Baldric buckles made by Gibbet

Gibbet Jones

I've been working on some Baldric Buckles (or can be used as a belt buckle too). They are still wax models and I'm going to have them cast in bronze and antiqued. They measure 5 1/8 X 3 5/8. Only problem is they can only be done in a minimum order of 12. I will have to sell the other 10 in order to pay for the casting. If enough people here are interested in buying the other ten off me , I'll go ahead and have them done as it is nearly $500 to have them cast. I have more buckle designs in the works and this will be the first of my line, if I can move them out the door. I will put my logo (gibbet and bones) on the bottom of these buckles. Does $45 + shipping sound like a fair price.

Image067-1.jpg

No Cage for the bones of Gibbet Jones.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know . . .

We do operate a small foundry here and do casting in bronze.

What would be the cost for two? I need one for my baldric and one for future copies? This design may change yet I'm working on some more detailed versions carved into the wax from the same mold. As well as some entirely different designs.

Very nice work. Very nice, indeed. I'm always glad to see another craftsman on the Pub, especially one working with cast metals. Out of curiosity, is the design based on a period object or engraving?

Nope, the design is entirely from my head. I am looking for examples of decorative late 17th and early 18th century baldric buckles so that I can get a feel for the style and create some of my own interpretations. But the pictures seem to be very hard to come by.

We need to start a thread in Captain Twill devoted to finding you nothing but period buckle images in the hundreds and thousands. To the internet!

That sounds awesome I could reproduce a design from a good photo with measurements. Or just come up with something new which I like to do. But for the reenactors out there I understand reproducing what is historical.

Edited by Gibbet Jones

I improved the design further over the past couple days and I have to say I like this new look much better B).

Image008-6.jpg

I just have to put the bar back in the center and recast, mold, and sign and she's ready to be cast in

bronze.

Edited by Gibbet Jones

They are very cool. I will definately be up for buying some of them when you are selling them.

Here is a picture of a Pewter Buckle recovered from the wreck of a ship that sank in 1741 just off the coast of Mexico

458.jpg

Pewter buckle. 11.9 grams, rectangular, approx. 1-7/8" x 1-7/16" Highly ornate and beautiful buckle, the hasp and any attachments missing (just the main part), with Baroque scrollwork throughout the design on the front, plain back.

Its a little smaller than a baldric buckle but would look great scaled up to fit say a 2" or 3" belt

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

They are very cool. I will definately be up for buying some of them when you are selling them.

Here is a picture of a Pewter Buckle recovered from the wreck of a ship that sank in 1741 just off the coast of Mexico

458.jpg

Pewter buckle. 11.9 grams, rectangular, approx. 1-7/8" x 1-7/16" Highly ornate and beautiful buckle, the hasp and any attachments missing (just the main part), with Baroque scrollwork throughout the design on the front, plain back.

Its a little smaller than a baldric buckle but would look great scaled up to fit say a 2" or 3" belt

OHHHHH Beautiful! I like this one :rolleyes:, I will replicate this one as soon as I'm done with my next design! Keep em coming.

This is a Late 17th century/early 18th century buckle found in Chester UK

buckle.jpg

Copper alloy buckle with moulded decoration, a small fragment of leather survives attached to the central bar. Late 17th or 18th century.

These claim to be OLD SPANISH BELT BUCKLES FROM MAYBE 15-16th CENTURY from the caribbean in the time of Pirates:

2965_1243231789.jpg

SIZE 44 X 30X 2 MM

2961_1243231577.jpg

SIZE 60 X 54 X 10 MM

Also this website has a great collection of buckles recovered from shipwrecks.

http://www.artifacts.org/

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Great stuff Gibbet! How are you doing this (process)?

Here's a sample of the process involved in the buckle you see above.

1. Hand drawn sketch

2. Resized on computer and printed on paper

3. paper version cut into the clay

4. Silicone Casting of clay design

5. Wax poured into the silicone mold

6. wax version carved for fine detail

That's as far into the process as I have gotten. I still have to lost wax cast the design

458.jpg

oooh ok..I HAVE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news. I highly doubt I can get these finished. I can't afford any supplies anymore. I can how ever create designs from what clay I have left but that's where it stops. My hours being cut back due to people not spending money anymore locally has finally caught up with us, the city where i live is in a downward spiral. For now heat and food comes first. I will try to sell off as many of my possessions as I can to make it through the winter and catch up with past bills. I'll have to see how things look when spring rolls around to see if I can complete these.

Due to unforeseen circumstances the light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished! lol.

thats fantastic. what size belt does that take.

Hang in there on the money front mate. These buckles could earn you a fortune.

This one is for 2" width baldric.

I will also reduce this same design by half for small belts like those on hats. Maybe even shoe buckles.

Edited by Gibbet Jones