A Note of Appreciation

Spike

I have finally been able to sit down and get my thoughts together. This PIP/FTPF was certainly different for all of us. Harry Smid's memory lives on, but his presence was sorely missed. There were many things that caused this difference, a recessed economy, new Park Management, a larger encampment and many other factors. All in all, I believe we had another successful Event. There were no major problems that I saw and overall it was safe and sound. Of course, we had some issues we face each year, including scheduling problems and changes. However, I believe we have done a service to all and a good job presenting the Event.

I am proud of the work the Bone Island Buccaneers have done on behalf of the Event. We have worked hard on the FTPF for four years and are quite proud of the Florida State Park award that was won in 2007. I do appreciate all of the hard work, dedication, and time spent throughout the year by the BIB crewe. It is a lot of preparation, hard work, long hours and you have my personal thanks for your efforts. My hat's off to Nigel, Bawdy Be, Robin, Portside, Greg, Dave 1 and Dave 2 for their tireless work to keep this Event rolling along. Special thanks to Bawdy Be for the help keeping folks entertained with her haunting songs.

But the true thanks go to all of you. The re-enactors that attend, our long time supporters, family and the volunteers that worked hard on performing the logistical requirements we faced this year. I wish I could have spent more time with each and every one of you. It was difficult for me this year to get away for any free time to enjoy our friendships, stories and camaraderie. However, it was very fulfilling to see each of you no matter how brief the time. I look forward to seeing you again at other events on the circuit.

So please accept my personal gratitude in this forum. Special thanks to Haunting Lily for running the encampment and registration, fielding the issues that came up, and kept the volunteers up to date. You are an amazing woman, a great friend to us all, and dedicated to doing the hard work. Also thanks to Fayma for helping things along with the FOFT tasks and the dreaded "list". Your constant work to make the Events at the Fort better is appreciated by us all. A big Huzzah to Barnacle Beau, an ex-crewmate, whose velvet voice was heard around the event, singing shanties and bringing smiles to No Rum Charlies face. And a very large thank you, to a very large personality, M A d'Dogge. A toast and a huzzah to you sir, for your excellent battle scenario and sword fighting. And for your help with the black powder safety and operations, I take my hat off to you. And you kept our second "Make a Wish" recipient enthralled with your collection of fine arms and new cannon. I cannot thank you enough Not Nigel. Sorry my pet scorpions got loose this year. Thanks also to Diosa, Blue Eyed Scotty and Maria for your support and work in the encampment and beyond. Especially for that delicious swirl cut ham, the way to this pirates heart! And a personal thanks to Braze and Cascabel for their help and performance at the Event and the Tryal. Thanks also to Synky, well, just for being himself! A big huzzah again to Crudbeard and Bloodthirsty Barb for another excellent camp set-up and the expertise on the cannons. A worthy servant of both Crown and Pyrat, thank you both. A hearty thanks to Hugh Callenish for the hot showers, they appeared to be well used at camp. And to each of you that volunteered for duty, I cannot thank you enough. For you did the work, the sweat and the tasks that the Event needed to please our new Park management. You did an excellent job and fulfilled your duties with diligence. My humble gratitude to you all and my biggest thanks.

And a thank you to all the crewe and Captains of this Event. Captain Sterling and the Arch Angel crewe gave us our finest battle yet, the Mercury Crewe as well. Thanks to you both. And what a treat to have Pern, Dutch and Gracie from the Blackbeard crewe all together at the FTPF, thanks to you all for making the long trip down to Bone Island to be with us. Thanks also to those that set-up the Buccaneers camp, Patrick and Searle's Buccaneers and Manny. Also to Shay of the Keys and Commodore Swab, we thank you for your performance and participation. Thanks also to the crewe of the Pieces of Eight, Crewe of Two, Commodore Yellowbeard, Blackwolf and Luna, the "Fox" crewe of Beggar Ben, the Devil's Dozen nominees and all the independents who performed and entertained at this years Event. Our gratitude to all. And to our vendors, who brave a long trip to set-up our Thieves Bazaar, I thank you all and appreciate your long trip to Cayo Hueso. And to our media army of Paparazzi, our gracious thanks to Papa Ratzi, Mama Ratzi, Morgan and Johnny for capturing the memories of 2009. We look forward to seeing all those moments again to relive the event. A special thanks to Klaus at Pirate's Magazine, Mike and Jamaica Rose from No Quarter Given for setting up a booth and covering the Fort Taylor Pirate Festival in their excellent publications. Also thanks to Don Maitz, Sarah and First Mate Matt for their attendance and Matt's demonstrations at our Forge. A big huzzah to the All Woman Cannon Crewe, great poses on those new cannon you fired. And to anyone I may not have mentioned, I appreciate everything you have done for our Event.

We have our annual wrap-up meeting with the FOFT and the Park Management tomorrow. This should begin an ongoing dialog on how we can improve the Event in the future and examine some of the shortfalls of this year. I would also welcome any suggestions from our Friends and Family on their experience, advice, comments, complaints or support. Please feel free to email at spikekeywest@yahoo.com as I would like this dialog to take place in private. I will also be posting here throughout the year to discuss some of the suggestions and comments so that we can all review possible changes for the future. There are great ideas out there and we surely want to hear from everyone about improving the Event. That has been our goal and will continue to be our focus in the future.

Fair Winds and Followin Seas,

Captain Bloody Spike Pierce

Bone Island Buccaneers

Spike we all thank you and yours for putting on a great event. I loved you before this event but the deal was sealed during the event. I am glad I got the time to hang with you. I had an absolute blast and I have yet to have the time to sit down and write my thank you post. I think I speak for all at Pirates Magazine by saying we are more then proud to have you aboard with us and thank you so much for you hospitality during the event. If you ever need anything from me or mine...you be sure to give me a buzz!

As for PIP 2010...Watch out! It's going to be a great one!

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I've sent some notes to some folks but I like the idea of this link getting out to more folks that I shared this wonderful experience with. Usually I get so excited on raids or boardings that I get all crazy and burn first! There I am, watching whatever prize I may have hoped for going up (or down) in flames as I realize what I'd done. With the guidance and direction of such great leaders, masters of arms and tacticians such as Capt. Sterling, Master d'Dogge, Spike, Bahama Braze and the others whos names I know not, all Battle direction was by cooler heads. They pointed, I shot! No going mad and running amuck. Shooting, looting, ravishing, poaching, creating mayhem and generally acting out of sorts. Nay! This time there was a bit less insanity.

Fayma, Spike and the Bone Island Crew and the local folks that tirerlessly worked to put this together. You must have done it all right because it was sure allright by me. Tony. The photos, well, we all know they're great. I was just glad to see you again. We made a connection at Blackbeard and there's nothing like running into an "old friend" that you met once! The Vendors. When I first entered the Fort i said, "Oh Boy! The Mall!" Some real fine folks with some awesome products. I was looking forward to meeting Greg so I could jam with him. That we did and I was not disapointed. "Mr. Hawkins" and I were practcally neighbors in Connecticut many years ago.

Haunting Lily. From before I got on the road from NC you were getting things squared away for me and I'll not forget your kindness. Watching you stay on top of the camp's daily goings on as well as individual needs, well, you could have used an extra pair of hands but, you did it. Thank You!!

I'd like to thank everyone, individually, by name but I can't. The memory in some case and some folks, we just exchanged a smile. I want to thank you all for sharing this great time with me. Next PiP I'll make it a point to learn more names.

To all you beautiful young women that kept putting the moves on me, "sorry loves, it just wouldn't work out between us."

In Graditude, Dutch, "X", his mark

Thank you Spike for all of your hard work. I had a great time this year, and will most assuredly be there next year. Keep up the good work but remember that all work and no play makes a dull spike. I'll always have a tankard to fill for you.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Man, the farther out from year's PiP, the more I miss all the great folks that I meet! And then seeing so many of you on the pub just reminds me how geographically diverse we are. I don't know when I'll see all of of you at a another event, but let me tell you it was a real pleasure to get to know you, and I hope you have a great holiday, however you celebrate!

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum