Linstocks

Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

During my too-long break from classes I will be working on some cannon worms that several here were interested in, and the linstock to go with Callenish's set, but I cannot find a good example of one to fashion one from. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, as well as feedback on the worm the Archangel crewe has. What could be done better/different to make it a top-notch reproduction etc. Don't worry about slighting my feelings, I am an admitted amature continually learaning as I go.

Bo

REVIEW OF BO'S WORM for ARCHANGEL:

the fit was fabulous....i beleive we tweeked the tips (flared really)...so as to scrape the bottom of the barrel a tad more...and made the tips a bit more "pointy" or sharp...as to fascilitate grabbing the foil debris(which is generally a small disk).....with those small modifications...worked without fail...very happy with the result.

was wondering about a twist in the oppisite direction....as we would definately like a second (spare set)...for lost/stolen/and-or practice....

i personally like the ...clockwise twist...(with right shoulder against the barrel)...dang..i caint remember which way the twist is presently...worm not in front of me.... :blink:

otherwise HIGHLY recomend the worm

i believe we would also be interested in a DOUBLE Linstock...

thanks again

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

We use a two ended lintstock at the seventeenth century historic site I work at. I know the area that holds the slowmatch is in the shape of two wolf's heads. I can see if I can snag some pictures of it today if I can make it out to the magazine.

yours & co

CJ

Bear in mind that nautical linstocks tended to be both shorter and simpler than those for use on land. I've got some photos of some originals somewhere which I'll try and find, but in the meantime you should be able to see what I mean from this picture of a sea-gunner from 1692. (I cut the picture off in the middle of the linstock, but there should be enough to see what I mean.)

85757518.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Thank you all. I have a feeling those Naval ones look a lot like the old wooden shotgun cleaning rods I see all the time, with a simple brass loop brazed into a brass collar and staked onto the wooden rod. I even have one of those in my gun room somewhere.

I will be happy to make another worm for the Archangels too. This is my first attempt, and when I made the jig for bending, I forgot to consider I was working from the rear forward, so being naturally right-handed, I went clockwise from the rear, which of course becomes a left twist from the other end back. Now I know and will correct the rest of them. Who knows, maybe you'll recruit a left-handed gunner someday and you'll need the mistake I made. :blink:

Bo

Excellent! Can you give me some dimensions from the inside diameter of the coils holding the slow-match, and the diameter of the vent pick please? That's a nice rig, and probably beyond my present capabilities, but I can turn-out something that works and is not too offensive to view.

I'd still like to see some naval versions to try as well.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Here's a couple I've used...

As I was not taking pics of the linstocks, the quality of the images aren't the best...

P8050398a.jpg

P8050403a.jpg

P8050399a.jpg

P8140003a.jpg

The last is an early version, carved to sort of look like a dragon I believe...

Master Hawkyns would know best... and might be able to get better images...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

44578.jpgPalnik_DRG.jpgCVL229915022.jpgcma_19161786.jpg

Bo, they were often the gunner's last resort of defense if his emplacement was overrun so spiked or bladed like a pike, plain or fancy. The double arms were so in case one end went out they would have a back up to touch-off the gun.

Edited by callenish gunner

Very nice! Thaks for the history lesson as well! I have worked the big-guns in ACW (6 pdr.) but we don't have those tools of course, quite a different procedure indeed!

What is the diameter of the slow match though? If I do the coil as opposed to the clamp type, will 1/4" be too big, small, about right?

Thanks again!

Bo

Most commercially available match fuse is about 3/16th of an inch so clamp(slanted jaw grip) on the ends of the armature of the stock would need to open at about 1/4 -5/16ths of an inch and reduce down to less than 1/8th inch. If you look at the dragon's mouth in the photo you'll see what I'm trying to explain. The match will be held in place by friction and can be repositioned as needed easily.

44578.jpg

OK, lots of points. First, the spike on the top of the linstock is to provide a defensive weapon for the gunner. It would be too big to fit down the vent. Spikes were generally soft copper spikes that would be pounded into the vent until there was no head left, or the head was cut off, and then the rammer was sent down the bore hard to bend the spike under, thus making it impossible to pull out.

It depends where you get your match. The stuff that Dixie sells (worthless in my estimation) is thinner, 3/16 or so. What I get from Practical Goose is 3/8 or so, and is braided hemp. My Rev War unit uses a heavy match from twisted cotton cord that is near to 1/2 inch. Depends what you get and where you get it, but making the loops or apertures small will limit your choices. For naval linstocks, I prefer the type used on the Mary Rose, which have a V shaped slot which allows near any size to be used.

The direction of the tines on the worm depends on which side of the gun you are worming from. As long as when you are holding the worm with both hands cupped underneath and your thumbs NOT on top, it really doesn't matter. Most people find that that means the worm should turn with the tines pointing towards you. As you grip the worm and turn it your fingers rise and the heel of your hand drops.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 7 months later...

REVIEW OF BO'S WORM for ARCHANGEL:

the fit was fabulous....i beleive we tweeked the tips (flared really)...so as to scrape the bottom of the barrel a tad more...and made the tips a bit more "pointy" or sharp...as to fascilitate grabbing the foil debris(which is generally a small disk).....with those small modifications...worked without fail...very happy with the result.

was wondering about a twist in the oppisite direction....as we would definately like a second (spare set)...for lost/stolen/and-or practice....

i personally like the ...clockwise twist...(with right shoulder against the barrel)...dang..i caint remember which way the twist is presently...worm not in front of me.... :P

otherwise HIGHLY recomend the worm

i believe we would also be interested in a DOUBLE Linstock...

thanks again

I have the right-twist worm and double linstock head complete except for the ends that are holding the match, trying to decide a diameter as I decided to make them worm/coils. Do you want a spike on the ground end to stick it in the dirt or no? Do you want me to try to mount it to a stock or would you all rather finish it to your own specs? Anyhow, I think I'll try and make it to accept the braided cotton clothes line i have here and leve the metal soft enough it can be drilled out if needed. let me know what you want me to do as I am not the greatest wood-worker. I'll be checking back next week as classes begin on th 17th so I'll have regular access to the computers after that.

later...

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

• 2 months later...

Whoaaa callenish gunner ., awesome examples ., thats one thing I am lacking in terribly . I few nice linstock end pieces would really do me well to ship off to my armory. Its about the last thing I am really lacking in my collection. Awesome awesome ., good stuff Sir.~ Rich (HarborMaster)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"