Pyrates on Etsy

Ransom

I added you as a favorite Blackbead! And I ADORE the brown skulls and The Tribal Queen!

Ahoy, shipmate!

Sorry I am just getting back to you now but I've been out at sea saying "farewell" to Cookie Bright, AKA J.L. Bright, poetess, AKA Jerri Sanders, my mom. She passed away last Monday night after a long, long illness. Mom was our ship's cook and a true pirate poet. Her paella was legendary, her stone pie was world famous, and her estate includes a percentage in Raising Black Flags. Her service was beautiful and we laid her to rest next to her mom. I'm very glad that you like the jewelry - Dad taught me how to make the stuff but Mom certainly gave me my eye for colors! Fair winds, mate! I've gotten another lesson in living each day like it be your last and it's a song I'll continue to sing.

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• 1 month later...

Oi! Me too! Me and me bonnie lass are starting up the Castaway Trading Company over there! Nothing nearly as fantastic as yours, PoD. Or others here, for that matter. But we're working on it! Have a gander:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/castawaytradingco

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Groovy!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I can see it now...."Pyrates Take Over Etsy!" ;)

Some new pieces in my shop, BTW. Take a look. ( Link in signature)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I've pondered etsy for a while. But still not sold on it. It didn't seem all to clear to me the charges (Yes, you can tell I once delt with eBay, so I'm beyond very leary).

Can someone clarify charges, etc to me about etsy? I'm pondering if it's even worth it or not. Otherwise, I will go with another place to go through and build a free website.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 4 weeks later...

Avast ye, mighty pleased and thankful fer yer listin of etsy pirate purveyors. Ol Caribbean Rose be proud to add er name to the list. Caribbean Rose Pirate & Vintage Millinery Emporium

www.caribbeanrosepirate.etsy.com

Me pirate emporium be loaded to the gunwales with the finest custom designed, handblocked , velour fur felt pirate, cavalier , steampunk and vintage inspired hats in any seaport.

Come visit me etsy shop, and place yer orders fer holiday gifts fer that special ladd er lass soon.

I wish ye all Faire Winds and Barrels O Rum,

Caribbean Rose Pirate Queen

Caribbean Rose Pirate & vintage Millinery Emporium

www.caribbeanrosepirate.etsy.com

I'm just bumping this up again, to remind all you scallywags that a lot of your mates here at the Pub make a great variety of things that would make perfect holiday gifts. So, scroll back through this thread, check out the goods available, and support a fellow pirate. Let's face it, we need the money in order to keep playing! LOL :D

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you all! :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

• 1 month later...

A question for all you Etsy Pyrates: Do you think that you get enough "traffic" to your site, enough browsers/shoppers to make it your exclusive web store? Is there a way to direct traffic to your site from the web at large?

OK, that's two questions.

Anxiously awaiting your answers.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

First, to answer Lady B's question.

It doesn't cost you to set up the shop, but they charge you .20 for each item you list, which is good for, I think, 45 days. If you sell something, they take 3%. If you never sell an item, and remove it, there is no percentage charged, unlike Ebay, which charges the percentage even if the item doesn't sell. Etsy explains all of this and much more on their site.

Captain Jim...

Etsy doesn't promote your shop, you have to do that. Think of it as your own web page, only you don't have to mess with getting a URL number. In that situation, you would have to do your own promo. They have promotions on Etsy that you can sign up for, but they charge extra for that — "featuring" one of your items for a day is about $7.00. I have never done that. I made my own business cards (on the computer) and hand those out. I also have links to my Etsy shop here in my signature, and on my blog site.

That said, I haven't been promoting my stuff as vigorously as I should. For me, the jewelry is something I do for fun, and if I make a few bucks, that pays for my supplies. However, this year I want to get things more professional looking on the site, and get more pieces out there for sale. I suspect that with Etsy, like anything else, you get out of it what you put in. Their site is very informative, with lots of tutorials, and a forum for questions, and the shop itself is easy to set up.

Hope that helps answer your questions, but I do really recommend going to www.etsy.com and checking them out.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Thanks, Ransom. I've been to the site and read extensively. What I really need now is some live, real person feedback. Basically, "Did it work?" ("I don't know; I don't feel any different" ;) )

There are several Pyrates here that have shops that are currently inactive, with nothing listed. Is it because they have no time for a "sideline" shop, the response overwhelmed their ability to produce or did it not work out for them?

What say you, oh Etsy Pyrates?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Ahoy all...

I am not a Merchant BUT.... I spend me coin at the Etsy site far more now then ever I did at eBay.

I find the people easier to contact, talk to, the choices FAR nicer (but then I adore home made...) and it's easier to get something fixed if needs be.

Point in fact, looky here...

I could not find a mermaid Skeleton neck-piece to suit these old eyes so I listed on the ALCHEMY part of Etsy and had several folks speak up to do custom work and make me what I wanted. And it's been a GREAT experience!

So there are more ways to contact buyers. Make your site stand out, send out emails and make it work for you!

By the way... attached below is the *almost* completed Mermaid, my homage to POTC 4. She's white Sterling Silver with a Black Pearl treasure in her mit. She is a Pin/Pendant so she's even more fun then I expected.

yes indeedy, I do LOVE Etsy! :)

Missed you all by the way.... :lol:

Mermaid Bones 9.bmpMermaid Bones 10.bmp

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 9 months later...

Oi Bess! I see ya' favorited our Castaway Trading Co. shop on Etsy just now! Thanks a million! Also, I figure this topic should be bumped :)

Sheesh, been a while since I've made port at the Pub... gotta catch up...

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 1 year later...

With the holidays coming up, I am reviving this thread. Many of your pirate friends have Etsy sites, where they sell their wares. Please look over what they have before you buy retail from the Big Box stores. The hand-crafted items you buy from your friends helps them pay for events they attend, and the clothes that they wear.

Anyone wanting to add a link to their Etsy site, please do. B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some of you I did not have in my friends so I think I have added all of you as of now. I have just bags listed on my site as well as a few Christmas stockings. I do floor cloths like the one Leigh and Keith have as well as Dutchman and William Red Wake and Gentleman Scotty has one he uses in his tent. Right now if you are wanting a themed tree skirt or stocking..let us know. I am also on Facebook as TheSmugglers cove or find us by email thesmugglerscove@yahoo.com. On Etsy we are RocKimDesigns.etsy.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png