Foc'sles

jollyjacktar

So, I have a foc'sle.

and even cooler is that it is inside a reproduction 17th century ship!

What I don't have is documentation either written or drawn about what this wonderful little area on the the vessel is supposed to look like.

About the vessel, she is a 42 ton square rigged topsail ketch circa the 1670s. She's small, around 75' in overall length and 53' on deck. Used for coastal trading work here in the new world, travelling as far out from Charlestowne as Barbados and as far north as Massachusetts. Now back to the foc'sle, architectually she's not all to large, but has two larboard and two starboard berths and a ladder betwixt them that opens to the forward hatch, some room forward and aft of that and thats all she wrote.

Anyway here is a picture of what it looked like completely empty.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =217401146

I would love to find some documentation about how I could dress out this area on the ketch, but if all you have are "period suggestions" then I'll take those as well.

Thanks in advance

Yr hmbl srvnt

CJ

• 4 weeks later...

So, I have a foc'sle.

So, some of us had it cut off at birth...

As "We of the Tribes" know, once snipped, the ends are sent to Ireland. There, they are planted in the ground and when they grow up, they send them back here as Cops!!

So, I have a foc'sle.

and even cooler is that it is inside a reproduction 17th century ship!

What I don't have is documentation either written or drawn about what this wonderful little area on the the vessel is supposed to look like.

About the vessel, she is a 42 ton square rigged topsail ketch circa the 1670s. She's small, around 75' in overall length and 53' on deck. Used for coastal trading work here in the new world, travelling as far out from Charlestowne as Barbados and as far north as Massachusetts. Now back to the foc'sle, architectually she's not all to large, but has two larboard and two starboard berths and a ladder betwixt them that opens to the forward hatch, some room forward and aft of that and thats all she wrote.

Anyway here is a picture of what it looked like completely empty.

http://www.facebook....photo.php?pid=3 ... =217401146

I would love to find some documentation about how I could dress out this area on the ketch, but if all you have are "period suggestions" then I'll take those as well.

Thanks in advance

Yr hmbl srvnt

CJ

You need to make a field trip to Jamestown and check out their ships. The Godspeed is about your size. The Dove at Saint Mary's CIty is a bit smaller but well outfitted.

Mark