Atuona, Hiva Oa, Marquesas French Polynesia

capn'rob

Although our landfall was at Nuka Hiva, Hiva Oa was the major port in the Marquesas. We cleared customs at Nuka Hiva and the Government seat is still there, the only reason we made landfall there was "used Pilot books"! We spent a little time in Nuka Hiva then left, bound for Ua Huka, best known for their carvings in wood. Once we were on course for some hours we encountered a "Willi-wah". A variable in the trade winds that gets funneled between islands and the venturi effect increases the velocity greatly. The direction waqs directly on our course so, change plans! After a quite uncomfortable night we made for Tauata, a small island off the major port of Atuona. We decided to anchor there and catch our breath. We were the first yacht to visit there in many years since the main port's so close. This place was awesome in the sense this word is intended. After a few days we left for Atuona Village. There we found the main anchorage, the "town" and a few stores. Just outside the town, in the cemetary is the grave of the Impressionist, Paul Guaguin. Just inside the harbors mouth is Typee Valley. Home to Herman Melville for a year after he and a friend jumped from the Whaler "Acushnet". I am so glad I took the opportunity to go when I did. We were 28 days from Panama to the Marquesas and 18 days to Hawaii. That be a tale of another day.