POTC 4 is at this time....

Iron Bess

Bruckheimer Scales Down "Pirates 4"

By Garth Franklin Tuesday May 4th 2010 07:46AM 000503676957_article.jpg?1272977229 Those "Pirates of the Caribbean" are taking a pay cut it would seem for their next outing reports The Los Angeles Times.

Disney has apparently imposed a more constrained budget which "Bruckheimer is scrambling to meet" before filming begins on June 14th.

The first film cost $140 million, the subsequent sequels escalated to a whopping $225 million and $300 million respectively. The new fourth entry will be cut back but still hover at around the $200 million mark.

To achieve this the film's shoot is expect to run around three months instead of the nearly five months it took to film the last one, while visual effects shots will be cut from around 2,000 to 1,300. There'll also be more land-based filming.

Bruckheimer says this approach has caused him to "make painful decisions that cut into some very entertaining sequences."

SHARE:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mates,

The Pirates crew is about ready to leave for locations.

Rob Marshall will be gone at the end of the week. (We need his office too so timing is everything!)

The WONDERFUL Stunt crew (who has been working out in the old Prop warehouse) is gathering gear as we speak. Going to miss them... terrific bunch! ;)

Will keep you up to date as we roll along if anyone is interested on news from the distant inside. ;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

'Pirates' No Longer of the Caribbean

by Mike Ryan

Remember "Smokey and the Bandit"? Not to say the first two films of that series were examples of cinematic glory, but the dismal "Smokey and the Bandit 3" -- which had to cut its two leads as well as the director because of insufficient funding -- made it quite obvious what cuts in the budget can do to a film franchise.

Whether or not you recall the lesson imparted by this early '80s Burt Reynolds movie sequel, the news that "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," had its budget cut by more than a third doesn't exactly bode well for what we're going to see next.

The good news: Captain Jack Sparrow, the breakout star of the film franchise played by Johnny Depp, is back. Also, Penelope Cruz has signed on to play a love interest for Sparrow. The not-so-good news: director Gore Verbinski and the overwhelming majority of the big-name cast is not returning -- including Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.

Perhaps most devastating (at least from the perspective of a "Pirates" purist), is the news that the fourth installment of the franchise will not be shooting in the Caribbean (you know, like the title says) or Los Angeles. Those locations have been scrapped for the less expensive Hawaii and London. Perhaps the film should be renamed, "Pirates of the Thames: Maybe We Can Also Use the 'Lost' Set." And for the crew hoping to get a tropical suntan -- or perhaps acquire a Madonna-like accent -- they're out of luck: shooting has been cut down from 145 to a lean 90 days.

Like the "Pirate" predecessors, the fourth installment is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer -- producer of films such as "Armageddon" and "Top Gun" -- someone who isn't necessarily used to budget cuts. The cuts stem from the new studio Chairman Rich Ross who has tightened the budgets considerably since taking over for former Chairman Dick Cook, who was fired from Disney in September of 2009.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" will be directed by Rob Marshall. Though Marshall won an Academy Award for "Chicago," he's not exactly known for being a director of action films. Other films to his credit include "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Nine."

Actually, I'm kinda glad they are being forced to scale back the SFX. That's what I liked about the first movie, the SFX were at a minimum. More land-based filming works fine for me. I won't miss Orlando or Keira, but I will miss Pintel and Regetti, Cotton and his parrot, and Marty.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Yeah, to be honest, I was much happier when it was less about the CGI and more about... oh, I dunno... the PIRATES. Just saying.

However, the more I hear, the less I expect Tim Powers' novel to have ANYTHING to do with this movie. So far I've read a few minor spoilers that have started floating around, and the ONLY element from the original On Stranger Tides that appears to have made the transition from page to screen is Blackbeard.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

As long as it is about pirates being pirates and actually well written and internally consistent, rather than an epic mess w/ HUGE plot wholes and incompatible dialogue . . . I'd be happy.

I just wish the various other rumored pirate films would actually get made and the genre could be actually revived as a real genre, rather than a single film series and a number of re-aired TV programs.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

'Pirates' No Longer of the Caribbean

by Mike Ryan

Remember "Smokey and the Bandit"? Not to say the first two films of that series were examples of cinematic glory, but the dismal "Smokey and the Bandit 3" -- which had to cut its two leads as well as the director because of insufficient funding -- made it quite obvious what cuts in the budget can do to a film franchise.

Whether or not you recall the lesson imparted by this early '80s Burt Reynolds movie sequel, the news that "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," had its budget cut by more than a third doesn't exactly bode well for what we're going to see next.

The good news: Captain Jack Sparrow, the breakout star of the film franchise played by Johnny Depp, is back. Also, Penelope Cruz has signed on to play a love interest for Sparrow. The not-so-good news: director Gore Verbinski and the overwhelming majority of the big-name cast is not returning -- including Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.

Perhaps most devastating (at least from the perspective of a "Pirates" purist), is the news that the fourth installment of the franchise will not be shooting in the Caribbean (you know, like the title says) or Los Angeles. Those locations have been scrapped for the less expensive Hawaii and London. Perhaps the film should be renamed, "Pirates of the Thames: Maybe We Can Also Use the 'Lost' Set." And for the crew hoping to get a tropical suntan -- or perhaps acquire a Madonna-like accent -- they're out of luck: shooting has been cut down from 145 to a lean 90 days.

Like the "Pirate" predecessors, the fourth installment is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer -- producer of films such as "Armageddon" and "Top Gun" -- someone who isn't necessarily used to budget cuts. The cuts stem from the new studio Chairman Rich Ross who has tightened the budgets considerably since taking over for former Chairman Dick Cook, who was fired from Disney in September of 2009.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" will be directed by Rob Marshall. Though Marshall won an Academy Award for "Chicago," he's not exactly known for being a director of action films. Other films to his credit include "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Nine."

A budget cut of "more than a third" means that they will only get to spend $200 million instead of $300+ million. PoTC3 was one of the most expensive movies ever made. This is still close to the budget of PoTC2 ($225 million).

It was made plain from the beginning that Bloom and Knightley would not be in it - their story is told. This writer comes across as a hack who realized that he can get picked up by predicting bad results.

I agree with your assertion, MarkG. This person is also presenting rather old news like the public wouldn't know. Bloom and Knightly have been pretty open about not coming back from the very beginning.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Rossio Shoots Down "Pirates" Budget Talk

By Garth Franklin Thursday May 6th 2010 07:41AM pirate_article.jpg?1273149885 "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" co-writer Terry Rossio has shot down the recent L.A. Times article about the film's budget being cut back. Responding on his official message boards, Rossio says:

"My guess is the budget on P4 will be higher than P1, in the realm of P2, and lower than P3. (And the difference there has more to do with the difficulty of shooting two movies, deadlines, hurricanes, tank issues, multiple star salaries, and myriad other details.) Hard to even tell, as the budget on P4 contains various tax deferments, and the decision has still not been made to shoot in 3D. Actually, the budget on P4 isn't even set yet, so really, there is nothing to report.

The truth is, the studio and everyone involved fought just as hard to lower the budgets of P1, P2, and P3 as they are on P4. Nothing has changed. Are there budget meetings on P4 to look for ways to get the most for the money? Of course. Same as on every film. It's a complete non-story. But now the 'spin' is out there, sure to be repeated."

Now if only as many people would see the Rossio article as have read all the other ones...

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I sent that article along to the gal who really takes care of the lads.

It was somehting I knew they would be interested in.

It would seem so!!

HA! :D

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Well done!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 4 weeks later...

Well now, I've been out of commish for a spell but I'm sure you all know that the crew is now in Hawaii and shooting has started.

The Gods help the locals. They have yet to forgive us for LOST. :P

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

One less issue that those involved with PotC4 won't have to deal with - an ever growing oil slick! Geez! Can't complain about them not wanting to be in the Caribbean for this one. Hmm... I'm curious how th' story will go though.

BOOTY TRAPS- I mean, Booby Traps! Don't forget th' Booby Traps! ;) Oh, come on! Just imagine Jack attempting ALL those same issues the Goonies went through to get to One-Eyed Willie's loot? Hehehehe. :) Fun image, isn't it? Especially Jack playing the Bones organ?

Can't wait. And hope all be having fun in Hawaii with the shoot.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I can't wait for POTC4 to hit with a bang. I'm sitting on a boatload of collectibles from the other films and am looking to make a killing when I sell off my collection. ;)

I'm trying to save up for a trip to Key West.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Yes, but at least they'd be all natural Booby booby-traps...no artificial filling at all. sorry, still thinkin' of them mermaids...

One less issue that those involved with PotC4 won't have to deal with - an ever growing oil slick! Geez! Can't complain about them not wanting to be in the Caribbean for this one. Hmm... I'm curious how th' story will go though.

BOOTY TRAPS- I mean, Booby Traps! Don't forget th' Booby Traps! :lol: Oh, come on! Just imagine Jack attempting ALL those same issues the Goonies went through to get to One-Eyed Willie's loot? Hehehehe. :) Fun image, isn't it? Especially Jack playing the Bones organ?

Can't wait. And hope all be having fun in Hawaii with the shoot.

~Lady B

Damn, thats sharp!

From all that I have heard, this is indeed a lie.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

HitFix.com

google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);« Return to Article | Print Page

‘Pirates of the Caribbean,’ ‘Cars’ sequel included in Disney, IMAX 3-D deal

‘Mars Needs Moms’ with Seth Green and Joan Cusack also on deck

By: Katie HastyWednesday, Jun 23, 2010Walt Disney Studios and IMAX have signed a three movie deal sending three titles to the big-big screen in 3-D next year. “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides,” “Cars 2” and “Mars Needs Moms” are all included in the expanded partnership, with each to be re-mastered for the screens and sounds of IMAX theaters for 2011.

The “Pirates” sequel with Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz is due out May 20; the second of the “Cars” Pixar films will drop June 25; and the animated, Seth Green- and Joan Cusack-voiced “Mars” will be released March 11.

The last “Pirates of the Caribbean” film, “At World’s End” from 2007, has a $309,420,379 domestic gross to date. The first “Cars” movie, out in 2006 with Owen Wilson and Paul Newman, did 244,082,964.

Disney’s most recent 3-D endeavor "Toy Story 3," played in IMAX at 180 of the 4,000 theaters in the United States. $8.4 million of the film's opening gross of $110 million.

Want to be an extra?

http://www.sandealessicasting.com/open-calls.htm

I'd cut an paste the text for the above link but I am having issues with their site this morning. Anyways they are casting pirate extra this week and next go to the website to get the info.

Hey, I got the cut and paste to work so here's the text.:

Pirates of the Caribbean "On Stranger Tides"

- Los Angeles -Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Open Casting Call

Shooting in Los Angeles

August 2010

PIRATES

Looking for authentic-looking scavenger-types… ages 18 to 60s, all ethnicities, especially extreme characters – very thin, lean body types, very tall, very short, emaciated, odd features, huge nose, bulging eyes, big ears, lazy eye, grizzled and wrinkled faces, odd body types, missing teeth etc. Not looking for hearty eaters….me ‘earties…

Sande Alessi Casting

13731 Ventura Blvd. 2nd Floor

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

Monday, June 28th through Friday July 9th

Our open casting call hours are Monday-Friday 3:00pm to 5:00pm

Please do not ALL come on Monday!!

Show up mid-week to avoid long lines.

***There is no experience necessary***

BRING a 3 x 5 current color photo. (Does NOT have to be professional.) No wigs, makeup or sunglasses in photos and please shoot it from the waist up. If you do not have a current color 3x5 photo, we will take one for you for $2.00.

BRING a pen or pencil.

You do not need to prepare for an audition, we will be simply have a look at you, have you fill out a registration card, attach your photo and send you on your way.

Do not say AARGH in your photo!

You must be 18 years or older and be legal to work in the U.S.

Please bring change for parking meters.

For more information please see our website at

www.SandeAlessiCasting.com

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!