Fort De Chartres - June 2010

William Brand

The Fort De Chartres Rendezvous at Prairie du Rocher, Illinois will be held in early June. The close proximity to Captain Bo, Captain J and the Thatcher family make this a worthwhile and practical event for the Mercury. In this thread I hope to discuss the where, how and when of it all, but I'd like to begin with camp kit.

For example, Tracy and I own an 8' x 7' x 9' wedge tent. I have a handful of plates, bowls, cups and a small mix of cooking gear. I own blankets, seabags, nautical instruments, and soon, a seachest. We also have a huge flag in the works.

I'd like to get an idea of what we have together by means of shelter, kit, furnishings and cooking gear. It also wouldn't hurt to know how many people can carpool to this event and with whom.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have a 10 x 12 wall tent, even larger fly, currently only one table, big lack of seating (cooler covered with canvas does for now, a cooking tripod, folding grill, dutch oven, a few cast iron pans, some forged utensils, a brazier, a 5 gallon drink container (cover it with canvas ), an unusual amount of wooden bowls in various sizes, a handful of pewter mugs- thanks lady b., some wool blankets-won't be needed that time of year,seabags in the works,as well as some crates, tables and seating...

i currently have my eye on an even larger wall tent and fly, but nothing is set in stone, yet...

and we'll be bringing along a ferret :)

Unfortunately June is a very busy month; First weekend is School of the Sailor in Deltaville, Virgina, second is Cook Forest,PA Battle of the Big Trees (F&I event) third is Custgaloga Town Fench & Indian encampment. We'll have to try another event later in the Summer or Autumn ;)

Let me know what I can do to help from here. I have lots of canvas and access to more if needed. One word of caution, the June event has had tornadoes come through camp at least twice in the past ten years, (I was there for both!) and water standing calf-deep on the traders green in front of the fort from deluge of rain. Be prepared for anything, seriously. Camping behind the fort or on the north side is better IMO than out on the green in front between all the traders. The north side is where the scurilous charcaters usually gather. I usually end up near the chickens for some reason, and that damn rooster of theirs thinks the sun rises at 3:00 a.m.! :(

Anyhow, let me know what you need to make this happen, would be good for my soul to meet as many of you as can make it.

Bo

Let me know what I can do to help from here. I have lots of canvas and access to more if needed. One word of caution, the June event has had tornadoes come through camp at least twice in the past ten years, (I was there for both!) and water standing calf-deep on the traders green in front of the fort from deluge of rain. Be prepared for anything, seriously. Camping behind the fort or on the north side is better IMO than out on the green in front between all the traders. The north side is where the scurilous charcaters usually gather. I usually end up near the chickens for some reason, and that damn rooster of theirs thinks the sun rises at 3:00 a.m.! :(

Anyhow, let me know what you need to make this happen, would be good for my soul to meet as many of you as can make it.

Bo

Well, in addition to the good information about bad weather, you could bring the cedar poles you've volunteered so many times before. That would make the shipping or packing of poles a great deal easier on many of us, and I would appreciate it greatly.

Speaking of wood...do we get to make campfires at the event or are we restricted to braziers? Can you provide wood for burning?

I will be happy to provide poles, just need an approximate number and some lentgths, and of course I'll pack extras.

As to fires, usually they allow fire pits, except in drought conditions which has generally not been a problem there, but Illinois is one of the states that has banned import of firewood from other states in order to combat the spread of invasive species of insects and other critters. There is usually good a supply provided for this event though. A water spigot is also located in the fort.

Bo

in november, there ended up being an ample supply of fire wood there for the taking... water spigots were provided in the field, but i only noticed one... no digging of holes for the fire pit, just build it on the ground...

there was a 15$ camping fee that rangers came around and collected, and gave a piece of orange yarn to tie up to the tent as proof of payment...

from what i gather, camping spots are first come, first served.... just drive around (only before or after the event) and pick a spot... but i don't think that holding a spot for a few campers is not allowed...

Thank you, both, for feeding us information from a local perspective. CaptJ has also agreed to feed us as much information as possible, so it's nice to have crew in the event's back yard. Tracy and I will probably drive out the event, so we'll need to plan a stopover in Denver along the way.

Silas is correct, they did not use to charge as much, but I'm sure you are all aware of the economic situation, and the Gov. Blago incident that hit Illinois parks very hard. I had forgotten they changed the ground fire rules a few years back. Also, the tornadoes were two in FIFTEEN years, not ten, so our odds are better! :( (Time flies the older we get!) If we can get a good count and organize the way you all did at PiP, we might be able to get a few folks there for early set-up with the camp plan, pay in advance of our expected arrivals and have the camp spots reserved. Between Silas and Capt J who live closer than I do, and my friends in the later period that frequent the fort, we can pull this off smoothly I am sure. Mary, you can do it!!!

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

So... what kind of event is this? General colonial? Pirate? F&I? Rendezvous? etc?

I may consider this event.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

It is pretty wide-open pre 1840 event. The biggest reperesentation is usually military, as they do the color ceremony and parades saturday and Sunday mornings. for all three nations, France, Englad, and American. There are lots of F&I, Rev-War, and frontier longhunters too. A smattering of mountainy man types, and somefreindly farbs, but everyone gets along great. The shopping will be grand. LOTS of vendors present usually, but take into consideration the current economic stress that may or may not improve by june.

One other item of note, they are very strict in not letting anyone drive in to pick-up camp after tear down before the established quit time. I will be sure to get that info ASAP. I will also make sure we have a way to pack-out anyone who needs to leave early.

Bo

Hmmm... I may consider this one above Port Washington (tough, since they still can't make a decision on many things yet).

Do let us know, Bo. :) Keep the lot of us informed.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I will be in contact with my FDC info resource tommorow or the next day to get more info.....I have primitive cooking grilles and utensils that I got at FDC that we all can use......the FDC web page has a lot of info on this event....it's really big.........River pirates????????

Capt

Yo Ho.......

Darrel Deusening (s.p.?) is the site director I believe, and I know him from another forum, and from making his acquaintence a few times, and he is a fine fellow. Perhaps we could get the Mercury crewe anchor person and him in direct contact with each other and see what can be worked out from that perspective too. Capt. J, do you know him?

Bo

Excellent news on all fronts, and I don't mind a small site fee. We are most definitely coming to this, so we'll be planning accordingly. My thanks in advance to those fielding calls. If you want me to speak to anyone at the fort at anytime, feel free to send them my email or any other contact information that you have. Meanwhile, the flag continues. Costuming continues. Nautical tools of the Mercury continue. We'll have a very well rounded camp in June.

Good News ! Darrel Duesining, Site Manager at FDC e-mailed me this morning confirming that there will be a 40th Rendezvous in 2010 at the Fort.

He indicated the planning for the event doesnt start till Jan. but he said to get back in contact with him after the first of the year when more info is available.

Fair Winds and a full bottle.

Capt. J...

River Pirates ?

Yo Ho.......

Why river pirates? There were European explorers in the area during the GAOP. Not a ton, no, but they were there. 'River pirates' makes me think of the early 19th century looters along the ohio and missippi, like Sam Mason or James Ford.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize this was in a crew-specific section. I wasn't trying to insert myself into your affairs.

Edited by Matty Bottles

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Actually, Matty has a good point. River pirates were a thing of the more late 18th and early 19th century... and all of my gear is either late 17th or early 18th century. And Matt, Crew or not, the input is welcome and was helpful!

I would think just doing GAoP would be easiest, although I could definitely pull out all the stops on a La Salle's voyage type impression. While I do plan on eventually putting together some later period nautical gear, I was hoping to use my existing gear for this one.

Michael_banner.jpg

I say you should do as you always do, you're all so good at it! ;) Besides, who wants to do all that "Mike-Fink/Davy Crockett king of the river" shtuff anyway! That's fer Disney! B)

If you are planning on doing educational presentations and the like, be sure to let Darrel know this, as these types of things are very welcome over the "I'm just here to camp and drink and raise-hell" participants.(there will be plenty of time and place for that too though ;) ). It will increase your "prestige" with the powers that be, and likely open more doors for opotunity as well. Keep me informed of your needs from this end, I'm really looking forward to this!

Bo