Fort De Chartres - June 2010

William Brand

i'm sure that with the talents that may be coming, i would suspect that some kind of educational demo is easily attainable . maybe something like this would make us seem more credible among an event that is NOT for pirates...

we went as pirates just for fun, along with others that dressed for the event, though... we were accepted by all who was there to have a good time among friends... i'm sure that there may have been some that objected, yet nothing was noted...

in short, i don't see a problem...

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones that object are not honorable enough to do so where you can hear/see it, they do it on another forum and some of us here at the pub have defended the pyrate venue most honorably. QM James, Historyfanatic, and some others are well spoken and capable of making it known there are pyrate re-enactors that are just as dedicated to reseach and authenticity as any other genre. It is a good idea to present the pyrate camp as a viable historic and important part of history. IM(not-so-humble)O.

Bo

Fortunately for us (and I don't mind tooting our collaborative horn in saying this) we represent a good collection of well mannered folk, with good kit, a wide range of period knowledge, and the means to adapt to just about any festival conditions. Having met most of you in person and having talked to the rest of you in some electronic capacity, I think we'll be well received.

As for people who think of themselves as 'outside the crew', put that idea aside. I for one will gladly welcome any good sailor from another crew. In fact, I've already taken the liberty of inviting a few.

I'm going to begin listing out collective camp gear in the first post just as soon as I get the chance.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

As I understand it the Fort was initially built and partially inhabited by Caribbean piratesas part of the original group that occupied the FORT. I think it good to expand our neighborhood, educationally, socially, historically, and ecumenically........Sorry..........let us be who we are.....

William, I can contact the French Mariens of FDC, and the Malitia of St. Anne to see if they would like us to participate in any activity with them ?

Capt Bo and Silas........ any other thoughts or directions....?

....Pirate.....

Capt. J...

Yo Ho.......

capt. j, and bo have more knowledge of the fort and head haunchos, than i... i know of a few people that are usually involved with that, but that is all...

i kinda think, they'll go for a demo fight... pirates trying to take over and the regulars fighting us off... maybe later, say saturday evening, the regulars can go on a "pirate hunt", capturing said pirates who dare try to take over the event/fort, hold a mock trial and end with a hanging of our leader... regulars rule, pirates drool kinda thing...

the last scenario involves more expertise than i am capable of, but there are people out there that can pull off a successful hanging... just an idea to toss around....

heck, they can even parade us prisoners around the camp a bit, whipping a few, on the way to the "trial"...

oh, and william--- a few of us even have cannons !!

All I can add at this point is to stress to the Fort director that the pyrates will be there to shine, and set the bar for all others!!! B)

P.S. and it will depend entirely upon what Darrel is able to allow. It is a large encampment and not really room the way it is set-up to do a battle. The capture and trial is do-able though. And I am embarrassed to admit that I left out the Native American representations that are always present at the fort events.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

If I attend (really hoping I am able to), then I'll most likely be in the hunting/riding habit regalia. WITH functioning carbine. B) So, a "hunt" could be one possible idea. Amoung the usual piratey stuff.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hmmm.... that's usually the time most other events happen, too. Port Washington being one of them and sometimes Blackbeards.

Well, keep us informed, Bo. Sounds like this one is a great one and well worth it though.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

the last scenario involves more expertise than i am capable of, but there are people out there that can pull off a successful hanging... just an idea to toss around....

i apologise for butting in here....but i always feel obligated to mention the the safey standards of a succesfull hanging...

we have been doing "hangings" for 15 years now....and have seen other groups not take the same considerations while planning and excuting same scenario....and literally botch them up

tho the baisics are easy to accomplish....pleaase be aware of the following...

saftey...for the hangee as well as other participants as well as the audience...

no static line...line used for hanging MUST be abale to be controled and released immediatly

strong base for hanging...

audience pre-knowledge...is this for visitors or reenactors

and all important...a saftey discussion/disclaimer for the CHILDEREN after words so as to NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.....blahblahblah

tho personally i am a big fan of Hangings of all types....a bad hanging...or one that has gone ary...can ruin them for us all.....

oficially off the soap box.....please continue...again i apoliogise for the interuption

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Well said brother!

And as always... only a fool would be foolish enough to ignore advise!!

Maybe we should save time and effort and throw in to do a hanging ourselves??!!

i apologise for butting in here....but i always feel obligated to mention the the safey standards of a succesfull hanging...

we have been doing "hangings" for 15 years now....and have seen other groups not take the same considerations while planning and excuting same scenario....and literally botch them up

saftey...for the hangee as well as other participants as well as the audience...

no static line...line used for hanging MUST be abale to be controled and released immediatly

and all important...a saftey discussion/disclaimer for the CHILDEREN after words so as to NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.....blahblahblah

tho personally i am a big fan of Hangings of all types....a bad hanging...or one that has gone ary...can ruin them for us all.....

oficially off the soap box.....please continue...again i apoliogise for the interuption

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

like i said --- i am not capable.... others are....

from what i hear, a black cat o' nine tails dipped in red paint hides the red !!! especially when it's dark and lit by only lanterns...

actually transmission fluid does a wonderfully errie job for welts and blood seepage....and is not as hard on leather falls og whips or cats....and will show up just a tad darker brown on the lighter brown whips or cats....can also work on knotted up rope.....

oooopsy ;) ...did it again...sorry...slowly backin away.....eyes shut....mouth zipped ;)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Red corn syrup stage blood works well without the ill effects of the exposure of the victim to the petroleum based transmission fluid on deer skin flogger .....looks and sounds effective without the harshness of stiffer implements of punishment ....isn't the right Dutch?? don't ask Grace!!! :blink:

Edited by callenish gunner

Ya'll know I love to see this type of thing portrayed, as not all of history is pretty. That said, don't forget to check with Darrel to see if this will be practicable. He is in the same position as was Harry, and has to answer to his superiors (state of Illinois).

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

If you'll get me some numbers and lengths, I'll get the poles cut before the sap comes up. It has been very cold and now is the best time to avoid sticky wood later. I will not be able to attend, but will make sure to get them to Silas or delivered by some other means.

Bo

If you'll get me some numbers and lengths, I'll get the poles cut before the sap comes up. It has been very cold and now is the best time to avoid sticky wood later. I will not be able to attend, but will make sure to get them to Silas or delivered by some other means.

Bo

WTF ???? you have to go !! bo and i will work out the relay o' the poles...

Nope, cannot afford the time to go. these are really bad times for us, and it will be over a year before I finish school and get a job. No wiggle room at all in our budget. I am taking over hay operations for some of my elderly neighbors this season, which adds to my workload in preparation/maintenence as well. This will be the only way we will be able to afford hay for our animals next year, so all event/travel/fun is out for me this year.

I am cutting three sets of A-wedge poles, leaving them a bit long for final fitting, and some extra long ones for other uses. Hope this will be enough. I have some wall-tent poles left over from my old one that I sold without poles, and will send those along too.

Bo