PiP reps

michaelsbagley

Taking Hurricane's suggestion in this post to heart...

Could we get a show of hands of those willing to help out for the Mercury crew at PiP this year?

So far, Iron John, Kate Souris, and myself have offered to help. Mark G also offered to help out in a conversation we had in person over this past weekend. Anyone else care to throw their name out?

The above constitutes more than enough helping hands, but it is always better to have more volunteers than is needed, which could provide us all with the opportunity to elect the volunteers rather than being stuck with the few that offer. :blink:

Anyways, hope to hear from the rest of the crew.

Cheers.

Michael_banner.jpg

Michael.... Hey... don't worry about it.....

Lets put this into perspective.... William didn't run for the position of Quartermaster..... he got voted into the position (outta fairness to William... dang he gets along really well with people ... that's why the job got thrusted into his care....)

Heck... If I wasn't playing Buccaneer this year, I would have got stuck with the job.....(see... that's why I nominated William in the first place...)

But it's easy enough.... go to the morning meetings, (The hardest part about th' mornin' meetings is just getting up in tyme.)and pass on what was said..... It's not really a position of authority... it's just passing on information......

(Oh yeah... and something about getting chained to a tree.... but I can't really remember why we decided on that..... musta had something to do with th' Rum th' night before.......Or was it Mission's new bone saw.... drat... can't 'member.....)

Patrick, that is such an oversimplification. We are under a microscope this year as the park assesses our right to be there and their desire to have us there. The captain of the Mercury crew may have to be a bad-ass sometimes if someone is doing something that could get us not invited back. Equally, the crewe is going to have to listen and follow them.

Our behavior there will determine whether or not we are invited back to the Fort Fest. PiP will continue on regardless. But whether we ever camp at the fort again will hinge on this year. It's really not just passing on information, as in years past.

We will all have to be watching each other's back on this and this means the captains are going to have to be watching for issues that could ruin this event for everyone. It only takes one person to get us all bounced.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Ya know Hurricane,

While I appreciate the fact that we will likely be held under SLIGHTLY closer scrutiny this year with the new Fort management, and how we are perceived MAY affect the future of the Fort portion of the festival... I'm starting to get the vibe that there is a bit too much focus on that angle. It's really starting to feel like the Fort part of the festival is going to be a "rule by fear" type of environment (an exaggeration to make a point).

I agree we have to act and look smart, but we also need to relax enough about it to enjoy ourselves. And there just seems to be so much focus on the "don't do ??? or we'll get booted" mindset, it is looking like it may actually be a challenge to relax and enjoy any part of the event. I dunno, it just feels like the laid back take responsibility for yourself attitude and help keep an eye out, is being replaced by a "big brother" attitude.

I'm just rambling, I doubt I even make any sense.

Michael_banner.jpg

Don't get me wrong. We will have lots of fun there. But the difference is how we approach it. For example, my crewe (and some others here) are more formalized. If one of my crewe gets to drunk and starts peeing on the beach, I have the authority to slap them around verbally and even send them home. So our crewe knows the expectations, knows that I will be make them hold to their scheduling commitments and follow our own articles in the process.

At the same time, I don't think it's going to be the world of free love we all used to have. Harry let us get away with a lot of things that basically violated state law -- I don't think that will be the case this year. So we won't have as much latitude as in years past, but we can still have fun within the confines of the new set of rules.

Fayma has worked very hard to get this thing put together. Sponsors pony up a lot of money to make this all happen. Vendors pay a lot to travel here and sell. I just want to make sure we all are doing our part to make it a success so that the fort thinks we have value to them.

If it sounds a bit party-pooperish, it's not. But there are always people who think they don't have to answer to the rules or be like everyone else. And that can ruin it for all us.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Nah, you don't sound party pooperish!

My comment was really more intended to remind all to relax and have fun while being vigilant. I think I may have come off too negatively in my effort to say "stay positive". How is that for defeating the purpose of my own message? :P

Michael_banner.jpg

I can see your point, Michael and at the same time agree with Hurricane. Last year went pretty smooth as far as I know. Agreed that Harry gave us a lot of leeway. I think that if all the crews are informed of what the expectations are and follow the guidelines, there will be no real issues. I think that you should all be aware of the public when it gets closer to closing time, it will be helpful. One evening, I saw a couple of "bikers" roll in just before closing and heading straight to the pub. I found Harry and let him know and he and some others handled it. Some of the public might get caught up in the fun and want to stay past closing. That issue should be addressed. I also saw so folks that showed up the last day and started an small cooking fire. I hadn't seen them the whole event. I informed Harry again and left it to him to deal with.

I firmly believe that if the management sees the crews self policing themselves and following the base, unbendable, rules, there will not be any issues and fun will be had by all. The most fun is usually after the park closes and the public has left. Even though there will still be rules and regulations to be followed. Setting a chain of command within each crew, spreads around the tasks of making sure no one violates the rules and a good time is had by all. We are all mature people and if we act accordingly the management will probably loosen some of the rules a bit for next year.

I really wish I could be there this year.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I wish to correct a note here. I absolutely didn't mean to impune the Mercury crewe and my most sincere apologies if it came across that way.

In my missive, I had mistakenly assumed that all freelancing pirates who were not in a formal crewe fell under their guise. I have been informed that that is not the case.

My concern is only with the freelancers who are coming, those who may not even be on this pub. Like the drunken guy two years ago who lost a loaded powder flask on the grounds one night and the wench who pulled a real dagger and held it to the throat of a soldier as he lay on the ground, pinned by her.

I know that everyone here loves this festival as much as I do and wants it to be a success. Sorry for the confusion.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The captain of the Mercury crew may have to be a bad-ass sometimes if someone is doing something that could get us not invited back. Equally, the crewe is going to have to listen and follow them.

To quote Patrick, "There is no Captain."

That said, Hurricane is absolutely right. Patrick's comment about me 'getting along really well with people' not withstanding, I will not brook any sailor getting out of line. This is not to say that I'm not a patient fellow, but endanger a life or risk harm to the fort or property belonging to others and you'll hear from me nose to nose. Those awake and sober enough to hear me on my third night at PIP in 2005 will tell you that I don't mince words.

For those not in the know, I discovered some attendees that year attempting to climb parts of the fort that were closed to the general public due to safety reasons. They were climbing banisters (made mostly from brittle pvc pipe) in an effort to get up the fort walls in the dark. They were not only damaging the railing, but risking their quite foolish young lives in the process. They were not part of our crew at all, but this didn't stop me from putting on my prison warden face and giving them one very sound verbal thrashing, and none too quietly. They were putting themselves in harm's way, damaging fort property and risking the very future of our attendance. Needless to say, they never came back. I didn't even see them the next day. I reported the infraction and the damages to the railings to Harry, and he agreed that we were better for seeing the back of them.

Still, these infractions tend to be the exception, not the rule. I have seldom had to raise my voice, and only a few times ever to stop an act that would harm someone or weaken our good graces with the park. I have witnessed many crew members of different groups policing themselves and using the casual caution that makes PIP so pleasant year to year. Even those of us who have stubbornly disagreed at times online and in the public, tend to fall into a mutual understanding that allows the event to run smoothly.

These cautionary posts creep up on the Pub every year just before and after the event. It's a good sign that we care so much about the festival to caution one another about such things as safety, rules, property and the like. It's a good sign that we're all thinking about such things before PIP and reflecting and observing aloud afterward. This sort of well intended mindset keeps us all on our toes. It also displays that we have a good share of common sense, respect and an attention to details. If there were no rules, we'd probably just make them ourselves.

At PIP, as on any ship, the life and well being of any sailor is in the hands of every other sailor. Watch each other's back. Lend hands. Laugh long.

-William Brand

Quartermaster of the Mercury

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The captain of the Mercury crew may have to be a bad-ass sometimes if someone is doing something that could get us not invited back. Equally, the crewe is going to have to listen and follow them.

To quote Patrick, "There is no Captain."

That said, Hurricane is absolutely right. Patrick's comment about me 'getting along really well with people' not withstanding, I will not brook any sailor getting out of line. This is not to say that I'm not a patient fellow, but endanger a life or risk harm to the fort or property belonging to others and you'll hear from me nose to nose. Those awake and sober enough to hear me on my third night at PIP in 2005 will tell you that I don't mince words.

For those not in the know, I discovered some attendees that year attempting to climb parts of the fort that were closed to the general public due to safety reasons. They were climbing banisters (made mostly from brittle pvc pipe) in an effort to get up the fort walls in the dark. They were not only damaging the railing, but risking their quite foolish young lives in the process. They were not part of our crew at all, but this didn't stop me from putting on my prison warden face and giving them one very sound verbal thrashing, and none too quietly. They were putting themselves in harm's way, damaging fort property and risking the very future of our attendance. Needless to say, they never came back. I didn't even see them the next day. I reported the infraction and the damages to the railings to Harry, and he agreed that we were better for seeing the back of them.

Still, these infractions tend to be the exception, not the rule. I have seldom had to raise my voice, and only a few times ever to stop an act that would harm someone or weaken our good graces with the park. I have witnessed many crew members of different groups policing themselves and using the casual caution that makes PIP so pleasant year to year. Even those of us who have stubbornly disagreed at times online and in the public, tend to fall into a mutual understanding that allows the event to run smoothly.

These cautionary posts creep up on the Pub every year just before and after the event. It's a good sign that we care so much about the festival to caution one another about such things as safety, rules, property and the like. It's a good sign that we're all thinking about such things before PIP and reflecting and observing aloud afterward. This sort of well intended mindset keeps us all on our toes. It also displays that we have a good share of common sense, respect and an attention to details. If there were no rules, we'd probably just make them ourselves.

At PIP, as on any ship, the life and well being of any sailor is in the hands of every other sailor. Watch each other's back. Lend hands. Laugh long.

-William Brand

Quartermaster of the Mercury

So basically we need some safety-minded people to keep an eye on the camp and keep people from being stupid.

Mark

Well while i dont have much experience, i am a bit of a safety prude. I being a cast-away, accepted into the mercury camp, i offer my services, though in what capacity i may be of help is not yet known..............wow that came out really.....weird......

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

"I have witnessed many crew members of different groups policing themselves and using the casual caution that makes PIP so pleasant year to year." An example of why we made William quartermaster, his impeccable and seemingly offhand turn of a phrase. "Casual caution" as opposed to the oppressive police states that some venues become. At PiP everyone is looking out for everyone and newcomers feel so welcomed that they ask before doing something that might be out of line. It is truly hard to describe to someone who hasn't been there. Sort of like Woodstock for Pyrates. Even the lines demarcating this crew or that one seem to fade by day two, all of us just pulling together to make PIP work.

Mind now that hidden by this outer calm there lurks a collective cast-iron resolve not to have some twit screw this up. Were someone to do something dangerous, stupid or truly obnoxious you would quickly find out how many pyrates could dance on a pinhead.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Sort of like Woodstock for Pyrates. Even the lines demarcating this crew or that one seem to fade by day two, all of us just pulling together to make PIP work.

:blink: I love that comparison! Why aren't you coming?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sort of like Woodstock for Pyrates. Even the lines demarcating this crew or that one seem to fade by day two, all of us just pulling together to make PIP work.

:blink: I love that comparison! Why aren't you coming?

I remember Woodstock. My parents wouldn't let me go (I was eleven), so I kept up with the news reports and underground newspapers of the time. The national news reported one thing, the underground papers reported another; the papers had it right. I wish I had kept the papers.

I can't come because of some stupid stuff involving my wife's nitwit niece, her violent felon boyfriend (aka "Sponer" short for "sperm donor") their kids (a girl and a boy, ages three and five, whom we have permanent guardianship of now)and lots of drugs, alcohol, felonious behavior, child neglect and various other acts of stupidity. Nothing I couldn't solve with a good lawyer, two private investigators and round-the-clock security on my home. But, since I don't have those things, I'm on the hook at least for the security part. Also the hand-holding part to reassure Patti that we are indeed doing the right thing no matter what side of the fence the rest of her family happens to be on that day. Sometimes her relatives resemble the Grand National Steeplechase they jump the fence so often. So looking forward to next year, even if I have to bring everyone with me (which is not a bad idea except I might come home to my house burned down.) So it's up to you scurvy dogs not to scotch the whole deal with the new management...Savvy?

I know I've said this before, but I'm going to miss you guys. I think I'll set up the tent that week in the back yard and play Pyrate with the kids. Fire off the guns and the (little) cannons and cook bacon on an open fire. Throw some Lego's under my bedding and around the yard...oh, never mind, there's Lego's there already...

3ff66f1f.jpg

Basically, I think this has already been said....

WOT... we police ourselves...

If we are startin' to mess-up... someone else will ask if we think that is a good idea......

Do we really need a Captain wot tells you wot ye have ter do?

Or a Quartermaster wot suggests:... "that isn't sucha good idea..."?

We are all kinda adults.....SO far we have played that way.....

And it doesn't take a "Captain" or Quartermaster to tell you if you are startin' to mess-up... we all kinda keep an eye out fer everyone else.....)

Hey... if ye get too messed up on Deval Street..... I will help ye back to the safety of camp.... I Kinda expect th' same...... we take care of our own.....

We will do it at the Fort, and out on the Town......

William "out" as quartermaster? Never, says I! William is the oil on our troubled waters, the salve on our wounds, the monkey in our wrench...no, wait, that last one is kinda strange...Still, William is one of our greatest treasures and he doesn't even require a chest to keep him in. Just chain 'im to a tree...

3ff66f1f.jpg

Do we really need a Captain wot tells you wot ye have ter do?

Or a Quartermaster wot suggests:... "that isn't sucha good idea..."

I must have messed up on th' punctuation.....

It was suppose to read... wot would ye prefer... a Captain bossin' ye around, or a Quartermaster ... wot be suggesting other options.............

Ahw...Heck... still don't type out right.....