So we're talking May 14,15 and 16 2010???

Rats

Oi!

I know I promased last year and couldn't make it... So a promase is a promase!!

I'll be there in May to make good on me word!!!

Get ready for madness and photo ops!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Columbus, Ohio on the Santa Maria replica, which is located downtown. Michael talks about the plans for this edition of the event in this thread, but it's locked.

I always go to these events so long as there's no schedule conflict. So I should be there.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

This thread is as good as any to discuss and help plan the event for those interested!

The thread Mission linked to locked as a "Just the facts" kind of thing, so there is a easy solid reference for information. I can and will update the "Just the facts" thread as needed.

There is a Facebook page for the event, but I would prefer to keep that mostly for the spectators, and keep more re-enactor conversations on the pub or otherwise in relative private. Last September there was some confusion from a spectator regarding the Facebook page, because it came off too much as a re-enactor page when it is supposed to be for both spectators and general info for re-enactors.

There is also the Event Web Page, and pay special note to the Participants Section of that web site, as that will also be where I post specific information for re-enactors for ease of reference.

I'm kind of excited, this is looking to be the best one yet, we have over a dozen that seem pretty committed to this event and it is still months out, and a ton more folks that seem very interested that time will tell if they make it or not. I would wager this will be the Santa Maria event where we beat the 40 pirate mark that I have been aiming for! :D

Michael_banner.jpg

I won't be able to make it, and I expect this will continue to be the case until I change professions ~ Spring is simply too busy in the green industry.

Have fun!

We'll have another Santa Maria event in September (Talk Like a Pirate Day weekend).

Mark

this was sooooooooooooooo much fun!

Michael----- the thatchers will be there!! as many of us as possible!!{ that means at LEAST 5 of us!!}

let the sewing begin!!!![hint: send mantua pattern size 4/6-- i suppose i can send cash first!!}

thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!--- we can ask for the time off NOW so we can be assured of being able to be there!!

Just want to clarify the dates as I cannot get on my facebook account at work... thanks

Oh and while we're at it... earliest arrival time and latest break down time... thanks

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Just want to clarify the dates as I cannot get on my facebook account at work... thanks

Oh and while we're at it... earliest arrival time and latest break down time... thanks

Last time we were welcome to be there after the ship closed for business Friday evening at 6:00 PM. Although, if anyone needed to show up earlier (because of travel time or whatever), I am fairly certain they could be accommodated in some fashion. The ship closes on Sunday at 5:00 PM, but generally we have been there tidying up after ourselves until around 6:00 PM, although I would imagine this time is flexible. And again, if someone's travel schedule required it, I am certain we could accommodate them somehow. In the past there have been a handful of participants that have arrived Thursday and stayed with the wife and I and departed Monday (mostly due to flight times or long drives). With us having the new condo, accommodating a handful or so folks in this manner has just gotten easier for us (as long as said person is not allergic or adverse to cats, we have three of them).

The dates for the actual event are May 15th and 16th, but again we have access to the ship as of Friday May 14th (in the evening). At the moment, these dates are tentative, but I see little chance of them changing. The ship's annual volunteer party/meeting is in early January, the dates will likely be firmed up at that time. There is also a strong possibility of an off-ship "field trip" for a cross-promotional excursion Friday evening, but the details on that are at this time very sketchy.

And Connie, while Salty and Callenish will likely speak for themselves, I think they said they intend to be there with the tyke.

Michael_banner.jpg

Thanks!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I won't be able to make it, and I expect this will continue to be the case until I change professions ~ Spring is simply too busy in the green industry.

Have fun!

We'll have another Santa Maria event in September (Talk Like a Pirate Day weekend).

Mark

Thank you for the update ~ I will keep an eye out for it.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Cool...can I bring my new hubby?

I can think of no immediate reason why not? As long as everyone coming is going to play nice and be civil, and try to look their piratey best (or late 17th century/early 18th century best), and we have a decent idea of how many are coming, it's a open event.

Michael_banner.jpg

He knows if you've been bad or good... So be good for goodness sake....Oh!!!!

You better not hit! You better not bite! You better not spit, I'm telling you why!!

Santa Rats is comming......to town!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

mark and michael,

i know i may be speaking for a few others as well, is there any chance a cleaning of the johnny on saturday could be arranged ?? between visitors and pirates using the facility, by saturday afternoon, things are, well.... less than desired to put it nicely :)

by sunday, any visitors are treated to an over used facility...

mark and michael,

i know i may be speaking for a few others as well, is there any chance a cleaning of the johnny on saturday could be arranged ?? between visitors and pirates using the facility, by saturday afternoon, things are, well.... less than desired to put it nicely :)

by sunday, any visitors are treated to an over used facility...

We can ask Linda, the director of the ship.

Mark

Hmmm... :::Looks at the calender::: will have to put those dates down. I shan't know if I am able to attend until late March or early April. But, I'm crossin' m' fingers, swords, pistols... legs.... hopin' I can make it. After all, really bummed me out last May... :::whimpers:::

Just keep us informed of sleeping arrangements, food, events, etc. ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

how much does the ship cost to rent for a party? so we never have to leave the thing? { gee, why do i find it easier to ask here than call the brochure i have?}

i seriously think we should find a place to rendezvous for a weekend!!!

anyone got lake property?-- just take over places nicely---

and-- YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! CALLENISH AND SALTY AND HAMISH ARE COMING!!! AND MISSION! AND DAN! AND GINNY AND MARK! AND MICHAEL AND JESSICA!!!-- and everyone else i get to meet and yak with!!!

this makes me soooooooo delighted and thrilled!!

thanks for the christmas present guys!!!

how much does the ship cost to rent for a party? so we never have to leave the thing? { gee, why do i find it easier to ask here than call the brochure i have?}

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the rental on the ship is in the $200 to $300 per hour range (I asked Linda this question once, it is a shame I didn't commit the answer to memory), and we would likely have to book for at least 3 or 4 hours to prevent another booking... And since one of the main underlying reasons we do these events is to raise money for the ship, it almost seems counter productive... But then again, the money for a rental would be going to the ship anyways. ;)

I dunno, I just think that in order to guarantee there are no double bookings, the easiest solution would be to charge the re-enactors for attending... And to me, there is just something very wrong in charging volunteers money who have traveled (for some a great distance) and put a great deal of time and effort into helping out. I think it would be better to just test our luck, after all, last May there was nothing booked. In fact, out of the 4 events we have run so far on the ship, this past September's wedding was the first "interruption" in our having the ship for the entire weekend. :D

Not to mention, that the only time there was a booking, it caused me to look for an alternative outing. While there were some small hiccups in that outing (no food at the place I found), it turned into a really good fund raiser. So I am kind of seeing things as adversity creates interesting opportunities. :D

Edit: Since this is not worth another post, I will also mention here that I have added a MySpace Page for this event for them that prefer MySpace to Facebook (or those who just wanna be on both like me :lol: )

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

As an FYI for those considering coming to this one, and staying in a hotel (rather than camping out on the ship)...

An attendee called me yesterday informing me that he scored an incredible deal on a downtown hotel (about a 15+/- minute walk to the ship). He booked the hotel through Priceline.com and got a hotel that is usually over $100 per night for around $50 per night (I think he mentioned the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown, Capital Square). Now I want to say here, that Priceline is a negotiation web site, so others attempting this might not get as good of a deal... But for those who wish to try, it might work and get you a much better deal on a room.

Michael_banner.jpg