Mercury Crew at Searle's Raid

michaelsbagley

As a complete side-track.... If Sergeant Johnson approves, and those attending agree... I think there are enough Mercury Crew enthusiasts attending that we may be able to have a small Mercury Crew gathering at the Searle's Raid of St. Augustine this coming March. I know most we are all welcome there either way, it is just a case of whether we all go as individual guest members of the Searle's Crew or whether we set up ourselves at the event as Mercury.

In case he doesn't pop on the pub, he's sometimes slow about these things, I can give him a call and report back. If he says no, I will be up there and can selflessly throw my body on the ground and block any other tents from going down til you arrive! Too much? Perhaps... maybe i'll just whine a lot...that works too.

OK, talked to Sgt Johnson. He said Do it! We just need to get a tally of how many of us there will be and general tent footprints and he will take care of the rest.

Well since we have the go-ahead... I guess this event should warrant it's own topic.

So far it looks like the below people are interested....

Edit: And just so the information is handy, this event runs Friday March 5th and Saturday March 6th, although some hang out longer on the Sunday as well, and last year we were allowed to set up Thursday night (although that may not be the case this year).

Diosa De Cancion (Goddess In The Bodice, which suddenly seems miraculously changes to Diosa De Cancion)

Mickey Souris (michaelsbagley) {it looks like I may be flying this one solo)

Callenish Gunner

Salty Pots (and wee Hamish?)

Dana/Ivan Henry (Mooseworth)

Elizabeth Farnsworth (that is Kelly with a "K"!)

Jack Roberts

Brig and the other "wee one"

Red Jessi (almost forgot her, oooops)

Israel Cross

Hopefuls (but not sure)

Animal

Patrick Hand

Rats

Thomas A. (a friend of mine from here in Columbus)

Any others?

Michael_banner.jpg

March 5-7: Searle's Raid, Matanzas Living History Day Firing

This annual event commemorates the bloody pirate raid led by Robert Searle (AKA John Davis) against the city and inhabitants of St. Augustine in 1668. Encampment setup for participants will take place on Friday afternoon, March 5. During the day on Saturday, March 6, 17th century weapons, clothing, equipment, camp life and cuisine will be shown and demonstrated to and for the general public, and rehearsals and drills of opposing forces will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; the freebooters and the city's Spanish defenders will join in battle in St. Augustine's downtown historic district beginning at 5:00 in the afternoon. The encampment will be taken down on Sunday, March 7. Additional details will be provided as the event nears.

March 5-7: Searle's Raid, Matanzas Living History Day Firing

This annual event commemorates the bloody pirate raid led by Robert Searle (AKA John Davis) against the city and inhabitants of St. Augustine in 1668. Encampment setup for participants will take place on Friday afternoon, March 5. During the day on Saturday, March 6, 17th century weapons, clothing, equipment, camp life and cuisine will be shown and demonstrated to and for the general public, and rehearsals and drills of opposing forces will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; the freebooters and the city's Spanish defenders will join in battle in St. Augustine's downtown historic district beginning at 5:00 in the afternoon. The encampment will be taken down on Sunday, March 7. Additional details will be provided as the event nears.

Thanks for the info Willie Wobble. The camp will be open to set up on Thursday March 4th. At this time this is a 95% certainty. I will be sending out warning orders in the next couple of weeks. These will include more info on the event. If you have any questions in the mean time please feel free to call 904-534-6168. Looking forward to seeing all of you again.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

I doubt I can make this one... but I will put in the request and see if I get lucky. I think it'll come down to a choice between the time for PIP and the time for the raid...

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I too would like to make this. It all depends on if I have employment and can get the time off. Since it's a weekend, that might make it easier. I'll know more later.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Michael!

I'm in!

Gotta get "my sewing guy" on some correct clothing. So, what is correct for a 1660s era pirate? I know the breeches were puffier with ties, but what about the top half? Had doublets went out of style, were they in style for pirates of the time?

01060043.jpg

This would be an idea of what they would have been wearing.

YMH&OS,

Kathryn

Hey Dana/Mooseworth/Ivan (we gotta do something about your logon ID),

The picture Mrs. (Ms.?) Ramsey posted above is a pretty good example of some of the styles... Now going from what folks did there last year (and getting away from a strict academic take on what to wear)....

Last year there was a mix of earlier 17th century English Civil War (or just post ECW) doublet style coats (sleeved) and some early Justacorps (like the ochre coloured outfit I wore to PiP this year, and to Searle's last year). Because the 1660 seem to be the transitional decade from the shorter doublet style to the hardly flared justacorps, bit kind of work... It's a matter of what you prefer. The main thing is avoid the thrice cocked hats (tricorns). If you want a bend in your hat, keep it to one bend. :D

Michael!

I'm in!

Gotta get "my sewing guy" on some correct clothing. So, what is correct for a 1660s era pirate? I know the breeches were puffier with ties, but what about the top half? Had doublets went out of style, were they in style for pirates of the time?

Michael_banner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all! If time and money permit, I'm hoping to have some dutch slops, a ECW style jacket and I'm hoping to make some boot hose - yes, me sewing something!

BTW - Searle's Buccaneers has a new site. www.searles-buccaneers.com - I felt bad for them not having a site anymore, had some free time, and whipped it up for them. Check it out! Michael even makes a cameo!

Can't wait for the event!

Edited by Mooseworth

ihtcbanner.jpg

Thanks all! If time and money permit, I'm hoping to have some dutch slops, a ECW style jacket and I'm hoping to make some boot hose - yes, me sewing something!

BTW - Searle's Buccaneers has a new site. www.searles-buccaneers.com - I felt bad for them not having a site anymore, had some free time, and whipped it up for them. Check it out! Michael even makes a cameo!

What can I say...Moose is the MAN! Thanks for all the work on the new site. The event is shaping up to be the biggest and best yet. Keep putting the word out.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

The web site looks awesome!!! Nice work! But cameo? I'm in almost a quarter of the pictures! I must be slipping.... Maybe I need to get some pointers from M.A.d'Dogge... :blink:

But I am soooo stoked for this event. Been working on a new 1660s style gown for the wife, and once done that, if I have some time, I have some ideas for a few accessories for me!

Michael_banner.jpg

Great work Mooseworth! I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me come all the way to FL for my birthday.

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

This may be a little late in the coming... But a friend emailed me the below link yesterday. I have seen this before (it surfaces occasionally on this forum and the Brethren Forum), but it reminded me that it would be a good reference for general appearances for the Searle's Raid event. There are a lot of good woodcut plate images in there, my print edition has most of the images, but it seems some of the images were omitted from my copy, and other copies I have seen... So it is well worth looking at even if you have a good hard copy of the book.

Buccaneers of American, 1678 edition (in the original Dutch)

Michael_banner.jpg