Want a new project

MorganTyre

I've decided that I want to try my hand at making a sword. I am no stranger to metal work in general (of the cutting, shaping, grinding variety - I am no smith nor am I a welder) and I think shaping something from a good piece of steel (thinking a leaf spring) is within my abilities but I've no pattern to work from. Does anyone have any good detail drawings giving general proportions of a period hanger or cutlass? I'm looking for something with a relatively short blade certainly within 24 inches or so and with a relatively simple guard. I may be able to pull off a shell guard but I'll need to practice my chiseling technique. I plan to post a series of step by step pictures as the work progresses.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Sounds like a great project that the members of this forum will love to see step by step.

I would suggest getting a copy or reading over a copy of "The Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" by Nuemann. Has detailed stats of dozens and dozens of period swords.

If not I am sure I can find something for you. Give me a day or so.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Sounds like a great project that the members of this forum will love to see step by step.

I would suggest getting a copy or reading over a copy of "The Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" by Nuemann. Has detailed stats of dozens and dozens of period swords.

If not I am sure I can find something for you. Give me a day or so.

Thank you very much. That is exactly the sort of reference I was looking for. Excuse the ignorance, but was there much of a change in style in the hundred or so years between the beginning of the GAoP and the American Revolution?

Ropework_Header.jpg

Thank you very much. That is exactly the sort of reference I was looking for. Excuse the ignorance, but was there much of a change in style in the hundred or so years between the beginning of the GAoP and the American Revolution?

Yes you are correct, but the title of the book is misleading. "Sword and Blades of the..." while focusing on the weapons American revolution, contains examples of swords going right back to the early 1600s. The amount of samples increases as one moves down the time line, so for GAoP, there is only a dozen or so examples, but that seems to be more than most other books on the matter out there.

Michael_banner.jpg

I can imagine the tools someone would probably want to make this project easier, but what would be the bare minimum tools someone would need to even think about starting something like? and/or what do you plan on using?

Tools on my gonna use list are (and I know these because I use them on ALL of my metal projects):

Vise

4" angle grinder

Sander/Polisher (8 in I think)

Asst. Files

Hacksaw

Buffing Wheels / Polishing Rouge

Ball peen hammer

Torch

I'm reasonably sure I could knock this out using those alone but seeing as I am an impatient fellow and have access to the following I probably will use:

Plasma cutter

Big Belt Sander

Band-saw

As I progress though I'll explain what I used, what I could have used, and what I should have done instead (I do things the hard way typically).

Ropework_Header.jpg

Tools on my gonna use list are (and I know these because I use them on ALL of my metal projects):

Vise

4" angle grinder

Sander/Polisher (8 in I think)

Asst. Files

Hacksaw

Buffing Wheels / Polishing Rouge

Ball peen hammer

Torch

I'm reasonably sure I could knock this out using those alone but seeing as I am an impatient fellow and have access to the following I probably will use:

Plasma cutter

Big Belt Sander

Band-saw

As I progress though I'll explain what I used, what I could have used, and what I should have done instead (I do things the hard way typically).

I'll be interested to see how it goes, I never really got beyond the day dream since I think it would take me forever using the small torch I have.

Pirates of Reno

Pyrates Harbor

(like a myspace for pirates)

Well, I think I've stepped into another world here. On the tool front I just built a forge and am starting to practice some amateur smithing. To be honest, I've not stepped up in difficulty from what I was doing with torches but I have stepped up the scale. Actually, the idea was to save gas. The thing is charcoal fired and is crazy fun. I wish I had a decent anvil but I'll get there eventually and I do have plenty of other things to bang against. I may try my hand at a mains gauche or similar before stepping up to the sword. Will post pictures as I progress. I will start a new thread under crafts when I do though.

Ropework_Header.jpg

The privately made swords didn't change that rapidly over the time period; they did become more refined in detail or simplified. The swords used by the lower classes became very rudimentary as little effort was put into the detail applied to the hilt or the finish/polishing of the blade. The blades for those with the wherewithal to afford a more expensive blade got some well made and meticulously finished blades. As it is in more eras those with the gold get the best work available. I'm sure most common seaman or pirates used what was readily available whether it might have been captured military supplies or ones they had once their privateering days were done. Most countries with any colonial ambitions in the Caribbean would have shipped sword to their colonies and those were provided to local militias, not all of which were above a bit of independent acquisition by questionable means. Any prize the pirates would have taken that had arms on them would have given the crews an opportunity to resupply. I would be fairly certain that most ships would have had a mixture of blades for use by the crew. Once the blade was there they would have been passed along and there were some that lasted until they were used during the Revolutionary War.

Good luck on your efforts!!!

Edited by callenish gunner