The Buccaneer Camp 2010

Animal

Ok, this is where we can start planning and tossing around ideas for next years Buccaneer Encampment. Let's start with what went right and wrong in 2009. We can fix and improve for 2010. I have every intention of being there next year, one way or the other. Let's hear from those who were there last year.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Basically we have three slightly different interpretations of the Buccaneer Era…

Citizens of Port Royal (the Cat and the Fiddle)

The Military (Searle’s Raid)

And Buccaneers as Hunters (Shay and myself)

I think these three views work, and we can build from them.

Throwing out some ideas…

I wonder if in ROLE CALL 2010 we could sign-up for the Buccaneer Camp as Sub-groups?

BUCCANEER CAMP

Port Royal

...Name

...Name

Military

Searles Buccaneers (or sub-groups for a specific group's name, like this...)

.........name

.........name

.........name

...Name

...Name

Hunters

...Name

...Name

If we set-up the camps around a centrally located fire pit. So the camps would have a focal point for socialization

If we could set-up a Tavern…. Sorta like the Silkie’s Hide was in 2008. I might be able to make a large sail/awning for it, but I’d need to ship it to the Fort or to someone that is driving down, and someone would have to provide the poles for it… But we can discuss this in later post.

Can we set a date for the Buccaneer Camp? 1669, 1670… So we have a specific time to work from. I propose 1669 because it is close enough to Searle’s Raid, and the Sack of Panama. Kind of the height of the Buccaneer Era….

I want to make some signs that tell some of the History and Background of the period that can be hung around the camps… Give the guests something to read, and let them know what we are doing. And a larger one for the Camp…. “1669 Buccaneer Camp” (see that’s one of the reasons I would like a specific date for the camp… :unsure: )

Ok, a couple quick mentions...

First the Cat and Fiddle is not going to be at PIP next year. Those are Hurricane's and he will not be at the event.

With that said, I have a baker's lean-to with a 10" fly already attached that can be the start of the 'gathering area. I also will be driving down, so if you make the awning I can get it there. I can probably fit it with poles if you give me enough advance notice.

When it comes to choosing a category, to be honest, it depends on the day as to whether I look more like a buccaneer or like a citizen of Port Royal, so I don't know if I would fit in either category. I also plan on toying with the possibility of a male, militaristic character this year, so heck, I may fit in all three categories!!!

Meanwhile, if you guys really do want to do a Buccaneer camp, are we going to do boucan this year? There was a show on recently of a man who still does it, the old fashioned way, in Jamaica and I can get the detailed step by step process from the show if you want it. But it's an all day deal.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

First the Cat and Fiddle is not going to be at PIP next year.

OK... I wasn't sure what the status was on that....But it doesn't mean that we can't have a Port Royal Tavern...

I like the idea, but it wouldn't be fair to tell someone else that they had to set it up, so I figgure if we all work on parts of it we could have something really cool...

The largest problem that I can see is how to get everything there, and where do we store it? I portray a Hunter...well because I fly to PiP, and can only carry so much... so storage and transportation of a lot of stuff presents a slight problem...but Hey...we have a year to figgure that out... :unsure:

Meanwhile, if you guys really do want to do a Buccaneer camp, are we going to do boucan this year?

That would be cool, how many others would want to do it?

Im alot more prepaired after this year as to what to expect....also, this will be after searls raid..so ill have more earlier era kit! Heck..i actually had my 1760s kit with me....and wore it quite a few times lol.......but i wasnt quite camped over with you guys ....... I vote for the boucan also.........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

I think if we can get the ok from the management, a boucan would be a great idea. Michelle, could you sent me the link to the info? I think separating portrayals but keeping the group as a whole together is a good idea. I also am a hunter and that is what I am working towards. I am also doing some research into the hunters around the time of Colonial Jamestown and Williamsberg. Anyone have any shots of the camp from 2009 or are the ones posted elsewhere it?

Animal

Edited by Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I really like Pat's idea about the signs. Send me the info you would like for them to read, and I can build them as wooden sidewalk signs to resemble old tavern signs with interesting facts for the public. Plus next year I plan on driving down and I can bring them along. I have a few tavern signs I've made this year at work, and just finished one for my backyard called the "Tiderunner Tavern". I would be glad to bring it along and create a hang-out-spot where we can serve BBQ and Brew for the Buccaneers and all the pirates at PiP.

How can we pit a pig in the coral at Key West? Do we cheat and bring a smoker?

Edited by Master Sully

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

How can we pit a pig in the coral at Key West? Do we cheat and bring a smoker?

You might need special approval for a pit being used in that fashion. They were pretty specific on what we could use and not use last year. Braziers were allowed but I'm not sure about a smoker either. I'll add that to the list of questions and get an answer asap for you.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/