Firewood, Meals and Cooking

Lily Alexander

Various tidbits of information have been brought up in several different threads but I'll be darned if I can find anything. So here is our place to discuss meals, cooking and all things related to campfire needs.

First and foremost is the need for fire. As stated in the Poop Deck, https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=15863&st=0

"4- Fires and Braziers- There are only going to be 5 total fires allowed. This is the same number it has always been. We may have as many braziers as we want, and can use the ones that are in the encampment as well. We are trying to set the encampment up so that access to a fire will be easy. The fires are: 1-Fort, 2-Mercury/Hide, 3-BIB, 4-Archangel, 5-Buccaneer Camp/Hurricane's Crewe. We put the buccaneer camp and Hurricanes fires together, so that the Boucan Demo can have a front row placement, and so that there was a spread out of the fire placements. These are set up as "common fires" and anyone may use them for cooking, or bring a brazier for their own individual use."

"5- Firewood/charcoal- Please bring your own firewood for fires if possible. The fort will not be providing it this year. Since the pines are still standing, their source of wood has depleated and must be used for the volunteers that live at the fort. PLEASE DO NOT BRING BAYWOOD. It is the only restriction that I have been given regarding this. If there is anyone who needs to have wood brought for them (flying in etc.), please let me know as Tony will be driving from Cincinnati area, and will be able to haul some from there. If you want to do the charcoal for the braziers or park "grills" that would also work fine."

Last year, Captain Jim brought at least a face cord of wood and Edward brought down about 1/2 face cord and charcoal. Regrettably, Jim will not be attending and Edward has space and weight restrictions. We'll bring what we can but it won't be much. Therefore, we are in need of people to bring firewood and charcoal. If anyone locally can see if we can get firewood and/or perhaps wood pallets, that would be very much appreciated. Feel free to discuss all options.

Second, meals. Some meals are being provided this year. Dinner Friday, Saturday and Sunday are being provided while the lunch issue is still being worked out. We are on our own for breakfast and for all meals prior to Friday.

Last but not least, cooking. Everyone is welcome to cook their own, however, crews may want to combine their efforts. This includes the need for cookware, utensils, plates, bowls, cups and something to put in them.

Let the discussions begin.

YHS, Lily

Edited by Haunting Lily

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

In the past, I could care less about a fire pit.... well we did have one inside of the Fort about 4 years ago.... that was cool..... But one happily largish fire for everyone to hang around (the Silkies Hide last year) is doable.....

But for the Buccaneer Camp.... we really kinda need a fire.....

I'm hoping that Shay will be bringing some firewood for the Buccaneer Camp (I can't... I'm flying in..)..... I think making a grill type buccan and having some chunks of meat getting turned into buccan/jerkey would work out well.....

I will be bringing what I can for firewood along with Shay, however it is not that easy to come across laying on the ground. Regarding "Bay Wood" if that is simply drift wood it would be nice to have that clarified.

As to meals my wife and I will be cooking on a Thai version of a brazier or using what is available. We should be there all days so if someone is interested in eating Thai food we can cook for more however we ask to know beforehand as we will need to bring/buy additional food or buy more while in KW. A few dollars passed our way would be apperciated as well covering the food. At least one night I am planing on doing a BBQ (kinda hard to explain) but it is very good.

id.jpg

So only crews who post here are having fire pits? That hardly seems fair to the other crews who show up for this event, particularly since many of us hang around in the same area.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

"4- Fires and Braziers- There are only going to be 5 total fires allowed. This is the same number it has always been. We may have as many braziers as we want, and can use the ones that are in the encampment as well. We are trying to set the encampment up so that access to a fire will be easy. The fires are: 1-Fort, 2-Mercury/Hide, 3-BIB, 4-Archangel, 5-Buccaneer Camp/Hurricane's Crewe. We put the buccaneer camp and Hurricanes fires together, so that the Boucan Demo can have a front row placement, and so that there was a spread out of the fire placements. These are set up as "common fires" and anyone may use them for cooking, or bring a brazier for their own individual use."

Additionally IMHO these may not be because the crews post here but because these crews are known to the fort/planning personnel.

I would think you would want to spread them out geographically in the site and make them all basically common fires with a designated group taking responsibility for them. (Like the Hide. The Hide was truly awesome.) That way they are treated like shared resources, which is a good idea since we have a limit. Otherwise (looking at it a being someone from outside the groups mentioned) it smacks of elitism. I'm sure that's not the intent, but why even invite the potential for divisiveness?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I would think you would want to spread them out geographically in the site and make them all basically common fires with a designated group taking responsibility for them. (Like the Hide. The Hide was truly awesome.) That way they are treated like shared resources, which is a good idea since we have a limit. Otherwise (looking at it a being someone from outside the groups mentioned) it smacks of elitism. I'm sure that's not the intent, but why even invite the potential for divisiveness?

Mission, first of all, we are allowed 5 fires (one of which is in the Fort). At this point in time, this isn't a negotiating point. We have to deal with what we have to work with. As already stated in Fayma's post, these fires are spread out and are supposed to be used by all. Please don't start throwing terms as "elitism" around, some of us are actually trying to help organize and make the best of our limited resources.

Edited by Haunting Lily

For anyone else with this concern, please remember. It is always important to maintain a healthy sense of optimism, perspective and willingness to participate.

I spoke with a fellow years back who complained about an event he and I both attended. His complaint was this, no one had made him feel welcome. I asked him if he had introduced himself to anyone. His reply was a simple 'No'. I asked him if he actively participated in any of the activities. Again, he hadn't. I asked him if he had expended any effort in being a part of the event at all. Also a resonding negative. Then I asked him if he observed everyone else having a good time and interacting with one another. He had in fact observed them all actively getting to know one another. He had caused himself to be removed, while laying the blame at the doors of others.

The careful organization of fires or any other part of the festival by acting upon the familar is not elitism. It's structure. Just that. The firepits are placed somewhat geographically by camp position in conjunction with large familiar groups to create an ease of location and shared use. It also places the care and control of fire under the supervision of groups large enough to govern them solely for the purpose of maintaining fuel and safety.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I agree with all that, but the original post reads like only certain fires are common fires and seemed to me to imply that others were not, so maybe I am just misreading the post.

Please re-read my post and you'll note that it doesn't accuse anyone of elitism, it says smacks of it from the perspective of someone not in the groups specifically delineated. I also recognized in my post that there is a limit to the fires which is why I think they should all be open and inviting to everyone and geographically spread around so as not to appear to have specific crew ownership. (This was what I thought was so neat about the Hide. It was all of that.) Again, I may be just misreading the first post which to me sounded like the Hurricane/Boucan fire (and by implication of shared ownership, the Hide fire) were shared fires. If so, my apologies for misunderstanding.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I agree with all that, but the original post reads like only certain fires are common fires and seemed to me to imply that others were not, so maybe I am just misreading the post.

Please re-read my post and you'll note that it doesn't accuse anyone of elitism, it says smacks of it from the perspective of someone not in the groups specifically delineated. I also recognized in my post that there is a limit to the fires which is why I think they should all be open and inviting to everyone and geographically spread around so as not to appear to have specific crew ownership. (This was what I thought was so neat about the Hide. It was all of that.) Again, I may be just misreading the first post which to me sounded like the Hurricane/Boucan fire (and by implication of shared ownership, the Hide fire) were shared fires. If so, my apologies for misunderstanding.

No, I understood your post and you're right to make the observation. I'm just tabling the concern before it becomes rooted in anyone's mind. It never hurts to critique and observe the whole for the betterment of the individual.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

well............now on to....................the actual intent of the thread.....................................ssooooooooooooooooooo as long as Captain Sterlings ok with it(space wise) or if i can get it in dutch's trailer, ill bring down some big bags of charcoal with us. Im also bringing a dutch oven, and mabey a small brazier, for my self to give a shot at cooking on(are the park ones the type on tall stands or are they close to the ground?), if no brazier ill use which ever fire im closest too lol. Are there any grocery stores reasonably close to the site? Or anywhere else to get sundry goods?

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

well............now on to....................the actual intent of the thread.....................................ssooooooooooooooooooo as long as Captain Sterlings ok with it(space wise) or if i can get it in dutch's trailer, ill bring down some big bags of charcoal with us. Im also bringing a dutch oven, and mabey a small brazier, for my self to give a shot at cooking on(are the park ones the type on tall stands or are they close to the ground?), if no brazier ill use which ever fire im closest too lol. Are there any grocery stores reasonably close to the site? Or anywhere else to get sundry goods?

Thank you kindly sir. There are plenty of grocery stores and I'm sure we'll be making runs to the store. If you are truly up for an adventure, try to go with Grace and Edward................snicker.

It never hurts to critique and observe the whole for the betterment of the individual.

In fact (in the general sense of the world), I believe most individual misunderstandings could be quickly solved if all the parties involved would take the time to shift their perspectives. I find it a most stimulating exercise. Plus I love shifting between the forest and the trees...but I digress. Mr. Cross is quite right about the intent of the thread. B)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Various tidbits of information have been brought up in several different threads but I'll be darned if I can find anything. So here is our place to discuss meals, cooking and all things related to campfire needs.

First and foremost is the need for fire. As stated in the Poop Deck, https://pyracy.com/in...opic=15863&st=0

"4- Fires and Braziers- There are only going to be 5 total fires allowed...

Just looking for a clarification for the "Modern Camp" area... Braziers only, No Ground fires. Correct?

Are there specifications on what qualifies as a Brazier? (period only vs modern grill)

Thanks

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

First and foremost is the need for fire. As stated in the Poop Deck, https://pyracy.com/in...opic=15863&st=0

Just looking for a clarification for the "Modern Camp" area... Braziers only, No Ground fires. Correct?

Are there specifications on what qualifies as a Brazier? (period only vs modern grill)

Thanks

Good question Island Cutter. I will get an answer for you asap.

OH NO! not again! ill be packed with a bunch of cargo...deep inside dutch's trailer.........bound for the new world....and a new life......of ensla...*cough............. well that wasnt pc...and i dont mean period correct....sorry all....i couldnt help it... :3

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Listen to you... yer riding with me...granted I might have to tie you on the roof of the car with all the stuff we have to haul, but you won't be buried in the trailer... of course if it rains the trailer might be the better option... B);)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Good question Island Cutter. I will get an answer for you asap.

I spoke with Fayma in regards to having a ground fire for the modern camp. The question is being looked into and should be answered in the next couple of days. As to braziers, there is no restrictions as to what type of brazier you can use. I hope that helps a little for now.

I would very much like to have some munchies at the Hide during the day, cheese, nuts, dried & fresh fruit etc. ANY and ALL donations of food and money would be used to feed wayward and hungry volunteer folk (meaning those of us who are staying at the fort and a those known to us in kit).

Cross, it wasn't PC but only you could get away with saying it so ...I am glad you did, we are amongst friends here, it made me giggle coming from you.

I read Fayma's post and I read Lily's post. It was quite clear to me about the fires. I have never known a campfire that wasn't a community fire. I believe that the posts properly explained the issue with no grey areas.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I spoke with Fayma in regards to having a ground fire for the modern camp. The question is being looked into and should be answered in the next couple of days. As to braziers, there is no restrictions as to what type of brazier you can use. I hope that helps a little for now.

Thanks very much for checking on that. I don't know the dynamics of the Modern Camp area, and this will be my first PIP as a participant; but if I can be of any help as a "point person" while staying in that area, I will make myself available.

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

To make the best use of the fire in our region of the camp, we're working with St. Johnson and son of the Searle's crewe to coordinate all the cooking equipment needed and other fire issues, such as fire extinguishers and such. Consider this fire handled! :)

The Pyrates of the Coast will be using it for hot meals each night in concert with St. Johnson. Of course, others can use it too - we won't be using it during the daytime activities as we're too busy to do any cooking. So the fire is open then for all to use without any us being in the way. That said, our crewe won't be maintaining the fire when we're not using it. Just stoking it up for dinner-time.

Hope this helps in the planning. I think everyone with a fire needs a fire extinguisher nearby...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

To make the best use of the fire in our region of the camp, we're working with St. Johnson and son of the Searle's crewe to coordinate all the cooking equipment needed and other fire issues, such as fire extinguishers and such. Consider this fire handled! :)

The Pyrates of the Coast will be using it for hot meals each night in concert with St. Johnson. Of course, others can use it too - we won't be using it during the daytime activities as we're too busy to do any cooking. So the fire is open then for all to use without any us being in the way. That said, our crewe won't be maintaining the fire when we're not using it. Just stoking it up for dinner-time.

Hope this helps in the planning.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com