Thigh Holster and Dagger

Piratelooksat40

My wife would like to have a dagger for her costume and we were thinking about getting one that she could attach to her thigh. Anyone have any thoughts as to where to get one?

Daggers are easy to come by what kind how much do yea wish to spend what size and then the scabbard will help determine haw yea attach it to the costume or thigh ;-}

sze52q.jpg

You know, I always wondered about this. While it is a sexy idea, it would seem that a blade holstered to a thigh...under skirts and possible mantua or more, would be quite difficult to actually get to in a timely manner. Were they actually used? Were daggers in stays more likely (as that seems more practical to me).

Are you talking period dagger and female attire of fantasy pirate for said dagger and thigh rig?

Do ye mean me or Piratelooksat40? :o

For me - I mean in reality - not fantasy - having a dagger strapped to a thigh seems like a counter-intuitive idea to me, due to not actually being able to get to it in anything but an awkward manner - rendering it pretty much useless in an actual fight.

• 1 year later...

Checkout the movie Cutthroat Island, Morgan (Gina Davis) wears a thigh rig for a pistol. :rolleyes:

Jas.Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

If I recall correctly, she just has it strapped to her thigh with two leather belts. But I may be mistaken, as it's been a while since I have seen it.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

If I recall correctly, she just has it strapped to her thigh with two leather belts. But I may be mistaken, as it's been a while since I have seen it.

Ha-Hah McCool! Then it be time to peep under her skirts again. :rolleyes:;)

Jas Hook :D

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

Ha-Hah McCool! Then it be time to peep under her skirts again. :rolleyes:;)

Jas Hook :D

I made one of these rigs for a lady a good number of years ago. It worked out quite well, and may still be in use. It looked great, and was quite stable and secure in use. The pistol in question had a belt hook installed, so the entire pistol was visible when the skirts were raised. The rig was very compact, and neat looking.

>>>> Cascabel

Ah-Ha - Sure it would be Cascabel himself to be fooling around under a lady's peticoats first. :rolleyes:

McCool, I peeked last night, I watched a bit of Cutthroat Island last night and Morgan's rig is attached to a waist belt which also holds a knife sheath. The portion of 'holster' looks rather long and narrow and strapped down in two places along her thigh. I think that Cascabel's suggestion of using a pistol's belt hook slid into a leather holder is more accurate than use of an actual holster of any sort..

Jas. Hook :D

Ah-Ha - Sure it would be Cascabel himself to be fooling around under a lady's peticoats first. :rolleyes:

McCool, I peeked last night, I watched a bit of Cutthroat Island last night and Morgan's rig is attached to a waist belt which also holds a knife sheath. The portion of 'holster' looks rather long and narrow and strapped down in two places along her thigh. I think that Cascabel's suggestion of using a pistol's belt hook slid into a leather holder is more accurate than use of an actual holster of any sort..

Jas. Hook :D

The one I made incorporated a waist belt, with a single vertical strap that was secured to the thigh with two straps. The belt hook slid into a narrow "pocket" on the vertical strap. The vertical strap was made in two layers, with a simple slot to admit the belt hook. Looks much better than any kind of bulky "holster" type of arrangement. Make sure the rig rides low enough on the thigh to not interfere with sitting down.

>>>> Cascabel

Huh... sounds cool. I really to go back and watch it, because I seem to have missed the actual construction of the thing. I have the DVD sitting right here next to my computer, but finding the time on the other hand...

Anyhow, it'd be neat to see someone whip something like that up.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Hey, cool! Thanks!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Are you talking period dagger and female attire of fantasy pirate for said dagger and thigh rig?

Do ye mean me or Piratelooksat40? :o

For me - I mean in reality - not fantasy - having a dagger strapped to a thigh seems like a counter-intuitive idea to me, due to not actually being able to get to it in anything but an awkward manner - rendering it pretty much useless in an actual fight.

I've been thinking about this. I doubt that women expected to use hidden daggers in a fight. A little dagger isn't going to help against someone with a sword or even a big knife. This is more like something you would pull out to stab him with when he isn't expecting it.

Or in the Victorian tradition, to stab yourself with in order to escape a fate worse than death.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Before I became a bladesmith I used to craft custom gun rigs for reenactors.

One of the most important things to remember when deciding on how you are going to carry is to try it out. Kluge up a similar rig and see if it works for you.

I suspect that historical references to weapons under skirts (ladies of the night excepted) are mostly referring to ankle rigs (which work rather well) or to smuggling where access wasn't really an issue.

Ones like the ones in the screen shots are most likely used to give an excuse for the actresses to lift their skirts on screen.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

Ben Potter, Bladesmith Privateer Armoury Going Afloat Blog