Muster of the Mercury

William Brand

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I be a tad bit confused. In th' original post, me wife an' I are on th' roster.

On th' second page, in two subsequent posts, we are not. Does this mean we aren't members?

That'd be Bloody Sam Rckham and Calico Ann Rackham from Cartersville, GA

'Til the Morrow,
Cap'n Bloody Sam Rackham
Captain o' The Cursed Few
Co Organizer o' The Southern Pirate Festival
Ship's Carpenter o' The Atlanta Pirates & Wenches Guild

Member of Order of Leviathan 2nd Generation

The second page contains re-quotes of the original post that were done before you signed up, so you can ignore them. (They're like snapshots of your last birthday party - frozen in time. Why people do this with posts is a bit puzzling to me, but they do and it's not polite to just delete them.)

The only post that counts in threads like this is the very first one.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Aye - ya best be adding Peter Chaaps to the articles, I grew wings ov'r the summer.

If'n there be a central event the crew can agree on - count me in. I love to get out o the desert in the summertime (hint).

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

"It's such a pretty boat... ship."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

So where is the Mercury located? I am a bit fuzzy.....(no hygiene references please!) I am near St. Louis and am looking to have a bit more fun "privateering" as opposed to the staged re-enactment stuff I have been doing....Thanks!

Wes

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

So where is the Mercury located? I am a bit fuzzy.....(no hygiene references please!) I am near St. Louis and am looking to have a bit more fun "privateering" as opposed to the staged re-enactment stuff I have been doing....Thanks!

Wes

Well, that's almost a philosophical question. It would be more accurately stated that the Mercury isn't located. I own the excellent drawings of the Mercury (as created by William Brand aka Red Wake), but that's about as much of it as there it outside of imagination.

As far as group location goes, we tend to be spread out all over the US. Many of us are from the midwest, but there are some on the East and West coasts and points in-between as well. The crew (AFAIK) was really begun at Pirates in Paradise 2007 in Key West by William. If I had to write a description of the aim of this crew (and this is just me, not official or anything), I'd say it is to help people develop their period accurate character persona, clothing, camping and so forth in a friendly, non-imposing way, while also having a good time together at period events.

All the members are quite free and open with their information and idea exchange from my experience. This crew is nothing like formal as far as participation goes; you can choose what events and sorts of re-enactment opportunities at those events you wish to participate in. Although I've noticed that the staged mini-things are often kind of fun to do; things like battles and sketch scenarios help make for a more interesting event.

I'd say where two or three Mercury crew members are gathered at an event, there the Mercury be.

More to point with regard to you question, Mercury crew member Silas Thatcher is based out of St. Louis. You might get in touch with him to find out which events he attends to get an idea what is going on near you.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Wes

Well, that's almost a philosophical question. It would be more accurately stated that the Mercury isn't located. I own the excellent drawings of the Mercury (as created by William Brand aka Red Wake), but that's about as much of it as there it outside of imagination.

As far as group location goes, we tend to be spread out all over the US. Many of us are from the midwest, but there are some on the East and West coasts and points in-between as well. The crew (AFAIK) was really begun at Pirates in Paradise 2007 in Key West by William. If I had to write a description of the aim of this crew (and this is just me, not official or anything), I'd say it is to help people develop their period accurate character persona, clothing, camping and so forth in a friendly, non-imposing way, while also having a good time together at period events.

All the members are quite free and open with their information and idea exchange from my experience. This crew is nothing like formal as far as participation goes; you can choose what events and sorts of re-enactment opportunities at those events you wish to participate in. Although I've noticed that the staged mini-things are often kind of fun to do; things like battles and sketch scenarios help make for a more interesting event.

I'd say where two or three Mercury crew members are gathered at an event, there the Mercury be.

More to point with regard to you question, Mercury crew member Silas Thatcher is based out of St. Louis. You might get in touch with him to find out which events he attends to get an idea what is going on near you.

Mission did an excellent job of describing the mood and intentions of the Mercury crew. However, I must concede that it was not my idea, but rather the collective wish of many pirates who attended the Fort Taylor Pirate Fest at the Pirates in Paradise (PIP) Festival in 2006. They really started the whole thing rolling. Captain Jim officially proposed the beginnings of the Mercury as a crew on December 11, 2006, based on the suggestions of the attendees at PIP to make a careening encampment. The name for our crew and ship was accepted in January of 2007.

The crew meets at several different events now, having spread out from PIP like a plague. With so many of the crew in the Missouri/Illinois area, we have begun to push local events in that region (Pirates of Paynetown, Fort de Chartres, etc.).

We primarily recreate life in the year 1720 and ask that new members to the crew consider a 'three year plan' when they join up. This is considered by most to be a fair period of time for a person to amass the kit necessary to represent the period well. No one is required to have a certain type of kit, especially from the word go, but there are enough craftsman in the crew and armchair historians to help any new crew member achieve as much potential as they may.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I can probably by-pass the 3 year plan, I have been re-enacting (Ancient Rome through WWII) for the last 25 years or so. I have backed off the F and I and Colonial though, getting to be "click-ish and uppity" in some aspects.I have no problem volunteering, but some folks forgot that I was using my vacation time to be there and looking after my 2 daughters.

I just want to get back into the FUN of it, I can be historically correct, document my items, and build, sew, make anything I might need........just wanna go play and drink grog sometimes though........

Sorry for the caffiene induced rant, we now return to your normally scheduled message board...

I have backed off the F and I and Colonial though, getting to be "click-ish and uppity" in some aspects.I have no problem volunteering, but some folks forgot that I was using my vacation time to be there and looking after my 2 daughters.

I just want to get back into the FUN of it, I can be historically correct, document my items, and build, sew, make anything I might need........just wanna go play and drink grog sometimes though........

That sounds like an excellent match with our crew from what I've seen. We've several very independent and rather non-conforming members who also want to do historically correct and document their stuff as well as possible (me most definitely included).

Mission_banner5.JPG

i feel your pain, wes. i'm doing almost zero colonial stuff these days. rev war was too snooty for me, now f&i is getting that way. i'd have to say pirate is my favorite thing going right now. its so laid back but you still get people doing it right, and researching.

definitely get in touch with the thatcher tribe and friends in st. louis, you're closer to fellow buccaneers than you might have suspected......;)

Alright, but I'll kill anyone who gets in the way of me killing anyone!

let me break it down for ya:

Wes

All the members are quite free and open with their information and idea exchange from my experience. This crew is nothing like formal as far as participation goes; you can choose what events and sorts of re-enactment opportunities at those events you wish to participate in. Although I've noticed that the staged mini-things are often kind ///////of fun to do; things like battles and sketch scenarios help make for a more interesting event.

Mission

I feel that if one of our crew is at an event.....the Mercury be.......because the one does and can carry the spirit of the Mercury......Yo Ho

Yo Ho.......

speaking of wich, the crew of the mercury ( currently sans flag ) will be represented at the blessing of the fleet in portage de sioux this saturday... adding some piratitude and a battle with the "gypsy rose" which is the featured boat...

And don't forget the St Louis Pirate Fest the last 3 weekends of September. We'd love to have ya land there for a bit.

Contact Silas or I if yer interested.

I have had a few emails back and forth with Mr. Thatcher, and I write here an idea I sent to him.

I work for the City of St. Peters, which is in the middle of building a 300 acre park with RV camping, and primitive camping with a 160 acre lake. Boat ramp is in, no gas powered boat allowed........I m thinking the city (which likes making money) and local pirates might come to an accord on a local Pirate Fest on water.......