My new toy

Cuisto Mako

I got my "Portuguese" baroque guitar yesterday.

I bougth a bout a year ago an old viola da terra (small tradittionnal portuguese guitar) It was probably from the 1930s but it was not in very good shape. I knew that the size of the instrument would make a nice baroque guitar so I removed the damaged table and finger board and brougth it to my luthier. about 13 month later, here it is:

guitarebaroque001.jpg

It also features a dual passive transducer connected to a 1/8 mini jack nicely inserted in a water buffalo horn endpin.

guitarebaroque006.jpg

The pegs are actually 4:1 planetary pegs that imitate the look of traditionnal wooden pegs but with the versatility of modern guitar tuners.

guitarebaroque004.jpg

I'm very happy with the result. It has cost me half the price of new baroque guitar and half the waiting time. Now I just need to find myself a teacher :)

Edited by Cuisto Mako

Very pretty.

Not too long ago, while at the newly refurbished American History Museum downtown (in DC), I took a bunch of pictures of period musical instruments. I was particularly enamored of the 1690s guitar, which had a very ornate... whatever you call that hole-thing in the middle of the guitar. It sort of reminds me of the one you've got here.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

You call it a soundhole. (Sounds sort of naughty, doesn't it?)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

If you're ever in Brussels, check out the Musical Instruments Museum. They've got hundreds of musical instruments from all over the world, including ones I've never even heard of and several that have fallen out of use. You walk through it wearing headphones and as you get close to each display, a sample of the music that particular instrument or group of instruments produces will play.

Musical Instruments Museum

RHJMap.jpg