1859 Enfield Cutlass Bayonet

If you are referring to the Enfield sword bayonet, I made my cutlass from an 1853 original that had been altered beyond use as it was originally intended. The brass hilt with the necessary attachments and barrle ring had been hammered and brazed shut, and the spring/clip removed before I came by it. I turned it into a working blade that I love very much.

firstcutlass.jpg

I have changed the guard since this photo was taken, but this is the blade. Is it the same one from the article?

In this photo there is another blade I acquired that has no makers mark, or any other identifying marks, but appears to be from the same era. Brass hilt but swept curve as a cutlass.

arsenal2.jpg

I just googled it up, and saw the one you are describing. It is a Windlass reproduction, most likely well made, but not good unless you are doing ACW naval or coastal artilery. Out of period for the pyrate playgrounds, and with the barrel lug and ring, well, better to look at other options I'd say. Hope this helps.

Edit again, you have to be careful with claims made by some vendors, as they are not always historically accurate. I went looking through the Atlanta Cutlery site some more, and they also have a bayonet listed as an Enfield sword bayonet that is actually a copy of the 1863 Remington Zouave, not an 1853, 58, or 59 Enfield. I don't know where they got their provenace from in the claim that those cutlasses were imported by Union and Confederate forces for the nay or coastal artillery, but I have never seen one of those before now, and I have done ACW for a long time before I did colonial or pyrate. FWIW.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

my first cutlass was also made from an old bayonet ...can't beat the quality of the steel. I had ground it down and added a red stag hilt. I think it's still in the house in Scotland, in the corner of my bedroom cupboard. I'd forgotten all about that sword :lol: