Pen pals...

LadyBrower

We be but 'umble pyrates, Miss...

Readin' and writin', well those be things for those above us...

Goode Quartermaster James I would think that one of your station must requires that you read and write, how else keep you the books?

To those of you who have uneducated characters I would suggest that you could "hire" someone to write for you or perhaps a friend or mate could write for you. This would make it so that you could participate and remain illiterate. Murin "Silkie" McDonough writes to her cousin Fionn who sails on the crew of the Archangel. Since Fionn can neither read or write they must rely on better educated crew mates to facilitate their communication.

Goode Quartermaster James I would think that one of your station must requires that you read and write, how else keep you the books?

Shhh...I was trying to sneak by icognito like...

Books? I don't need no stynkin' books! I keep it all in my head!

You know, like a photogenic memory!

Of course, that's just some of them. If I think of any more, I'll post them for you. Have fun trying to write like that. :P (It's bad enough trying to read it.)

I thought of three more things to make it a nice round 20.

Oh...and Ed...I actually screwed that apostrophe up (something that trips me up way more than it should, I must confess), but it was pretty funny. So I am incorporating it. :rolleyes:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Certainly made me chuckle :rolleyes:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

This page may be helpful.

How to Read 18th Century British-American Writing

http://dohistory.org/on_your_own/toolkit/writing.html

I forgot about this page, but I found it when looking for the above page, But it may be useful (or else why would I have bookmarked it?)

English Handwriting 1500-1700

http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/ceres/ehoc/index.html

You forgot rule #18. No smileys :rolleyes:

Wow... =P Lovely.

So any suggestions on matching people? I think both matching on the basis of common interest (housewife to housewife, Man to Man, same age. Whatever) and in different views of life (wife to sailor, priest to prostitute =P) could potentially interesting.

Or we could all have several acquaintances?

Hmm no reason why you couldn't write to more than one persons...the Verneys wrote hundreds of letters with the head of the family feeling it was his duty to write just about everyone in his area whether blood relative or no... the question then becomes why are you writing them? Business? Personal? Which could help with your character development even to the point where you start questioning yourself as to would you really be discussing such things with person X.. ? Really helps with the mindset of the period...

I guess if you get folks who are interested to jot down their character you could start pairing them off after wards...

For instance for Sterling to write his wife, sister and even his estranged father makes sense. For Sterling to write the laundress of an opposing ship...? why would he? unless... hmmm there were perhaps some alternative motive ....

Oi Silkie... if you bribe the captain enough he could write for Finn ... just think, because Finn can't read, all the extra news that could be put into the body of the letter regarding what Finn has really been up to.... :rolleyes:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Penning a letter to my sister...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

:-) I figure if everyone who wants to do this says so here, interested parties can PM each other for addresses. Sound good?

Obviously, I want to participate. =)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Perhaps if everyone posted a brief bio so others know who to hook up with as well

Crewe of the Archangel

Forasmuch as those here presente doe be of like mind to embark upon this venture, it would seem most meet and rite to determine, as would be advised to All setting out upon a new course, in exactly which country and year they do finde themselves, for it would be most remiss to speake of things not yet accomplifhed and be like unto the fortune tellers of Egypte, causing a great murraine to those unfortunate soules as to know what the future may hold in store. Nay, yet firther to mention that one must be at all times and in all cases circumspect in ones correspondance, that details and facts may not be revealed to the Enemy, such as are all about us in these times, not only those of the foriegn countries, but such evil persons amongst us who might pray upon the Unsuspecting and cause great loss of life liberty and goods to those whose words may fall into the wrong hands. Therefore I would say unto you All that we must be most certaine to whome we are penning such missives, and to what end they may be, in some future time, used, whether fairly or foul.

I doe trust that this find you in the best of health and your family likewise.

Hawkyns

By my hand, this 26th Day of October

At the Black Horse in Skipton High Street

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

hmmm if the people in the earlier time frames, say 17th century, didn't mind playing "older" acquaintances... then Great Uncle could possibly be reminiscing to the "younger" generation..or providing guidance, etc.

Crewe of the Archangel

hmmm if the people in the earlier time frames, say 17th century, didn't mind playing "older" acquaintances... then Great Uncle could possibly be reminiscing to the "younger" generation..or providing guidance, etc.

Oh yes, I like this very much!

And yes, everyone posting a short bio would be good as well. I'll take a moment later on to write my very limited understanding of who I am.

Hawkyns, I thought perhaps that even those who are close in years could agree upon on with which to start (say, one person who does 1706 and another who does, say, 1711 could start with 1705 or even earlier). This would allow a broader time frame to learn from, and as you move forward in time one will have knowledge of past events in a "first person" context and be able to regal visitors with your past. And indeed, we must take care with whom we share details... Though it would make an interesting twist should one know that a certain piece of information caused such and such an event in history.... =)

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

Indeed that might have a possible outcome, supposing that such a short span of years would be acceptable to All, but not all here inhabit that span of years known in the common tongue as the Golden Age. Indeed, seeing the world as I do, from that age in which Gloriana shines Her resplendant light on her subjects, it doth seem att great odds with those who shall come after. That one should post the tale of one's life would be a preliminary devoutly to be wished, ere setting forth upon such a Venture, knowing that the doing of such would for certain sure keep us from confusion.

In haste,

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 4 months later...

And now, for your edification, a page from the book I am currently reading...attempting to read...pissing and moaning about having decided to read...(chose one) that will help you with your period writing skills, or the lack thereof. Introducing The Frenche Chirurgerye by Jacques Guillemeau as translated (in a manner of speaking) out of the Dutch translation of the original French book into English (you'll have to diagram that sentence to make any sense of it) by one A.M., who was so embarrassed by his efforts that he wasn't even willing to give us his full name.

Enjoy this on-going paragraph of impossibly spelled words and period writing idiosyncrasies. Feel free to report any significant findings about medicine back to me if you make it all the way through. <_<

Guillemeau_Intro.jpg

(If it wasn't such an important book, I'd have put it aside by now. This is the exact size in which the thing prints out. Some fun, eh?)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh my.... Well, doesn't that look fun. Thank you for posting.... and I will read it when I don't already have a horrible headache. :-P