credentials and such

Dutchman

so over time i've run across references that refer to people carrying credentials that say they are a property owner in such and such colony or a member of a parish or various other form of identification to keep them from being arrested as a run away indentured servant or other such inconveniences but i cannot find a written description or picture of one of these get out of jail free cards. anyone ever run across one of these various items?

That is a point of great debate in colonial circles. There are several acceptable items if you choose to go that way. A land grant is one, a reciept for goods, a military discharge, letter of introduction, and others. There are several folks doing extensive research and repoducing some very fine paperwork. I had a fellow do me a Spanish land grant in Missourah from 1789, and if I could post a picture I would. It is amazing! I took it down to the Corps of Engineers office to bug one of the mangers I know about getting my land claim back. He looked at it and thought it was an original at first! Then he noticed that the name was suspiciously close to my nickname (Capitan Bowe Derrousseau) and the claim is under water (Truman Lake). B)

I'll try to dig up some links to original documents from the other forums and post them here for you. If you want to know the contact info for the guy that did mine, I'll be glad to share it by PM. He does fantastic work.

Bo

I'd be interested in seeing that also, Dutch. It would be nice to have some form of period ID:

Name: Animal

Address: Back porch

Species: Undetermined

Description: Scruffy

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

William Brand carries several credentials in the form of Letters of Marque. He has one from the Spanish and another from the French. They are at once credentials, and at the same time, very damning documents. You might look into these and some occupational licenses. There are numerous examples of offical tavern licenses, writs of permission for millers, vendors and small business, and documents for the distribution of goods. Example:

License to sell drinks out of doors - 1707

"To the Honoured Court of the Quarter Sessions for the County of

Bristol Whereas Richard Hail junr of Swanzey desires of the Selectmen

that he may Retail Strong drink our of doors we judging him to be a man

of good Converstaion and well Quallified for such an undertaking

knowing there is no more Licenced to sell drink our of doors in this

town judg it Convenient and therefore we give our approbation if the

Honoured Court think fit to gran him his request" Signed by Joseph

MASON and William Anthony Selectman.

Swanzey/Swansey MA dated 1707

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Hmmm.... Very good question, Dutch. Love this inquiry.

I suppose best look about, shan't I?

Bo, I wonder if there be something of the sorts by the French about the territory between the Mississippi and the Missouri (aka Iowa)... and where ever else. :)

Again, fabulous question, Dutch.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!