POTC 4 is at this time....

Iron Bess

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I think they're really down-playing McShane's costume. Which is a bummer. He's freakin' BLACKBEARD! He should be HUGE and imposing, and in your face! Just my opinion, but still...

And yes, "the Locker: Multipe Jacks" is home to MANY of us wobbly-legged, dreadlocked nutjobs. And a fine bunch of folks, too! Most of them are just interested in Jack, but some of us have also branched into other aspects of piracy - even historical!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Unfortunately, I think they're really down-playing McShane's costume. Which is a bummer. He's freakin' BLACKBEARD! He should be HUGE and imposing, and in your face! Just my opinion, but still...

I think this is Felix Leiter syndrome at work. When they made Dr. No they decided Jack Lord as Felix was too strong a characterization - he sometimes appeared equal to Bond in some scenes. Well, they couldn't have that. So Lord, who was originally signed to reprise the role, was cut out and they switched to using less appealing actors for the role in some of the other Connery films (Goldfinger & Diamonds Are Forever, for example.)

I would loved for them to have used Rik Van Nutter as Felix (he was in Thunderball) because he actually looked like the character Fleming described in the books, but they again thought he upstaged Connery (which is actually impossible - he's too strong an actor) and trimmed many of his more potent scenes out of the movie. Fleming saw Leiter as the CIA equal to Bond and a pal where the moviemakers saw him as a distraction and a device to further the plot. It's too bad, really

And yes, "the Locker: Multipe Jacks" is home to MANY of us wobbly-legged, dreadlocked nutjobs. And a fine bunch of folks, too! Most of them are just interested in Jack, but some of us have also branched into other aspects of piracy - even historical!

I just thought it was funny that the "official" message board has a whole forum devoted to Jack impersonators. I guess it makes sense in the broad scheme of things. What keeps Jack in the public eye is probably a good thing so long as he doesn't do anything that creates really negative press.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Aye, agreed entirely with that last bit. Luckily none of us Jacks have yet done anything REALLY bad. I would hate for a Jack Sparrow impersonator to be the reason for all pirates being branded with a bad name.

Which is a really ironic statement, heh...

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 4 weeks later...

Some interesting boat pics from filming:

Black Pearl Article on the Cargo Law website

Captain Duncan McGuyver

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Juryrig

MDRF Based Social & Renfaire Crew

The Juryrig

Port Tortuga

A Piracy based Pennsic household

B09 Block, The Highlands (Up Hill & Left)

Port Tortuga

• 1 month later...

Youtube has a good number of vids on behind the scenes home videos which are very interesting. Barely giving way to the plot but giving us hints and snippets of what's to come. Thus far, I like it! Except for Penelope Cruz's outfit, which could have been changed to look a little more decent and realistic. Elizabeth Swann had better outfits!

Otherwise, everything looks awesome! And Ian.. wow! He looks great at Blackbeard! Cannot wait to see it!

Oh, and I heard that Judy Dench is in the film. I'm guessing as a cameo. Any confirm or deny this?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Youtube has a good number of vids on behind the scenes home videos which are very interesting. Barely giving way to the plot but giving us hints and snippets of what's to come. Thus far, I like it! Except for Penelope Cruz's outfit, which could have been changed to look a little more decent and realistic. Elizabeth Swann had better outfits!

Otherwise, everything looks awesome! And Ian.. wow! He looks great at Blackbeard! Cannot wait to see it!

Oh, and I heard that Judy Dench is in the film. I'm guessing as a cameo. Any confirm or deny this?

~Lady B

Dame Judi confirmed it herself, I believe.I concur on Elizabeth Swann's outfits being better than Penelope's. So far- yawn.

And I have NOT seen a good pic of Ian as Blackbeard to make me think he looks great..the one's I've seen so far are side views/back views, and nothing really that looks as fierce as I imagine Blackbeard should look. I'm waiting...I'm waiting..

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Bet she plays a villainess, the Queen or the head of MI-1 (the Jack Sparrow "period" equivalent of MI-6).

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

LOL... something like that, Mission. They only said she was a "Noble Woman" that Jack Sparrow ravages and robs. LOL Such a pirate he is. :)

~Lady B

LOL... something like that, Mission. They only said she was a "Noble Woman" that Jack Sparrow ravages and robs. LOL Such a pirate he is. :)

Oh, and poor, darling Hector definitely looks like he's got a peg leg. I'm curious how he lost it.

~Lady B

• 1 month later...

I would much rather have a good actor play the role than a bad actor who happens to be 6'6". They could have just as easily used an apple crate below the guy if they wanted him to be tall. Dustin Hoffman has been using one for decades. :lol:

This isn't a bloody documentary -- it's a fantasy for god's sake. Enjoy it for what it is.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Haha... poor Dushin Hoffman... He made a good Hook though!

As for McShane, I'm pretty thrilled about that casting decision, but I am admitedly a little bummed at his height (or lack thereof). Also, his costume looks way too "biker pirate" for my taste. But that's just me.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

i fully agree with that, atleast make blackbeard look good since he was an actual character who exsisted all the other characters are fantasy, blackbeard should be tall and not on a crate -disney should look more on fact than fantasy when adding characters who exsisted in the real world it would make more sense plus would give a little reality to the part being played, it would be nice to see more original facts than fantasy. i agree with an actor who has experience like dustin hoffman but if ya do the research you can find it. i understand disney and do enjoy the fantasy, it would be nice to see more reality behind the movie and give people a sense what piracy was like in the real world that we enjoy re'enacting, would you want to see a pirate faires all fantasy or more reality. ask your buddies what they think, movies should have both fantasy and reality, blackbeard should look the part by addind a fantasy look it down grades the historical attributes.

And Peter Ustinov didn't in Blackbeard's Ghost? :lol:

Moviemaking by its very definition is about interpretation. Jean Lafitte didn't look anything like Yul Brynner, but I liked him in The Buccaneer. It goes back to, these are not documentaries and the use of historical characters within a broad and even sometimes ludicrous context is part of the rich fabric of the cinema. I certainly know that Cleopatra looked nothing like Elizabeth Taylor, but I enjoyed the interpretation nonetheless. And I know for certain that Mr. Potato Head never really sounded like Don Rickles. At least not my Mr. Potato Head (but I digress into something extensive and expensive therapy already addressed). :D

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Haha... poor Dushin Hoffman... He made a good Hook though!

As for McShane, I'm pretty thrilled about that casting decision, but I am admitedly a little bummed at his height (or lack thereof). Also, his costume looks way too "biker pirate" for my taste. But that's just me.

He only says a few words in the newest trailer but I think he is playing it with a Spanish accent (to go with his daughter?).

Mark

the actor doesn't need to look exactly like the act being played but i should resemble the figure being played , we know through historical documents and ledgers that blackbeard was 6' plus and should atleast tower over jonny depp as i would be more convincing on the big screen. since jonny depp is short and they have a blackbeard the same size in frame as jack sparrow, its all fun but really disney should look at some reality when making films.

Therein may be the issue, sir. Often the lead has a say over others in the cast. A lead actor rarely wants to be shorter than another in the cast. It isn't a good star quality to be short looking. It's often in the contract.

It's always a good call to go in costume, says I. Been doing it since Roman Polanski's Pirates. Adds a little character, especially when you be sneakin' in some rum. :)

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Haha, that's the spirit Hurricane!

As for Blackbeard's accent... well, I'm not sure really... I didn't think much of it, but you may be right. In the Tim Powers novel he's described as having a strange accend that can't quite be placed, but I think it's clear they're not using much of the book... so I really don't know. I certainly hope he doesn't play him Spanish... that would be bloody bizarre...

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Ah...much like my accent, then. Well, people *say* I have an accent...I grew up in the Army, and as a result, I've had people claim I'm anything from Irish to Aussie...even French, scupper me hide!

Haha, that's the spirit Hurricane!

As for Blackbeard's accent... well, I'm not sure really... I didn't think much of it, but you may be right. In the Tim Powers novel he's described as having a strange accend that can't quite be placed, but I think it's clear they're not using much of the book... so I really don't know. I certainly hope he doesn't play him Spanish... that would be bloody bizarre...

Damn, thats sharp!

Now, now, Gents. Simmer down there.

Tis a bit premature to be dissing Ian McShane's Blackbeard, especially the height. This is Hollywood, they hold tricks. Let's see how McShane places Blackbeard before we take notice of anything else. I think they wanted this look so McShane doesn't look like all the mass amounts of paintings and characters of Blackbeard already. There have been several Blackbeard characters on screen that have looked like the paintings and engravings. I think Disney wanted to go a different route with Blackbeard's look.

~Lady B

Now, now, Gents. Simmer down there.

Tis a bit premature to be dissing Ian McShane's Blackbeard, especially the height. This is Hollywood, they hold tricks. Let's see how McShane places Blackbeard before we take notice of anything else. I think they wanted this look so McShane doesn't look like all the mass amounts of paintings and characters of Blackbeard already. There have been several Blackbeard characters on screen that have looked like the paintings and engravings. I think Disney wanted to go a different route with Blackbeard's look.

~Lady B

I think that the primary casting choice had to be someone who could hold his own against Depp and Rush. Most actors would disappear into the background when in a scene with these two scenery-chewers. Beard, height, and age (the real Blackbeard died around the age of 38) are secondary considerations. Getting an actor with enough stage presence was a make-or-break decision.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Whew, it's been a long haul since I have been a vistin' this site. I just landed on the latest

trailer today...wow I was impressed. The only other trailler I saw was just Jack yacking at

the camera with the hint of Penelope in the cast.

I was impressed...I so far like Blackbeard..love that wooden leg (assuming from the quick

trailer bits..that was his). Wow May is around the corner...I had a news article about the

next POTC on the outside of my cubicle wall for the longest..and now it's around the corner.

Hussah..can't wait..hmmm sneaking in some rum tis a might fine idea!

Hey we don't have a drinkin' emoticon no more?

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg