POTC 4 is at this time....

Iron Bess

Honestly, I just hope they stick to the source material (Tim Powers' "On Stranger Tides") as closely as possible, taking into consideration their need to weave Sparrow et al. into it somehow. The book was great (bar the no-ending ending), and it could be just what the franchise needs to escape the poorly written drivvel of #3 (yes, I was one of the 5 people on earth who actually liked #2).

I liked the second one as well, I thought Davey Jones's lines were excellent.

No Cage for the bones of Gibbet Jones.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I just hope they stick to the source material (Tim Powers' "On Stranger Tides") as closely as possible, taking into consideration their need to weave Sparrow et al. into it somehow. The book was great... and it could be just what the franchise needs to escape the poorly written drivvel of #3

QFT.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Fourth "Pirates" Films In Hawaii

By Garth Franklin Tuesday January 19th 2010 09:28AM purates_article.jpg?1263914962 With "Lost" having shut up its Oahu-based sets on the Hawaiian Islands, Disney intends to keep using the locale with today's announcement that "Pirates of the Caribbean2_bing.gif: On Stranger Tides" is set to shoot on Kauai and Oahu this Summer says Pacific Business News.

The Rob Marshall-directed production is expected to generate an estimated $85 million in direct and indirect spending in Hawaii. Other film productions currently using the island state include Clint Eastwood's "Hereafter" which finished filming in Maui last week, and Alexander Payne's2_bing.gif "The Descendents" starring George Clooney which is in pre-production.

The fourth installment of the action adventure2_bing.gif film series hits theatres May 20th 2011.

Fourth "Pirates" Films In Hawaii

By Garth Franklin Tuesday January 19th 2010 09:28AM purates_article.jpg?1263914962 With "Lost" having shut up its Oahu-based sets on the Hawaiian Islands, Disney intends to keep using the locale with today's announcement that "Pirates of the Caribbean2_bing.gif: On Stranger Tides" is set to shoot on Kauai and Oahu this Summer says Pacific Business News.

The Rob Marshall-directed production is expected to generate an estimated $85 million in direct and indirect spending in Hawaii. Other film productions currently using the island state include Clint Eastwood's "Hereafter" which finished filming in Maui last week, and Alexander Payne's2_bing.gif "The Descendents" starring George Clooney which is in pre-production.

The fourth installment of the action adventure2_bing.gif film series hits theatres May 20th 2011.

This was also in our paper this morning. Thanks for printing it. :lol:

Just spotted this with m' weathered eyes on Yahoo...

Johnny Depp Sets Sail on Fourth 'Pirates' Movie

by Matt McDaniel · January 20, 2010

Captain Jack Sparrow will soon take to the seas again, and this time he is after the most sought-after treasure imaginable: the Fountain of Youth.

It was announced this week that the fourth installment of Disney's highly successful "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise will begin filming in Hawaii this summer. Johnny Depp once again plays the flamboyant Captain Jack, and Geoffrey Rush reprises his role as his adversary, Barbossa. However, costars Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are not expected to return.

The film's story is loosely based on the 1987 pirate novel, "On Stranger Tides" by award-winning fantasy author Tim Powers. The book tells the story of a young man -- coincidentally named "Jack" -- who is captured by the pirate Blackbeard and forced to join in the search for the Fountain of Youth.

Ted Elliott, the co-writer of the first three "Pirates" movies, said that the story of the novel just happened to align with where they wanted to take the fourth film. He told Empire magazine, "We wanted to do a story about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth, and Tim Powers wrote a book about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth... it just turns out that to do that story you would need that book."

Johnny Depp signed on to appear in the fourth movie in 2008, before there was a script. It was announced at the same time he would also be playing Tonto in a film version of "The Lone Ranger," but that project has been delayed until after "Pirates" is finished.

Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom have both said they had no desire to return for a fourth movie. Knightley said in an interview, "It was a completely fantastic experience, and it was an amazingly large portion of my life, but I don't think I need to go there again. I think that it's done." Also, the director of the original trilogy, Gore Verbinski, will not be coming back. He is being replaced by Rob Marshall, the director of "Chicago" and "Nine."

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" is scheduled to dock into movie theaters on May 20th, 2011. Johnny Depp will next be seen as the Mad Hatter in director Tim Burton's new version "Alice in Wonderland" coming this March. To see why he says the role is "a dream come true," watch the exclusive interview with him in the player below.

I guess we shall see if that is actually the title or not. And if this all be true. :D If if be tur that Barbossa returns... that will be fabulous!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome...

Oh, and apropos of nothing, I really like the blade in your new signature! Somewhat simpler than most of yours, yet very pretty to look at all the same.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

More for the rumor mill:

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2010/02/10/penelope-cruz-may-join-pirates-of-the-caribbean-on-stranger-tides/

Penelope Cruz May Join 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides'

February 10, 2010 |By: Scott HarrisComments (28)

That's the latest word from the Hollywood Reporter, anyway, which is reporting that the acclaimed Spanish actress is currently in negotiations with Disney to co-star in 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.'

That top secret project, of course, is the fourth entry in the wildly popular -- and equally profitable -- 'Pirates of the Caribbean' franchise, which has earned over $2.7 billion worldwide since the first installment set sail back in 2003. But while Johnny Depp is known to be on board for the latest go round, other 'Pirates' stars, including swashbuckling love interest and rival Keira Knightley, have declined to the chance to return, leaving the door open for others to strap on the eye patch.

Enter Cruz, who, despite worldwide acclaim for her work in dramas such as 'Volver' and 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' has yet to become a bankable star in America; her highest grossing film domestically was the animated rodent film 'G-Force,' with 'Vanilla Sky' being the only other Cruz film to crack the $100 million mark.

'On Stranger Tides,' then, gives Cruz a chance to establish herself stateside as a blockbuster actress while also giving Disney the benefit of her overseas renown, a significant advantage considering over $1.5 billion of the franchise's take has come from foreign receipts.

The movie would also re-team Cruz with Rob Marshall, who directed Cruz to an Oscar nomination in last year's musical dud 'Nine.' Marshall, who will be directing 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' under the auspices of returning producer Jerry Bruckheimer, plans to have cameras rolling on the film this summer in order to meet a May, 2011 release date for what is sure to be one of the tentpole films of next year.

Just how rich the film's booty is, though, may depend on Cruz.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I kinda' believe this one. And personally, I like the Penelope Cruz as a pirate idea. However, there is NO character in On Strange Tides that even remotely resembles her...

I'm really hoping Disney doesn't just make a complete hash of this. I keep holding onto that hope, but then, looking at ALL the other #4 movies I've ever seen (not including those originally intended to be part of a longer series), I can't say the odds seem good. If this works, it very well might be the first EVER #4 sequel that's actually good.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

As much as I look forward to the next POTC 4 movie, I hope it doesn't spawn yet another wave of Jack Sparrows at faire ad nauseum.

It was cool the first season. Now it just shows lack of originality.

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

Well if lack of originality is your issue then Renaissance Faires are the place for that. Over the years I have witnessed Jack Sparrows and Barbossas, Will Turners, Robin Hood, Thor, Zena, Star Wars Stormtroopers with the multitude of other characters from those films and virtually any other insane characterization attending the faires. You'd expect anything to change this go around? :lol:Yeah Right!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:And I've got a magical treasure map to sell you

And I've got a magical treasure map to sell you

How much for the map? I have this cow my mom wanted me to take to the market to sell. But, a magic map! That sounds a lot better because I don't know beans.

-Jack

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Well if lack of originality is your issue then Renaissance Faires are the place for that. Over the years I have witnessed Jack Sparrows and Barbossas, Will Turners, Robin Hood, Thor, Zena, Star Wars Stormtroopers with the multitude of other characters from those films and virtually any other insane characterization attending the faires. You'd expect anything to change this go around? laugh.gifYeah Right!!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifAnd I've got a magical treasure map to sell you

Well said! And it's true, through the years the ren faire circuit has seen a lot of fads. Xena, the Crow (for some reason), Robin Hood, the Three Musketeers, and now pirates, with Jack Sparrow being at the very forefront. When I worked the faire here in Colorado there was not a single day when I didn't see at least one patron trying on the role (usually more like 4 or 5). At the time, however, I was playing Sparrow myself, but in my own defence, I was one of the first, and started doing it LOOOOONG before all those others. I dunno, the fad will die off eventually, but there will still be those hard-core Sparrow impersonators, just like there are the hard-core Xenas, Robin Hoods, etc. who will keep doing it til the day they die.

Edited by Captain McCool

-Captain Jack Sparrow

STOLEN FROM DARKHORIZONS.COM

McShane Is Blackbeard In Fourth "Pirates"

By Garth Franklin Tuesday February 23rd 2010 12:11AM mcshane_article.jpg?1266905512 Some casting news makes one jump for joy, this is one of those stories.

Acting legend Ian McShane ("Deadwood," "44 Inch Chest") is in negotiations to play Blackbeard, the main villain of "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides", the upcoming fourth film in Disney's biggest live-action franchise says The Hollywood Reporter.

Born Edward Teach, the notorious English pirate Blackbeard captained the Queen Anne's Revenge and operated around the West Indies in the early 1700's.

Unlike some of his more bloodthirsty brethren, Teach was a smart businessman who used his fearsome image and reputation rather than force to get what he desired.

As previously reported, Johnny Depp will reprise his role of Captain Jack Sparrow in a story that revolves around the Fountain of Youth. Penelope Cruz was recently cast as the character's "foil and equal".

Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot penned the script with Rob Marshall directing and Jerry Bruckheimer producing. The film opens next May.

Oh, dear God, please NOT Penelope Cruz!!! ANYONE but her. Ok, not anyone... but there has to be some other better actress than she. She's reminds me too much of these teenage &*(#)@&*$# on Disney channel tv shows and tv movies already. It's stomach churning. If they are going to bring in a sexy woman, at least pick Angelina Jolie. Sad, but she may work. At least she can pull off the seductress well, like Black Syren suggested. Please, please, PLEASE... some other gal. I don't want to vomit and be sick during the film. I want to at least enjoy Barbossa.

Already... I am taking these rumors worth their weight in salt. Until I hear from Iron Bess here what the word is... I'll take it as nothing more than a worthless rumor.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Well, this may just be more rumor-mongering, but from everything I have heard and read, Cruz is confirmed.

IMDB still lists her as "rumored," so I may be wrong about this, but I'd be willing to lay good money that she's in. And really I don't know what's wrong with her. She's a helluvalot better than someone like Miley Cyrus, etc. She's done quite a few good films in her career. And while none of the really goods ones have been recent, I believe she has the ability to make an excellent female lead, as long as the script doesn't suck (which I am in no way ruling out...)

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I think they should get an 'unknown' so there are no preconceived images.

If I have to see Brangelina on the cover of one more magazine, I'm throwing my frozen peas at it in the checkout line.

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

Oh, dear God, please NOT Penelope Cruz!!! ANYONE but her. Ok, not anyone... but there has to be some other better actress than she.

~Lady B

What about her twin sister Salma Hayek?

(Ok, they are not related, but geeze, they look a lot alike.)

Unlike some of his more bloodthirsty brethren, Teach was a smart businessman who used his fearsome image and reputation rather than force to get what he desired.

"...a smart businessman"? Do go on...It'll be interesting to see how they twist that silly idea around. (I'd say he was more of an effective marketer than a smart businessman.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

"...a smart businessman"? Do go on...It'll be interesting to see how they twist that silly idea around. (I'd say he was more of an effective marketer than a smart businessman.)

Actually they are running with that ball and have cast Donald Trump as Black Beard. In fact as he rows off and abandons his crew on the Queen Anne's Revenge he shouts "You're FIRED!"

Yes Virginia.... I can confirm that Ian McShane will be Blackbeard in POTC 4.

All the haggling is complete.

And yes, you have Penelope Cruz on board as well.

C'mon.... Ian will make up for that. :blink:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I am totally psyched about McShane. I've only ever seen him in one episode of Deadwood, but from what little I've seen, the man is bloody perfect for this role!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 3 weeks later...

Tony Swatton of Sword and Stone flew in to Blatimore this past weekend to spend 3 days with me at my sword making event. We talked about POTC 4 a bit. Seems there is going to be a ton of sword play. Penelope Cruz is siad to be a duel weilding dagger fight I believe. Said to play the nemisis of Capt jack in a sort...

From everything he told me it seemed like it was going to be fun.

If he gets overloaded with orders for the movie he is going to try to hire me for a time to help him in the shop...Cross your fingers on that one for me!

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

What's so bad about Penelope Cruz? I liked her in Volver.

Oh, and my fingers are crossed for you, Matt. :D

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG