Starfire swords?

Gibbet Jones

What are yer plans for it mate?

To hang at yer side and look nice or will it be for "functional" reasons? :lol:

What you want a blade for is all about what kind you ought to get. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I've never owned one, but a few friends have them...

But it is a matter of taste. I find them to be well built and sturdy, but a bit too heavy for my taste. Also if you are looking for one of their stage steel models, in the past I have found that they don't round the point enough for my taste... However not everyone is as concerned about the point as I am, some are content with a dull edge.

They may have also changed the style of their blades in the last few years, in which case all of my thoughts are pointless and outdated.

Michael_banner.jpg

I've had several friends work for them at various fairs and such. Their blades aren't the prettiest you'll ever find but they're sturdy and functional. They'll last a freaking a life time.

errr.. and what michael said... all of the stuff I've seen is 15-20 years old.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

What are yer plans for it mate?

To hang at yer side and look nice or will it be for "functional" reasons? :lol:

What you want a blade for is all about what kind you ought to get. :lol:

A little of both, I am interested in a little stage combat at some point down the road.

No Cage for the bones of Gibbet Jones.

if what you are wanting is a stge combat...with a lifetime warranty....there's no better than STARFIRE....Zak even took our sugestions (Rats pushed it)...and built a better cutlass (not the brass hilted one...the other one)....but they are very genaeric in style....we are taking some starfire blades...and putting on new...more correct hilts....for fantastic bangers that last a lifetime....

but if ya just want a pretty one...or a more period peice with out the aftermarket....then there are better places to search

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

if what you are wanting is a stge combat...with a lifetime warranty....there's no better than STARFIRE....Zak even took our sugestions (Rats pushed it)...and built a better cutlass (not the brass hilted one...the other one)....but they are very genaeric in style....we are taking some starfire blades...and putting on new...more correct hilts....for fantastic bangers that last a lifetime....

but if ya just want a pretty one...or a more period peice with out the aftermarket....then there are better places to search

This one: 25 inch Cutlass?

I was wondering about the picture. Does the hilt have a bow?

These blades are created without edges or points.

I just saw the above quote on the left side bar of the web site... So it looks as if they have started making them without points, which was always the reason I shied away from them. That cutlass at $225 is a pretty good deal for stage steel, even if one wanted to put the work, time and/or money into re-hilting it.

Michael_banner.jpg

You mention "more correct hilts" are you referring to the 25" or the 29" having an incorrect hilt. Cause the one I have my eye on is the 29". I've been looking for a clear pic of the hilt on that one and as of yet have not come across one. I'm not an expert on the cutlass, But I'm looking for one that would fit the date of 1730 or earlier and be stage combat compatible.

No Cage for the bones of Gibbet Jones.

• 1 month later...

OK here's the scoop!

As my infamous comrade in arms Mad Dog has always said... There are two types of swords... Hangers and Bangers!!

Now the fault with many hangers is that they will not stand up to repeated banging... And unfortunately many bangers are not very pretty to drag along....

Now with that in mind, i pushed and begged Zak to make a generic cutlass with a suitable blade that can be tweeked if needed and a hilt added without effecting the blade...

The result is as seen on the web site. Currently I have both the original prototype and a newer version. Now I will say that the prototype is crazy heavi and will stand up to any of the swords out there and live forver!!! The new version is half the weight, and better balanced!!! I also feel that the blade will stand up to anything out there short of mallet!!

my one complaint is that there is a slight curve in the handle. If you order one from zak, I strongly suggest that you ask for either a straight handle, ask that the handle be curved the opposite direction or as I did, have my buddy Mr. March curve the handle for me.

I also had a simple shell put on the hilt and the blade weathered by Mr. March.

Now the reason I pushed for this blade was to have something that could stand up to Mad Dog's war cleaver!! There was no way I was going to be able to weid something like that plus that's not my style of fighting. I also wanted an option for our crew to have a unified standard for blades.

Now I know this might be a good amount of scratch to spend. Again, you get what you pay for! Mine's going on two or 3 years now, and MD has had his cleaver for some 10 or 15 years now.... And she's just starting to look good!!

Now an option that I will be pursuing is a mortuary sword from Kult of Athena.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortuary+Sword.htm

I plan to go with this for a hanger and a "lite" banger because one of my personnas is that of a down on his luck scoundrel who learned hi trade from an old highwayman... The old fella used to carry the old mortuary, which I'm told is actually kinda late for our period. So I plan to weather the crap outta the hilt and scabbard.

Then my plan is to keep the sword until the blade breaks or becomes too dented and scarred to safely use. Then I hope to buy a substitute blade (possibly from zak?) which can be redirected for more service..

Again the thing to consider is what the rest of your crew will be using and what they can handle safely.

I will also say that Mr. Bagsley has one of the best middle of the road blade I have ever seen. It both looks great and handles like a dream! She's also sturdy enought to stand up to some good banging!!!

What say's you Mad Dog?

Anything to add???

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

rule of thumb...if your goinna bang with them...by 2

usually...like minded blades will last longer than mixing up blaeds....for example....starfire vs starfire....paul chen vs paul chen....and the like

otherwise expect dings in the lighter swords(even when pulled blows and choreographed)....just used Sterlings NEW sword up against my Starfire...dinged the Captains blade...not bad..close in weight...but will have to get another like the Captains

so either get your partner(if doing stage) to agree on a maker....or by 2...(like i do) to share...all the blades will last longer that way...

my 2 cents worth

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

The Brotherhood of Steel (a loosely historical swordfighting group out of Iowa, I've been learning some swordfighting techniques from them) use Starfire swords. And they are highly recommended along with a couple other 'brands'. I've seen them in action, never really handled one. But yes, they are good. However, most I have seen have been the heavier weapons - broadswords and the sort.

Good luck with them.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

agreed with the starfires that BOS uses. They bought some F'uglies and have had some good fights with them! lots of clash and clang with nary a bad ding. Quite a few small nicks but still workable.

however, dont get F'ing drunk and try to bend yours in a fire. It became brittle and snapped. No, I didnt do it. I just saw the poor dog who did it, and just shook my head.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 3 months later...

Unfortunitly I've seen the same thing happen with Starfire sword and drunken idiots. I have used Starfire for years for both heavy and light combat from early 15th century to the GAOP timeframe. The only complaint I ever had was the leather tends to come loose rather quickly on the handle (or at least with the 4 I've owned) and the weight. I recently recieved a cutlass from 1st mate Matt at Baltimore Knife and sword and I will be honest, I am never going to buy from anyone but Matt from now on. The weight is perfect, the blades have an amazing sound and they have a more period look than other swords made by Starfire. Also remeber that Starfire's lifetime warrenty only stands if you only use your sword against another starfire. Matt guarentees his for life against any other blade. That, and he's a pub member so I have to plug for him. Love my new cutlass Matt!!!!