Baldric buckles made by Gibbet

Gibbet Jones

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

All the Spanish buckles are sold. I now have all the buckles in from the foundry and am currently putting the finishing touches on them such as the tongs and petina. Will start sending them out through out next week. I'm excited to get these out there.

No Cage for the bones of Gibbet Jones.

Huzzah for Gibbet!

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I am wandering wether I would like my Spanish buckle without the patina.

Preferably I prefure the look used but not ancient.

Especialy being an colonial Spanish officer I quess I would have a slave (or two) to polish my stuff recularly? dry.gif

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

I have not petinaed the Spanish buckles due to the nature of the design I have wire brushed them that gives them a semi polished apperance. The French buckles are all petinaed and all the English are green petinaed. The Spanish as you see it in the pic still has some of the original fire scale to it from casting giving it a darker patinaed look even though I did wire brush it as well. Over time being bronze it will darken naturally as time passed and you can choose to repolish as you desire. The other two that are petinaed I would not suggest polishing but you can make them shinnier.

I have not petinaed the Spanish buckles due to the nature of the design I have wire brushed them that gives them a semi polished apperance. The French buckles are all petinaed and all the English are green petinaed. The Spanish as you see it in the pic still has some of the original fire scale to it from casting giving it a darker patinaed look even though I did wire brush it as well. Over time being bronze it will darken naturally as time passed and you can choose to repolish as you desire. The other two that are petinaed I would not suggest polishing but you can make them shinnier.

Great, thanks for the explenation. Sound ok to me! Looking foreward to it.

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

I'm currently working on the buckle center pin. I have encountered a problem though and I need your help. I've been using brass rod and it will not handle the bends needed and keeps breaking. Dont know of any place that carries bronze rod. I can make them out of steel if that is not a problem.

Edited by Gibbet Jones

I'm currently working on the buckle center pin. I have encountered a problem though and I need your help. I've been using brass rod and it will not handle the bends needed and keeps breaking. Dont know of any place that carries bronze rod. I can make them out of steel if that is not a problem.

I think a lot of the buckle pins were made of iron anyway and thats why the buckles recovered from wreck sites have none as they have rusted off. So steel should be fine as far as i am concerned. Most replica buckles I have encountered have steel pins anyway.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Gibbet -

Have you tried heating the brass and bending? An alternate might also be bronze cotter pins, their already preformed. A lot of buckle pins I've seen are steel cotter pins with the bottom trimmed.

A number of years ago I bought two semi-finished buckles, one brass and one german silver both came with cast pins that had to be

finished and bent into place.

;) Perhaps in future castings a cast pin could be made into the design and cast separate but at the same time as the buckle sort of like the plastic tree on a model airplane, etc. parts.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I decided to go with modified steel cotter pins. I tried it out on all three of the designs and so far it works and looks great. Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Gibbet Jones