Iron Caster?

Mission

Do we have someone here who can cast designs in iron? I have a medical instrument I want to make and I'd be interested in pricing the design and molding.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I am interested in having the dental pelican in this thread (post #132) cast:

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=1499&view=findpost&p=372814

I'd be willing to do the final machine and filing work on the part once it was cast. If it works, I might be interested in buying a bunch of them.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'd be willing to do the final machine and filing work on the part once it was cast. If it works, I might be interested in buying a bunch of them.

That may be do-able. I'll show that thread to him and see what he thinks.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I did not. I ended up buying this one off eBay:

Surgeon_The_New_Bone_Saw_Mark.jpg

It came from England, wasn't too expensive and dated from the 1750s, so I am really happy with it. Not quite the saw Woodall drew up, but close enough.

The pelican is another matter, though. I've never seen one for less than $500. I don't have the impression they were as common as bone saws. Surgeons generally avoided pulling teeth except as a last measure.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mission, it says on the link that the pelican is 'wrought iron' wrought iron is not a cast item, it is a forged item.

Cast iron tends to be brittle and may snap when force is exerted upon it. I think you want the rough form forged, not cast.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Mission, it says on the link that the pelican is 'wrought iron' wrought iron is not a cast item, it is a forged item.

Cast iron tends to be brittle and may snap when force is exerted upon it. I think you want the rough form forged, not cast.

I think he's right here. That spiral design on the handle comes from hammering in heated wire.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I think he's right here. That spiral design on the handle comes from hammering in heated wire.

Ah. My ignorance of period metalworking is showing. So...anyone know someone who can do that? That would be a blacksmith, I think?

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

The story is that I wanted a pelican, I found one on eBay that gave me enough detail to make an Autocad drawing and I contacted a blacksmith on Etsy who made it for me. See the updated photo in the Twill thread. I do not yet have it, but it looks outstanding and I am hopeful and pretty confident. This is probably the wrong place for this, so mods please feel free to move this thread into the Thieves market if it seems best, but the blacksmith can be found on Etsy here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/jenniferannmurphy

Jennifer is not the blacksmith, her husband Zach is. He's a really easy guy to work with, although, again, caveat emptor - I have not yet seen the final product. (Looks damned good in the photos - note the detail on where on the outside piece where the inside hinge is...I'm drooling here.) He was really quite excited by this project, although he had never heard of a dental pelican before. Again, see the Twill thread for info on that.

Mission_banner5.JPG