello, Duffy."

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

He was an "inkman" and story writer for Fleischer Bros. from 1931 until about 35. Then he became a writer for "Duffy's Tavern" Radio Program. He was very funny.

"Hello, Duffy's Tavern, where the elite meet to eat. Archie the manager speakin'. Duffy ain't here — oh, hello, Duffy."

He was working with Selma Diamond and she was putting the "hard moves" on him, Jess Openheimer offered him a job in Hollywood, cotracted to Jack Benny, He was on the "Silver Meteor" Streamline Steaming for California!! He worked there until WWII and went back to New Haven, CT. Matty, he was one hillarious individual!